Trailer or A Frame - Up! (1 Viewer)

May 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail F70
As some will know I spent some time at Lincoln Show garnering opinion from a couple of stands about towing our new Up!

Having come home and now in the position to do something about it - I find myself still trying to come to terms with the whole kaboodle.

The A frame has some real positives for storage, neatness and simplicity, but requires me to have work done to the front of the car and it sounded a bit serious with welding suggested.

On the other hand, a small trailer would mean no modifications to the car, could use in Europe (however unlikely that actually is) but would be a royal pain to store between uses.

We bought the Up! new, to replace an estate car and to be our run about at home too. It’s on PCP (hence a bit nervous about drilling holes) but am likely to simply keep it afterwards.

What’s the collectives thoughts on this? Should I leave it unmarked and trailer it, or is it a reasonable thing to do with a car and finance companies generally don’t mind. (I’ve not asked them and I should).

The costs are about the same. A towbar is needed whatever we do, I have seen small trailers at about 1800 and have been offered the A Frame plus conversion for about 1200. Don’t need a new trailer of course.

Input appreciated from those who have done this and can offer experience.

Motorhome is F70, up plated to 4.1 tonne with airbags - so train weight should be ok.

Thanks.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Genuine question, why do people have the expense of a motorhome, when they tow a car and use it like a caravan? I.e. park at a site and not move until you leave, using the car. Why not have a caravan at half the price?
THINK about it , you need a tow car. I cant tow anything with an UP not even a 3x4 trailer. That is just one point. There are a dozen variables and people use them in different ways. When i had 3 boys to cart about we had a large family cars Audi 100 and A6 and Towed a Pennine folding camper (Fitted in Garage). Boys leave home , Bongo comes to live with us , so did various awnings and still had the peninine perfect space for 1 night to a fortnight. As life conditions change we can adjust the way we live, more than one way to skin a cat.
ps any good recipies for c**.
Very like rabbit i've been told.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back