Tranny in limp mode.....occasionally (1 Viewer)

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
I thought I’d post my recent experience for information and also to glean some insights from more qualified members about this ( that means most of you).
And has anyone else had similar puzzles with a mk 8 tranny.

Our transit is mark 8, 2015 (no add blue) 9k on the clock, first service Jan 18 at 8k miles.

On the M1 information light saying service due came on( not orange dashboard service light warning), lost power having to change down to third on long incline after steaming along in 6th. on speed control.

Next day nothing going full steam. Then over next few days the information message came on service due. Then randomly losing power again one morning. But no problem after lunch when enginge switched off. Then the orange service light on dashboard came on. I rememberd my son had similar issue with his car and garage said run at high revs as might clear any muck in the exhaust thingys. So did that, no change. I.e orange light on, somtimes lost power and running fine at times.

Then last day orange light off , information light off and running like a train. And been fine on motorways, cross country and city driving since .

Is it a sensor fault leading to a mecanical response, i.e limp mode switched on but randomly

Or mecanical fault leading to sensor alerts?

Or mixture of both.?

Any harm done?

Will be booked into ford garage when home for investigation.

But views welcomed so I can have a sensible discussion with the service manager.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Hope it's sorted quicker than my Peugeot, it's now seven weeks and still in hospital, we took it some grapes last week.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hopefully when hooked up to one of the magic reading machines it will spout a load of codes and give Ford the solution

Hopefully whatever needed will all be covered by warranty it brings back horrid memories of near identical sequence ending in a non warranty £5K turbo replacement :(

Best of luck could be nothing but hope it gets you home OK (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
On my Mk7 the service indicator can be switched off by juggling the brake pedal and ignition switch. A simple google search gives the detail. Don't know if it will work on a mark 8.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
My 2005 jumbo does it every few months. No pattern. But turning key off and on always fixes it.

OP
OP
AXO66

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Thanks for the replies. Hadn’t thought about the turbo, luckily still under warrentary.
The limp tranny certainly could have a few meanings. .

OP
OP
AXO66

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Just returned from Day’s the Ford dealer in S. Wales.

Nothing to report. No problem codes in the computor. And running really well, so might have been a glitch.

They Did upload a software update.

And told if light comes on again, get it plugged in, so codes can be seen.

They did say the orange service light clears if there has been five ignition switch ons with no problems being sensed.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Forgot this thread until the latest post. Had a call on Monday from the Peugeot Main Dealer to say my van was ready. :eek: First thing the service desk asked me was "did you know your horn wasn't working?". Well I didn't as I don't remember ever using it but I assume it must have shown up on diagnostics. Anyway they replaced the relay for that and told me the relay to the 5th injector was the cause of my problem and replaced that as well as downloading the latest software etc. Total cost for the parts around £27. I won't mention the total with labour but it is nice to get the van back as I was losing confidence in going any distance. I've spent the day fitting the headlamp protectors and Tyrepal valves I bought ages ago and generally getting ready to go away. :) I'll tell you the full story since 25th March when I get a minute. :LOL:

OP
OP
AXO66

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
UPDATE.

Finally diagnosed.
It was a faulty heat sensor on the air intake.
Don’t fully understand what the technician said, but was reading the air coming into the engine as 90°C which was plainly wrong .
Onboard computer spotted this reading and installed limp mode .
10 min job to fix. All on warranty.

Had to take van to ford agents with warning light on and not switch it off .they plugged diagnostics whilst running.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Pleased to see that you got it sorted.

When I saw the title, I thought that it was @rangitira reporting on one of the bar girls foot injury in Danny’s bar

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back