Free Member
Jul 10, 2018
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido le Randoneur 763F
Exp
ECEC8B7C-CA83-466D-ACB2-756646D5CAEB.jpeg
Someone’s pride and joy went up in flames earlier today the security did a fantastic job at limiting the spread and making sure nobody was injured until the fire brigade arrived.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Oh my goodness, I feel for the owners, but kudos to the security for preventing it spreading which could have so easily happened. Perhaps this is a great reminder why we need to comply with the safe distance between units.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Very sad for the owners to come back to. Thankgoodness no one was hurt.
Did they find out how it started?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Fridge apparently
Was a 12y old van (06) but owner only had a few months (November)
Guy was collected & taken home by his son...
...insurance company contacted and is in their hands now..

St Piran

Free Member
May 22, 2012
North Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
And some people moan about the C&MH club rules of: To avoid the spread of fire, there must be at least 6 metres spacing between facing walls of adjacent caravans, motorhomes or trailer tents and a minimum clear space of 3 metres between adjoining outfits in any direction. = I would sooner have my MH burnt to the ground than be told which way to park my MH.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 24, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Still learning 😊
Heartbreaking for the owners of the van but glad that no one was injured or worse. The rules that are made re distances from other vans are put in place for a reason, I dont know how far apart this van was from another van but it could possibly have been alot worse. Thank goodness for the promptness of the security and fire brigade.

OP
OP
Campervanannie

Campervanannie

Free Member
Jul 10, 2018
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido le Randoneur 763F
Exp
We watched as the security jumped into action with fire extinguishers and breaking into the gas locker of a burning vehicle with a very calm determination and removed the bottle while others moved tents and a motorhome that were closest to the burning vehicle then the fire brigade arrived and made short work of putting it out and making safe what was left.
Well done to all who was involved.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We watched as the security jumped into action with fire extinguishers and breaking into the gas locker of a burning vehicle with a very calm determination and removed the bottle while others moved tents and a motorhome that were closest to the burning vehicle then the fire brigade arrived and made short work of putting it out and making safe what was left.
Well done to all who was involved.
Well done!!

I do always worry when my girls go to Glastonbury, the tent areas are so closely packed.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
View attachment 244685 Someone’s pride and joy went up in flames earlier today the security did a fantastic job at limiting the spread and making sure nobody was injured until the fire brigade arrived.
I would have been happier to hear nobody was injured at all
what did they do ? give him a good pasting:Eeek:

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I recall seeing a big tent ablaze it was scary as it went up in seconds luckily nobody was hurt .

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
Had the same with our swift, fortunatly was at the back turned the gas off no damage except a unsafe fridge, wonder about the dometic fridge seem to go wrong a lot.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
no one hurt result easy to go out and buy another motorhome just look at it this way now they can buy one with a better layout now they have spent some time in one and thought about it

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Bloody hell! One would like to say, it's only a van that can be replaced, but one grows so attached to them, my daughter would be heartbroken if this happen to ours.

On the flip side, nobody was hurt, so all's well that ends (moderately) well.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
The fire station is about a mile from the incident, as the engine turned out of the fire station, the driver was faced with a mass of people all the way to the bridge. We are talking people enjoying the sun and bars of the High Street, the speed of the response was tremendous in challenging circumstances.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I never leave the gas locker locked except when "wilding" or in storage. All saves time (and maybe lives) in an emergency.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
Sounds like fridge fires are more frequent than I appreciated. We were boarding a ferry from Calais about 10 years ago with friends. A guy parallel to us in the queue asked me if you should see a flame through the side vent. The flame was coming out of the bottom fridge vent of our friends Motorhome. When I went to look the side of the van was starting to burn. My friend isolated the gas and we discharged a fire extinguisher into the top vent. It was a while ago so it was a halon extinguisher. The fire was out in minutes. It transpired that the fridge had been installed on top of the gas pipe and had eventually wore a hole in it.
Literally 15 minutes later we would have been in the hold of the ferry. The consequences do not bare thinking about, we were very lucky and very little damage to the Motorhome.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
A guy parallel to us in the queue asked me if you should see a flame through the side vent. The flame was coming out of the bottom fridge vent of our friends Motorhome. When I went to look the side of the van was starting to burn. My friend isolated the gas and we discharged a fire extinguisher into the top vent. It was a while ago so it was a halon extinguisher. The fire was out in minutes. It transpired that the fridge had been installed on top of the gas pipe and had eventually wore a hole in it.
Literally 15 minutes later we would have been in the hold of the ferry. The consequences do not bare thinking about, we were very lucky and very little damage to the Motorhome.

I thought you had to turn the gas off before boarding the ferry? Just curious as we have always turned off gas on a ferry / train.

We would probably turn off the gas when going through a tunnel as well - we do try to remember to turn it off before starting a journey but will admit to forgetting a few times - we do have the cut off sensor but even so.......

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I never leave the gas locker locked except when "wilding" or in storage. All saves time (and maybe lives) in an emergency.
Good idea

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
I thought you had to turn the gas off before boarding the ferry? Just curious as we have always turned off gas on a ferry / train.

We would probably turn off the gas when going through a tunnel as well - we do try to remember to turn it off before starting a journey but will admit to forgetting a few times - we do have the cut off sensor but even so.......
We were in the queue to check in so no check at that point. Not sure why it was on gas. Not sure if it was, just remember it was well alight.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I once had a fire in a caravan caused by the grill pan being loose under the grill. It broke the gas pipe. We had stopped in a lay-by off the A5 ( before it became the M5 so some time ago). I turned on the gas bottle, went inside to put the kettle on and the grill area burst into flames. Everyone out then turned off gas at the bottle. Very little damage and no one hurt. But no more loose grill pans!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Only used ferry a few times in the van, we usually use the Tunnel. Cannot remember ever being asked to turn off the gas before loading.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Only used ferry a few times in the van, we usually use the Tunnel. Cannot remember ever being asked to turn off the gas before loading.

With a high vehicle at the tunnel there is a barrier at which you have to stop. The security person physically checks that the gas is turned off.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
The Tunnel security staff have always checked to see that my gas was turned off at the bottle every time we have travelled, not so sure that we have ever been checked when using the ferries.

But whichever you are supposed to have the gas turned off.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Newhaven they always asked if you have turned off your gas, Dover never been asked or at any of the French ports.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Years ago in one of our caravans I smelt gas inside. The pipe from the control to the burner had rusted through. Replace it with a copper pipe.
Unbelievable really a fridge which is installed with the rear of it exposed to the elements and they use a steel pipe with poor quality galvanizing to carry the main gas feed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back