Trailer etiquette....home and abroad. (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Will be traveling this year towing my scooter on a trailer.

Just pondering whether there are any major things to take into consideration when booking/arriving on site. I am fine with the towing/travelling, just talking about when you arrive.

If booking in advance, do you always have to tell them you have a trailer?
Are there going to be sites that do not allow them for some reason?

Purposely went for a trailer that can be tipped onto it`s side so can `probably` be put out of the way if staying a few days, maybe across the rear or alongside of the MH.

I know some aires we used last year we would struggle to get on and leave trailer attached and if just stopping overnight would not want to have to keep taking scooter on and off. I assume it is best just to head for the larger aires.

Any general tips/advice re traveling with a trailer would be welcome. MH is 28ft and trailer about 10ft overall.

Thanks

Steve

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
When we towed a large twin axle box trailer with the RV, total length about 50ft, I always checked before arriving..

Never found a site that had a 'no trailer' policy , but came across many that were not suitable .. simply because the pitches were too small ... or access restricted.. many do charge extra..

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We tow a bike on a trailer all over the place.. apart from a couple of places wanting to charge extra for the trailer ( which we always refuse and leave the site ) never had a problem anywhere in Europe.. In fact several places have asked me if I would like to leave the trailer in their secure pound. Never bothered though and never had an issue..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Never had a major problem,our last trailer with MH was 37 feet,we now have shorter trailer ,main thing to look out for which we experienced was sat nav sending us down narrow roads where had we met anything, reversing could have been a problem but no different from a caravan I suppose.In most pitches we just disconneted the trailer and put alongside.Another thing I would advise is rear view camera makes it easier for reversing and you can keep an eye ont when travelling we picked up camera and screen for £50

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We've toured extensively in Europe and have never been turned away from a site. We have never used aires because of the length of the unit, we would rather just go direct to a site than risk trying an aire only to find out we can't fit on it. Plus I'm not sure I would be too happy leaving the van and a rather expensive trailer unattended while we were off sightseeing on the bike. Tolls can be variable, some charge for the extra axle, some don't. Perhaps they just don't always see it behind the van.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Have towed a scooter, Burgman 400, for three years now on a crossover trailer. No problems experienced in France, Spain etc. Only glitch was in the UK on CC site with a jobsworth in charge, Just left and went elsewhere, can't stand these military wardens.
This year have booked our return ferry from Hull and the C&CC who charge for your exact trailer length.This saved us over £90 compared with the CC who's prices start at upto 3 metres in length.
Always managed every Aire we visited as our trailer is just under 2 metres long. It tows without any problems and a nose weight on the van of 36 kgs is fine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
We have had all shapes and sizes of trailers come to Parc Verger, and never had a problem accommodating them - and neither have we ever charged for them.
The longest I can recall was a 15' trailer behind a 40' RV, the trailer carrying a Volvo estate car.:Doh:
We ask that they are either kept within the bounds of the pitch or if too big for that then in a specific location within the site. So no problem if you are heading our way!
Bob
www.parcverger.com

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back