Trailer - What To Look For? (1 Viewer)

Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
A few words of wisdom please...

Hoping to view a trailer for my Smartie in the next few days, a Woodford Smart car trailer to be precise.

Having never bought a trailer before, I want to make sure that I buy something that's up to the job. While I know the Woodford trailer is suitable, but what should I look for on the trailer specifically apart from the obvious like electrics and tyres?

Seen a couple of photo's and it looks fine, just need to be sure!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If it's on rubber block indespension units check the units for severe rust.

I had one split and lost a full hub, suspension unit and wheel.

If it's on leaf springs check the spring hanger rubber bush's for splits and disintegration.

Other than that I can't think of anything else

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Make sure it has the manufacturers plate on the Woodford it is on the inside of the A frame, left hand side. Apply the Handbrake, make sure the wheels lock, and also check that the hydraulic damper seals are good, (no leaks).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Check your license allows you to tow it as well I presume you want to tow behind you MH?

Even though I took my C1 test I still can't tow more than 750KG behind my 3500KG motorhome.

Sorry if you already know about this.

Ethle the wondervan

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Peak District
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One year
Wheel bearings.
These are often not well protected on trailers and pressure washing can ruin them.
Having said that, they are usually fairly cheap and easy to replace.
Can be a good haggling point on price of trailer if everything else is robust.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J
Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
Thank you all ...there's a few things I hadn't considered!

Gromett - towing weights! Haven't got my licence to hand, but I passed my test prior to 1979...so I assume I'm fine to tow something over 750kg, I hope so as my m'home is over 3500kg!

This tracking down a trailer is a nightmare; well it seems to be if you're in Scotland. Recently missed a Brian James micro-max trailer that was spanking new for ÂŁ600. Just hoping the Woodford trailer is still there and doesn't get sold before I get there.

Just in case, if anyone in Scotland has got something that needs a new loving home, I've got a fistfull of the Queens finest pounds to offer in exchange:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back