Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
Do not want a Rant or Heavy Debate but asking this..

Which European countrys do you have to have a trailer to carry a car. We know Spain, and heard possibly Germany.

We like the easy A-Frame and its been a pleasure to use. Have bought a Brian James trailer because we are going back into Spain. But still do not want to use it and thinking it may go back up for sale and Chris will drive the Toad throu Spain.
Its not perfect as we want to travel together in the same veh as that is the whole point in travelling. But for the short..ish days on the road in Spain then...we can do ..Link Removed

So unsure what to do...If we had started out 5 years ago with the trailer then it would not be any different, But we have been places where there would have been no room for the trailer, and if it needed manhandling any place then it would have to Womanhandled as poor Chris would have to more or less do it...Link Removed

So what do we do....Link Removed

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Every year we see A Frames in Spain, although we know people that have been fined and made to unhook and the wife drives, and a couple that no longer go to Spain because she could not drive and was fined €240.:cry:

But people still do it and I would say more get away with it, than get stopped and fined.:Smile:

PM Dream Chaser Tommy on RVOC Brian, we see him and a couple of mates every year, and the other two the wife's don't drive, they all have RV's and toads.:Smile:

Or you could buy this: Broken Link Removed

:winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Look forward to seeing you and Chris down there. :thumb: Bob.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So what do we do....Link Removed

Since you are not afraid of size the best solution would seem to be an RV with garage to take a Smart.

I saw a Euro MH in Italy, it dropped it's back and out popped a Fiat 600, mighty impressed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I put a towbar on the car so when unloaded I could easily move the trailer to
a suitable parking place without the stress of parking it with the MoHo

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
best thing to have is a 5er or a mini artic . dont need a car then .plus you can have a m,bike in the back.
and ferry prices are much better they allow 11mtrs on a standard car /caravan price . cheaper than my mates 6mtr camper price ,to spain .
aframes are usefull i have one here and tow dollies but the fifth wheel is easy and gets no probs.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Get a car and caravan! I will never understand why any one wants to tow a car. Takes the mobility and freedom away from travelling. Get a couple of push bikes. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We saw a very small motorhome on the way back from Misterton. It would have only been a very small 2 birth at the most , and it was towing a Fiesta .:whatthe: The car was almost as long and as wide as the motorhome.
The motorhome would have had no problems parking in a supermarket bay , or at the side of the road. It didn't have a luton bubble , but wasn't a PVC.
We both commented on how small it was and why would you bother.
I suppose the answer is , because you can. :Smile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
might have been on recovery .i used to recover vw,s with my aframe behind my vw.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We have similar problem with towing trike
Easy option is a trailer this I do not want to do due to hassle of parking 3 things on site space available and so on
Option 2 carry on as we are and if we get pulled Elaine drives Moho and I ride trike not what we want ether
Not so bad over here in Uk but I don't want the risk in Spain
Solution I have not a clue yet as we want to take trike with us to Morocco
We may end up borrowing a trailer just for morocco :cry:

OP
OP
Destination Unknown

Destination Unknown

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
Get a car and caravan! I will never understand why any one wants to tow a car. Takes the mobility and freedom away from travelling. Get a couple of push bikes. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Had car and caravan for many years, When we packed in work we decided on a Motorhome so we could use aires ect.
Even thou the Rv is 35 foot, 49 with Toad we have been some fantastic places and places we would have never tried to get too with the Shogun and Caravan..
As for towing the car, need to as I am crutches/Wheelchair so need transport. Bikes, Chris has a bike and i have a handbike to go onto the wheelchair.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi pete . you should be able to make a very light t type trailer . use the spine for front wheels . a u channel as spine, possibly axle with bolt on stub axles hitch on front of channel . certainly my mate that ran highway trikes in belgium had one like it for years .
i just pulled mine on a sibgle spec bike tow .intertrade version like the aa used to use.
you wouldnt need brakes surely .whats your trike weigh . you have said i think , but forgot . but light channel and possibly 400x8 wheels and tyres . or 10inch mini .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back