Trailering a car. (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
We have been looking for a toad but have not seen anything suitable. Thanks to those we have met with in our quest.
We traded in one of our cars for an Aygo ('66 plate) which will do us for local stuff so the question was - to convert to A Frame or trailer it?

A frames look easy and simple but are not suitable for some countries. The car has to be converted and converted back unless you sell it as a toad. Both cost money.

I saw a small-car trailer on ebay and went for it. My thinking was that if it didn't work out I could always get my money back on the trailer.

The trailer was used by the previous owner for towing an Aygo behind a MoHo so quite suitable for the car.

Now, I realise that we have the added weight to tow and the issue of where to put it when on sites. I figure that if we don't erect an awning then that space can be used for the trailer and the Aygo is small enough to get on the pitch where the (caravan) tow car would go.

We almost always use sites. Has anyone had any problems turning up with a car on a trailer and the site operators being difficult about it? I understand loading and unloading may require space and cooperation.

I guess A frames are the most popular method of towing but any advice from trailer users would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Jul 21, 2011
Up’t North West
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
Hi Dave I’ve had no problem having a car on a trailer. The first thing I did was follow a MHer I met in Austria before I started towing. He had purchase a ATV tow ball off eBay and fitted it through the tow eye bolt which screws into the front of most cars. When on site if the trailer has to be Manoeuvred he used the car to shunt the trailer around. This works well and saves one’s back;)
Colin

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We have been looking for a toad but have not seen anything suitable. Thanks to those we have met with in our quest.
We traded in one of our cars for an Aygo ('66 plate) which will do us for local stuff so the question was - to convert to A Frame or trailer it?

A frames look easy and simple but are not suitable for some countries. The car has to be converted and converted back unless you sell it as a toad. Both cost money.

I saw a small-car trailer on ebay and went for it. My thinking was that if it didn't work out I could always get my money back on the trailer.

The trailer was used by the previous owner for towing an Aygo behind a MoHo so quite suitable for the car.

Now, I realise that we have the added weight to tow and the issue of where to put it when on sites. I figure that if we don't erect an awning then that space can be used for the trailer and the Aygo is small enough to get on the pitch where the (caravan) tow car would go.

We almost always use sites. Has anyone had any problems turning up with a car on a trailer and the site operators being difficult about it? I understand loading and unloading may require space and cooperation.

I guess A frames are the most popular method of towing but any advice from trailer users would be most appreciated.

Thanks.
I would go with a trailer ( even though I had one cause me issues when a wheel bearing failed and took out the bloody stub axle )
To me it is a lot less grief than a a-frame for a few reasons

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
David and Sally
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
He had purchase a ATV tow ball off eBay and fitted it through the tow eye bolt which screws into the front of most cars. When on site if the trailer has to be Manoeuvred he used the car to shunt the trailer around. This works well and saves one’s back;)
Colin
(y) (y) (y) (y)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I have done Both. The simple and equally as safe way is the "A" frame. But we are all well aware of the issues that "Europe" has with them, (My Opinion?, VERY stupid and short sighted, BUT, that`s Europe!) Trailers have some advantages, but overall parking them when not in use can be a real "pain". Some sites charge extra for trailers. (Spain is worst). I had a cracking B-J Twin axle jobby, with a Capacity of 2t. AND the space to store it at home. IF you have to store it elsewhere (as some do) that is a further cost. My "A" frame occupies about 1sq/Ft of my garage. One of the things you can do with them on site, is what a Camper at La Manga did some years back, His had a Folding drawbar, parked at the rear of his pitch, he floored it out with Ply, And fitted his gazebo to it, party lights, elevated reclining area with a frig (beer), AND the barbecue!, partied there several times!.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back