Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
I looked at them at the show £299 if I remember . For a 45% cooling I thought I could buy a portable air con unit or one of these cool my camper units .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dazzles
Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
How much did you pay for that?
I don't want to disappoint you and I really hope it works for you but it's a fan with a puddle of water in it. Build quality looks great but a scam in my opinion. (n)
:LOL: Thanks for that. Unless the ones that were on display are totally different from the one we bought I think it’ll do a great job.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
When using ours we improve the efficiency by using refrigerated water and pre frozen small cool box packs; in doing this we were very happy with the performance whilst in 39c temps(y)

du162

Free Member
Feb 19, 2017
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
A Clss
Exp
Hi daz
Have you tried this yet ? I’m looking for something like this to keep the dogs cool in the awning.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
How much did you pay for that?
I don't want to disappoint you and I really hope it works for you but it's a fan with a puddle of water in it. Build quality looks great but a scam in my opinion. (n)
The principle isn't a scam. The water evaporates and cools the air. Devices like this are fairly widely used.

Of course this means it makes humid air and if the moisture condenses it will give the heat up again but the main issue with them is they aren't very powerful, compared to a "proper" system working like a refrigerator. But they will cool a bit and that will make some difference.

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
I can remember as a kid my parents had a fridge they used to leave outside the caravan that they used to pour water into a trough on the top . The evaporation of the water then cooled the inside of the fridge .

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I can remember as a kid my parents had a fridge they used to leave outside the caravan that they used to pour water into a trough on the top . The evaporation of the water then cooled the inside of the fridge .
Perhaps the water helped cool the condenser. On some commercial fridges the defrost water goes into a tray underneath and part of the condenser pipework is routed through it, works well AND gets rid of the water. The thing is with water it doesn't evaporate or boil at a low enough temperature (100c at atmospheric pressure) so it makes a bad refrigerant, but the condenser is hot ie closer to 100c so the evaporation temperature makes more of a difference.

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
Osokool was just a free standing fridge with no gas or electric .

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The principle isn't a scam. The water evaporates and cools the air. Devices like this are fairly widely used.

Of course this means it makes humid air and if the moisture condenses it will give the heat up again but the main issue with them is they aren't very powerful, compared to a "proper" system working like a refrigerator. But they will cool a bit and that will make some difference.

The thing they shouldn't do is call it an air conditioner.

It isn't in any way shape or form.

All it does is make the air humid. There's no guarantee that it will have any cooling effect whatsoever and the hotter the weather the less effect it will have up to a point where it will actually start to makes things worse instead of better.

It's not even new technology. Similar devices have been available for years and they've never ever been any substitute for proper air conditioning.

Anyone who parts with any money expecting it to be anything other than a fan with some water in it is destined for disappointment.

Picked one up at the show today, looks a great little piece of kit.

http://transcoolgb.com/

For that sort of money you could have bought a real air conditioner that would work.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
evap.jpg
This is the sort of unit that works quite well in the inland areas of Australia (low humidity) and are often used for shops where you cant really keep the door closed as they don't work well in a closed area (you need airflow) they cost about 5c an hour to run compared with compressor types. There is a pump that wets the tops of the mats mounted behind the grills and a about a 15" fan that sucks the air thru and blows out inside the building . As the humidity goes up they are less effective . I would consider the little unit you bought would have very limited effect and usability in UK , considering power of airflow and humidity range . Sorry to rain on your parade :)

OP
OP
Dazzles
Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
Hi daz
Have you tried this yet ? I’m looking for something like this to keep the dogs cool in the awning.
I’ll take it out if you want a look at it mate.

For all the air con engineers on here, the demo units were blowing out cooled air, simple as that.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I’ll take it out if you want a look at it mate.

For all the air con engineers on here, the demo units were blowing out cooled air, simple as that.

No they weren't, simple as that (y)

It's simply not possible to chill air without a compressor and gas.

All it was doing was taking air at a cold ambient temperature and adding a minimal amount of humidity to it which may or may not have made the output air seem cooler.

It's autumn now. It's cold so it's the perfect time of year for the people selling this sort of junk to fool people into believing that it's doing something.

See how "cooled" the air is when you try using it in the South of France or in Spain in August (y)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Perhaps they put ice in the water tray... Or even dry ice :ROFLMAO: (-67°c :ROFLMAO:)

Edit: sorry, it's not funny.

