Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We have an Erde 142 trailer, with the hard top and fitted top bars. Had it for years, just pulled it occasionally behind the car. And so, the thought struck me. Why have a tow ball mounted bike rack, with all the associated problems of getting into the rear locker, when I could overhaul the trailer and use that? We carry the Kampa awning, folding bikes, and a load of other dross that only gets used from time to time.
If all that heavy kit was in the trailer, it would of coarse lighten the truck, and most times we are just hauling the stuff around. Then, when we know we are going to use awning, bikes etc, just clip the trailer to the truck. Disadvantages I know, lower speeds when towing, restricted to inside and middle lanes of motorways, problems reversing, but that's the trade off. With the hard top, the awning, bikes in their bags, groundsheet for awning etc, can be stored safely, allowing us to use a much lightened Hymer for three day outings and the like.
Does all this make sense, or is towing a light trailer not a good idea behind a MH. ????

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Great idea..(y)

have towed both a single axle 750kg box trailer which I changed for a twin axle 1500 kg. never an issue..

was useful on site.. used it like a garden shed.. bugger to reverse though

going over the High Atlas
BROKEN LINK

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I have towed single and twin axle trailers behind my Hymer without significant noticeable effect. If you tow in France you have to watch the permitted maximum speed of your rig as the gendarme assume the trailer is loaded to the plated capacity which will probably put you above 3.5T train weight (if you are not already) and that means you should abide by the lower speed limit. :cautious:

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Over here (France) I have seen all sizes and styles of trailers behind motorhomes. Mine is 2m x 1.3m and I have towed it empty to Holland in order to collect things for a friend. I have also been over to near the Swiss border to deliver furniture.

Motorhomes in France can use all available lanes and only have to keep to the speed limit for their weight of vehicle, whether towing or not. That is if you really want to travel at 130 kph (80mph) in your 3.5T vehicle.

I have crossed into the UK with the trailer, but have had to remember the limitations under UK law.

J

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We have a 750kg box trailer we use at times and it has a slightly longer A frame so it does not foul the bikes on the bike rack when turning. Got it from Tickner Trailers near Kings Lynn

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We have a 750kg box trailer we use at times and it has a slightly longer A frame so it does not foul the bikes on the bike rack when turning. Got it from Tickner Trailers near Kings Lynn

Well that's interesting, I've lived here for 30 years and know that part of the world well but never heard of Broken Link Removed. Mind you they are up a long cul-de-sac where I've never had reason to explore. You learn something every day.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
we tow a 6x4 box trailer all the time for similar reasons plus carrying the scooter. never had a problem getting in places

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Did it for a few years when traveling South in winter. Found it very useful and even got into being able to reverse without jackknifing using the rear view camera. The only downside was we just took more with us. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Erde-142-loadbars.jpg
This is ours. Or at least how it should look, (and will again). (y)

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Broken Link Removed
This was ours in Spain. Got fed up with towing so replaced it with:
Broken Link Removed
No more reversing slowly

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
one reason I prefer the motorhome / campervan is not towing which means departing and arriving are so much quicker.. having said that I have a trailer which is currently at my dads and I was considering putting a ball on the towbar of the new van so when we go on longer trips we can use it. I would probably use it for carrying the yent etc around with me rather than for stuff I might want in the van

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi Tootles.
The shorter the trailer.the harder it is to reverse,but,give it a couple of weeks and it will become part of the host vehicle/Truck?(DAF XF of course LOL)/M/h/Kampingcar/etc. The secrets... Keep as straight as you can while reversing,(NO jacknifing).Always try to reverse in on the drivers side,even if it means going by,turning around and coming back to reverse)
Jobs a "Good 'un". But you already KNEW THAT LOL!!!
Tea Bag

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi ianandkath.
Yes.... got the T shirt LOL. Also,took out a Parked car with a Broshuis Trombone trailer on a "Tight bit"..... The "Intelligent head" on the coupling worked, but NOT drivers!!!!! LOL. Trailer mate?..... Off with the Fairies !!
The owner did not know,till i went back to tell him,it all ended quite well allround.
Tea Bag.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
the shorter the trailer the harder it is to reverse , as I found out at Thetford. when jaws tried to get me to reverse a peddlecar. and a bread basket on wheels. guess who failed

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Makes perfect sense to me ,so a small increase when using ferries but 3.5tons gross becomes 4.2tons train (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back