Trailer Security (1 Viewer)

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
We tow a smartie on a BJ Trailer and have just bought a wheel clamp for it. Until this I was unsure of how to secure the trailer whilst on site.

Does anybody else use a trailer and what method do you use?

Bryan

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Bryan
We don't tow a trailer but years ago we used to tow a caravan. One product that is worthwhile (IMO) and readily available is a hitchlock something like Link Removed this.
HTH

Keith

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
i've got a hitchlock spare somewhere:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Bryan, the BJT coupling, if you chose the special one, has a built-in lock inside the coupling - that one does not fit normal box-type hitch locks Alko-style as found on most box trailers / car transporters etc. I take it you don't have that one or you wouldn't be asking.The normal one will take a box-style cover with a lock, preventing someone from attaching the coupling and towing it away.

I'm so paranoid about our BJT that I have put locking bolts on both wheels, locked the spare wheel to the trailer mounting, and used TWO wheel clamps, plus use the locking device in the coupling!. I have also tethered the trailer to a bollard on our driveway with a heavy aircraft wire chain thing and locked the bollards which protect our M/H , BJT and Smartie behind them in a bespoke parking area :Smile::Smile: Paranoid perhaps, but we had a suspect visit from a travelling person (caught on our CCTV) inspecting our previous trailer and making signals to his mate in a truck down on the road until they spotted the CCTV!! Thought I'd make it really awkward for anyone wanting to take the BJT, the Smartie or the M'H!!!!

Laurie

OP
OP
Bryan

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Bryan, the BJT coupling, if you chose the special one, has a built-in lock inside the coupling - that one does not fit normal box-type hitch locks Alko-style as found on most box trailers / car transporters etc. I take it you don't have that one or you wouldn't be asking.The normal one will take a box-style cover with a lock, preventing someone from attaching the coupling and towing it away.

I'm so paranoid about our BJT that I have put locking bolts on both wheels, locked the spare wheel to the trailer mounting, and used TWO wheel clamps, plus use the locking device in the coupling!. I have also tethered the trailer to a bollard on our driveway with a heavy aircraft wire chain thing and locked the bollards which protect our M/H , BJT and Smartie behind them in a bespoke parking area :Smile::Smile: Paranoid perhaps, but we had a suspect visit from a travelling person (caught on our CCTV) inspecting our previous trailer and making signals to his mate in a truck down on the road until they spotted the CCTV!! Thought I'd make it really awkward for anyone wanting to take the BJT, the Smartie or the M'H!!!!

Laurie

Blimey, that is secure. Do you have to allow extra journey time when going anywhere, to allow for de-securing that lot? :winky::Smile:

We do have a bog standard coupling, I'm sure. We never got offered an 'upgrade' at time of purchase so that almost certainly confirms it as I'm sure that the more secure version does not come 'free'.

We (I) only bought 1 wheel clamp on the premise that with even one on the only way to nick it would be on a larger trailer and thata would still be possible with two clamps.

I reckon they are only a deterrant anyway, if they want it enough, they'll have it. They just might prefer the non-clamped one next door first ::bigsmile:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Bryan

Short answer to all that :YES! It takes ages to organise all the clamps and stuff, but I'd rather that than have some scumbag disappear with Smarties trailer!!!

The special coupling cost about £100 more than standard one. By the time I had ordered all the options I wanted for the BJT, the price had rocketed to nearly £2K!! All these locks and things are just deterrants really - our driveway is shared with several neighbours and the parking is just to the side of the driveway, up a steep hill - can't lock the driveway due to neighbours access so did next best thing and installed drop-down bollards to keep neighbours and their visitors / tradespeople out of our parking and secure the vehicles. Nothing like arriving home with large vehicle towing trailer to find some jerk in your private parking!!!!

I reckon it would take someone a few hours to grind off all the bollard locks / wheel clamps / hitch locks etc etc by which time someone will hopefully have noticed someone up to no good!!! Plus we have CCTV over the vehicles as well.

:Confused:

Laurie

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi I think we have the same hitchlock, its called a triplelock, you need a special key to put it on to the tow ball or take it off. When on site I loop a steel wire through the lock and around one of the leveling jacks.

Mines insured, so if they nick I will get some of the money back, you just have to strike your own balance between paranoia and devil may care. ::bigsmile:

Fairly safe at home as it in the garden behind the RV. But lets face it, if they want it badly enough they will have it. :frowny:

Olley

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Olley, I know its off topic really, but where do you get insurance for the trailer and what sort of price? I got some silly quotes, so left it, but would prefer to have it insured.

Yes, it is the Triplelock - I remember now. You need to be a bit like an octopus to use it easily in the beginning though!!!:Smile:

Laurie

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Laurie only had the renewal in a couple of days ago, but my memorys gone to pot so if your interested I will dig out the name when I go back home. The premium is roughly 10% of the value of the trailer.

Olley

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just for concideration during many grasstrack racing events 100s of trailors present,
the most difficult to remove even with all the tools available at a race meeting including oxy cutting gear is the old fashioned steel ball that fits into the hitch itself, its an absolute bu**er to get out without the key, tells me its a goodun, very simple to fitand remove normally, small and compact, but needs a wheel clamp to compliment it, to stop em tying your trailer to a hitch and driving orf
Geo

OP
OP
Bryan

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Just for concideration during many grasstrack racing events 100s of trailors present,
the most difficult to remove even with all the tools available at a race meeting including oxy cutting gear is the old fashioned steel ball that fits into the hitch itself, its an absolute bu**er to get out without the key, tells me its a goodun, very simple to fitand remove normally, small and compact, but needs a wheel clamp to compliment it, to stop em tying your trailer to a hitch and driving orf
Geo

Do you have make or model info, Geo?

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
I've got one of those on our little garden trailer Bryan - they used to be available at places like Halfords and Motormania, its a small thingie that you can adjust to fit yourtrailer inner coupling perfectly.Looks like nothing but is pretty effective unless someone comes equipped with drill to drill the lock out You need a wheel clamp as well though.:eek:

Laurie

OP
OP
Bryan

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
I've got one of those on our little garden trailer Bryan - they used to be available at places like Halfords and Motormania, its a small thingie that you can adjust to fit yourtrailer inner coupling perfectly.Looks like nothing but is pretty effective unless someone comes equipped with drill to drill the lock out You need a wheel clamp as well though.:eek:

Laurie

We've got the clamp, but belt & braces works for me!!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Link Removed
You can find one at the above link
DONT loose the key you have been warned