Trafficmaster Smartnav - who uses it? (1 Viewer)

Bridie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2010
Bonnie Dundee
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
Since July 2013
Hi

I've never had a SatNav, but now we have a Trafficmaster Smartnav that has come with our new Citroen campervan with free use for a year.

No real instructions with it (probably wouldn't read them until last resort!) and website not much help.

To add places (POIs) you phone in and say where you are going (address and PC). I think I can also add them manually and maybe online as well. Not sure about using abroad as post codes not as accurate as here.

So, anyone else have this system? What's your thoughts and tips.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
from what I can see, very little is kept on your GPS itself, the system appears to be a pay as you go wifi service + GPS where the wifi supplies the info required. I can foresee lots of problems with this in dead spots. However keep us informed as to how you get on I'll be watching this thread with interest as it seems an inovative way of providing the service, no wonder the boxes themselves sell on ebay for around £10.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I've got this on my day van. It was said to have three years "free" usage on it but it was in dealer mode when I got it home so I had three months to play with it before needing to register.

You put the post code in of where you want to go. It phones Control and gets the directions and then off you go. It has a built in mobile phone which it does all this through (you can get the number off the system so people can phone you via the device if you need to (you can't make outgoing calls)).

If you don't have the post code or you don't know the exact address it will automatically call their control centre and you can talk to a person about where you want to go and they will send the directions to the machine.

They also have an optional tracking service if you'd like to subscribe to that. I don't think it will store POI's on the system. It has a memory of the last few places you've visited but that's all.

The system reads like it should work quite well. Control have the latest maps and traffic information so you should always be up to date. If you take a different route the device will phone up for new directions.

They don't (didn't) cover anywhere outside the UK. At the time I was spending a lot of time in France so had to keep my normal GPS system at the ready and in the end never continued using the Citroen system. Never did register to use it although it does sometimes phone the Control and they ask me if I'd like to register.

So, it's good if you've got nothing else or need a tracker but I found it clumsy for day to day use. I just use it as a clock and compass now :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If it only uses postcodes it wouldn't be much good in France where often the whole town has the same postcode.

I'd buy a proper satnav, my brother had one of these and although fine in UK is no use abroad, and you have to pay a subscription.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Don't look Ethel !!!

I had one fitted in my Van from new ! used it for the first free year, absolutely fantastic :thumb:, just press the button, a real person comes on line ! "Good morning Stephen, where is your destination today ?" This is in France I may add.:france: Address given and off we go ! Route changed if accidents etc !:Doh:

BUT........Don't sign up for the second year ! A tom-tom works out cheaper !
Just have the tracker now !:Cool::Cool::Cool:

OP
OP
Bridie

Bridie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2010
Bonnie Dundee
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
Since July 2013
BUT........Don't sign up for the second year ! A tom-tom works out cheaper !
Just have the tracker now !:Cool::Cool::Cool:
Thanks

That is what I thought. Didn't realise you could continue to have the tracker without using the SmartNav

:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Curtisden

Free Member
Jul 1, 2011
Near Goudhurst Kent
Funster No
MH
High top 6m Panel Camper
Exp
Newbie but 25 Years towing.
Thanks

That is what I thought. Didn't realise you could continue to have the tracker without using the SmartNav

:thumb:

Hi I have one of these on my Fifer.
Works a treat and much much better than TomTom traffic. Keeps you right up to date on the route ahead giving you options as the conditions change.
Coming back from Scotland in late October after picking up my Fifer it snowed and it changed the route several times as the A1 became blocked ahead of us.
But when the 3 years is up I will have to think hard and long about the cost. £150PA
Use my TomTom overseas as it has my Aires data on it.
Just updated the maps for £32 Europe wide.
Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back