Trailer for Piaggio mp3 and rules for Europe (1 Viewer)

Jun 14, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79/6
Exp
Newbies
Hi
We have recently purchased a Bailey Autograph M/H and even more recently a Piaggio MP3 motorbike.
We are now looking for a trailer to tow the bike, as the van is already quite long (8 metres) want one that is the shortest possible Does anyone have any advice?
Also our plan is to tow in Europe I can’t find any rules about the type of trailer that can be used abroad. Does anyone know if a bike trailer is acceptable or does it need to be an actual trailer?
Sorry if that sounds confusing
Any help appreciated
Thank you

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We have an Armitage side loading trailer which we use with our MP3. It has a winch to pull the MP3 up the ramp as you can't stand at the side with the engine running and power it up. They are short at about 2 metres which means you have to be careful when reversing. A rear camera is essential. No problems towing anywhere in Europe AFAIK.

Upvote 0

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
As long as the bike wheels are of the ground and on a device/trailer its legal in all eu countries. that is my understanding of the law but i could be Wrong.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sylvia Want
Jun 14, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79/6
Exp
Newbies
Thank you guys that is really helpful

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sylvia Want
Jun 14, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79/6
Exp
Newbies
Thinking we will probably go with something like the Armitage side loader as two of us suggests looks just what we need
May try and see if we can get a preloved one
Is there anywhere on the forum to ask the question?

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
As previously said, we have the Armitage one. Probably won't apply to you but if anyone watching this thread has a continental van with the door, awning on the offside you may want to have the ramp on the trailer on that side as well so that if you are up against a hedge etc on site you can still load/unload the bike without having to uncouple the trailer.

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Are you going for a short trailer for ferry reasons ? If not then the downsides of a very short trailer is when you are trying to reverse , they are very rapid reaction , also can be a bit twitchy at speed on bumpy roads, compared with a longitudinal trailer with rear set axle . . .

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
My son and I converted a 3-bike trailer (£35 on eBay) for his MP3 for his '5,500 mile 3 month tour of Europe'. We replaced the three heavy steel original wheel 'gutters' with four ex dairy alloy frames from a scrap yard - £5 each. Plus a bit of strengthening (those MP3's are heavy!), lashing eyes, replaced the heavy steel mudguards with plastic ones, etc. He could ride it on. Total cost finished, including £35 for the trailer was £70.
The trailer must be plated with the manufacturer's compliance details. We transferred the original one onto our trailer :whistle:
For travelling he put a vertical stick at the back of the MP3 with a flag on top otherwise the only time he saw it was still there was at roundabouts!!

3 bike trailer.jpg

2016-07-10 Trailer 003.JPG

2016-07-02 008.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Old myth, each country in the EU has its own traffic laws.
Are you saying that they will have to have a current MOT, separate insurance and separate registration plate (different to the towing vehicle) all for their trailer. All compulsory requirements in many European countries and enshrined in their traffic law?

'Cos if you are I think you had better contact @Sylvia Want as a matter of urgency and explain :LOL:

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Are you saying that they will have to have a current MOT, separate insurance and separate registration plate (different to the towing vehicle) all for their trailer. All compulsory requirements in many European countries and enshrined in their traffic law?

'Cos if you are I think you had better contact @Sylvia Want as a matter of urgency and explain :LOL:
They don't actually enforce those laws but nothing to stop them, Germany has been talking about doing it.
What I saying is just because it's legal in the UK it does not mean it's legal in other countries and you need t check the laws in each country you are traveling through. E.g. €10,000 fine for having a dash cam in Austria but it's legal in the UK.

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
My mp3 weighs 1/4 tonne with fuel, I manage to haul it inside the van with a Block&Tacle from the mainsheet traveller on my boat. My point is there is no need for two people and no need to attempt corageous feats riding it up onto a trailer.

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
As Lenny said, different rules for different countries, In Germany on most major dual carriageway Autobahns you are not allowed to overtake towing a trailer, or if you are over 3.5ton, also many roads and passes in the Alps you are not allowed to tow a trailer. There's prob more but they're just off the top of my head.

Ady

Upvote 0

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
As Lenny said, different rules for different countries, In Germany on most major dual carriageway Autobahns you are not allowed to overtake towing a trailer, or if you are over 3.5ton, also many roads and passes in the Alps you are not allowed to tow a trailer. There's prob more but they're just off the top of my head.

Ady
Let me be the first to point out that the elephant in the room of European conformity is the towing of vehicles which have been temporarily adapted to act as trailers. ;)

Upvote 0

Delboy123

Free Member
Aug 15, 2018
Funster No
Hi
We have recently purchased a Bailey Autograph M/H and even more recently a Piaggio MP3 motorbike.
We are now looking for a trailer to tow the bike, as the van is already quite long (8 metres) want one that is the shortest possible Does anyone have any advice?
Also our plan is to tow in Europe I can’t find any rules about the type of trailer that can be used abroad. Does anyone know if a bike trailer is acceptable or does it need to be an actual trailer?
Any help appreciated
Thank you

Upvote 0

Delboy123

Free Member
Aug 15, 2018
Funster No
Hi
Any help appreciated
Thank you
Dear Sylvia I have a brand new Armitage trailer which has never been used (older type which is a little longer) and I am about to put it on EBay.It has only been on the road from the supplier to my garage in north wales.If you are still looking for one let me know.Del

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sylvia Want
Jun 14, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79/6
Exp
Newbies
Hi Delboy
Thank you for the offer Unfortunately we needed to have a trailer by the end of the month so ended up ordering one from Armitage
However a friend is also looking for one I’m sure he will be interested
Can you pass me your details so I can put him in touch with you

Upvote 0

Delboy123

Free Member
Aug 15, 2018
Funster No
Hi Delboy
Thank you for the offer Unfortunately we needed to have a trailer by the end of the month so ended up ordering one from Armitage
However a friend is also looking for one I’m sure he will be interested
Can you pass me your details so I can put him in touch with you
Hi Sylvia Thanks for getting back to me,if your friend is interested he can get in touch with me at derek-chris@hotmail.com and I can email him some pics I took. Cheers Derek

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Quite a while.....though not long enough
Hi,

If anybody else is selling either an MP3 Trailer or an MP3 Trailer and the MP3, could you please PM me as I am on the lookout for one.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi
Any help appreciated
Thank you
The only thing I now for sure is that if the total length of your rig is 12mts or more LONG VEHICLE signs like those on lorries and conforming to the same construction must be displayed in Spain

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back