Trailers and parking on Aires (1 Viewer)

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Nowt wrong with Aires!
They’re not ‘so called’ they exist, provided for Camping Cars by the local Commune.
Basically there is something in their elderly law that says a traveller must have somewhere to stop for the night.
They are legal and reasonably safe.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I suspect that if you called the Brit Police and complained about someone badly parked they would arrest you for wasting Police time.
Not here as we have 3 different types of police & the 'Policía Local' who work for the Mayor/local council have specific jobs one of which is parking. Amongst others is checking any building work going onre; licences etc. Also If you have any type of complaint with a business /sefl -employed, bar ,restaurant etc;etc; you ask for the 'Hojas de reclamación' = complaint forms. Failure to give them to you/not having any ,etc; you call the policia local & they will shut them down
that is what they are there for.

right as well
No it isn't .That is what the policía local are there for.

parking across your drive is totally different than someone parking in a car park
Not here it isn't.
As @bobandjanie said they'd soon dish out a ticket for parking a MH in a car spot so it is the same .

I pulled in to Nonacourt aire a few years back & of the 5 spots 2 were occupied by cars & @ianthebuilder had to wait until one went.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
i bet it made you feel really good , getting fellow motorists done for just parking a car.
personly i would never dream of calling the police for something so trivial , just move on.
Yes and let caravans on Aires aswell,, BUSBY:LOL::giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have been towing a trailer for some years now and when using an aire would never take up another space usually leave hooked up and park in space perhaps front sticking out a bit further as long as others can get bye, or if space available behind on a grass verge just revers trailer back on to it a bit as long as no damage done. You do need to research a bit more where you are planning to stop.
I think the right decision was made with OPs question.(y)(y)(y)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We have been towing a trailer for some years now and when using an aire would never take up another space usually leave hooked up and park in space perhaps front sticking out a bit further as long as others can get bye, or if space available behind on a grass verge just revers trailer back on to it a bit as long as no damage done. You do need to research a bit more where you are planning to stop.
I think the right decision was made with OPs question.(y)(y)(y)
We are planning on carrying a couple of old levelling ramps, with us for the sole purpose of backing the trailer over a kerb and onto grass if necessary.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
So called?

Ian

Yes Sir...

I started going abroad in a van regularly in 1982.

In France, every so many kilometres on the motorways, and sometimes on other type roads, there were "Aires". These are what I call aires. Parking places where motorists could break their journey and rest.

Nothing to do with motorhomes and dumping spots and water taps (although some of the Aires had loos and wash basins where you could fill up your tanks).

The places Funsters call "Aires" these days I call campsites (with limited facilities). I understand you even have to PAY at some of them! :Eeek:

JJ :cool:

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
In France, every so many kilometres on the motorways, and sometimes on other type roads, there were "Aires". These are what I call aires. Parking places where motorists could break their journey and rest.

Nothing to do with motorhomes and dumping spots and water taps (although some of the Aires had loos and wash basins where you could fill up your tanks).

Nothing like viewing the world through the wrong end of a telescope eh!;)

Ian

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
why do folks have to get uptight about trivial things? calling the police just because someone has parked where you think they shouldnt next thing you will be getting done for parking your motorhome on a CAR park, think about it , just live and let live and save yourselves a lot of mither, and it always puzzled me why caravans cant park on aires anymore than a trailer.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What about people that put their chairs out to secure a place irrespective of how long they are gone - i dont do it but lots of selfish people of all nationalities seem to do it - only seen people move them a couple of times and that causes arguments
Maybe just my mentality, but an Aire alongside a canal would be a perfect place for moving their chairs.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We tow a scooter, on a trailer, behind our PVC. Not because we need to but because we enjoy two wheels.

Being a PVC we can usually park the trailer, cross-ways, behind our m/h without a problem. We try to be as considerate as we can. The Frenchman in the photo was out of order and should have had the common sense to move when asked.

Similar to parking on an Aire where people set out tables and chairs in the adjacent bay.:mad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back