OP
OP
Dazzles
Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
No they weren't, simple as that (y)

It's simply not possible to chill air without a compressor and gas.

All it was doing was taking air at a cold ambient temperature and adding a minimal amount of humidity to it which may or may not have made the output air seem cooler.

It's autumn now. It's cold so it's the perfect time of year for the people selling this sort of junk to fool people into believing that it's doing something.

See how "cooled" the air is when you try using it in the South of France or in Spain in August (y)
Anyone who was walking around hall 20 at the NEC will tell you, it was not “cold ambient”

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Perhaps they put ice in the water tray... Or even dry ice :ROFLMAO: (-67°c :ROFLMAO:)

Edit: sorry, it's not funny.

The more than likely do use something like that.

Anything to fool people into believing the sales pitch (y)

This is yet another one of those low end products that have been around for years that aren’t selling in the domestic market anymore because the real product, in this case real air con, has come down in price so much so some genius has the idea to bung a cheap 12v fan in it, treble the price and market it as “designed for motorhomes” :rofl::rofl::rofl:

The sad thing is how many people keep falling for it.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Seem to be getting a lot of advice from people who don't actually own one nor tried one out. Testimonials from anyone who has actually had one would be good.

It’s an evaporative air cooler, they all do exactly the same thing. It’s not new technology and it’s never been an anything other than a very poor substitute for real air con. I’m sure pretty much everyone has tried a version of it at some point or another.
Go back 10 or 15 years when real air con was very expensive these things were popular because they were cheap. That’s until people realised that they don’t actually do anything when it’s hot enough for you to want to use it :rolleyes:

I suppose it’s fine for what it is - a fan and a bowl of water, which, incidentally, would actually have exactly the same effect for about £345 less - but nobody should be fooled into the believing that it’s an effective means of air conditioning regardless of how slick the sales presentation is.

Deleted User
Well Dazzles looks like that's it, no one is going to cut you any slack, seems you've bought a plastic box and a fan.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Well Dazzles looks like that's it, no one is going to cut you any slack, seems you've bought a plastic box and a fan.

There will be a little pump there as well but basically yes exactly (y)

evap-cooler.jpg

As long as the water stays cooler than the ambient air temperature it will have some very minimal cooling effect. If the water temp gets higher than ambient air it becomes a rather effective blown air heater with the added bonus of raising the humidity as well (y)

OP
OP
Dazzles
Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
@NickNic you’ve put a lot of effort in to persuaeding me not to buy something I’ve already bought, thanks. I’ll report back on this thread next year as to how effective it is, for the benefit of anyone looking for something like this.

nelly

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090DF A Class
Exp
Since 2002
Mine seems to work just fine from the 12v and not kill the battery i have used it in Spain in very hot weather. Bought it a couple of years ago at the Norfolk show
Neil

OP
OP
Dazzles
Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
Mine seems to work just fine from the 12v and not kill the battery i have used it in Spain in very hot weather. Bought it a couple of years ago at the Norfolk show
Neil
Listen pal, @NickNic says you cannot change the laws of physics. This unit can’t possible work, sorry.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
@NickNic you’ve put a lot of effort in to persuaeding me not to buy something I’ve already bought, thanks. I’ll report back on this thread next year as to how effective it is, for the benefit of anyone looking for something like this.

Not trying to persuade you to do anything. You've already dropped a wedge on it, you pretty much have to think its great now don't you :whistle:

I've been putting the effort into hopefully saving anyone else from being taken in by the dishonest marketing and believing that the device is in any way shape or form an air conditioner. (y)

OP
OP
Dazzles
Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
Not trying to persuade you to do anything. You've already dropped a wedge on it, you pretty much have to think its great now don't you :whistle:

Somebody who has one and used it in hot climates has told us all it works just fine. Why are you still commenting?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Somebody who has one and used it in hot climates has told us all it works just fine. Why are you still commenting?

I'm sure it does work just fine for a fan and a dish of water.

Anyone who says it works fine as an air conditioner obviously has no idea what an air conditioner is supposed to do or, as Richard says, they've realised the mistake they've made by dropping £350 on a pup and can't bring themselves to admit it (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back