Traffic Wardens/Parking Enforcement Officer ? (1 Viewer)

Are Traffic Wardens/Parking Enforcement Officers a good thing in your area

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009
Whats your opinion on Traffic Wardens/Parking Enforcement Officer in your areas?
Do you support the work they do to keep your streets clear
Do you think they are Jobsworth, the council should save their money by cutting their positions.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
our local council opted to have in house enforcement and since then the local situation has improved dramatically

however cover in other areas seems so variable its hard to comment, varying from awfully oppressive through to virtually non existent. having a blue badge, i rarely have issues with parking enforcement myself, other than when they fail to ticket cars illegally using disabled bays

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
In my area I believe that they do a good job. I am fortunate to live quite close to a railway station with a fast link to Euston. Without the wardens the whole neighbourhood would be a massive station car park.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Local town nearby ,they are usually in Witherspoons looking out the window to see a victim.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Our local council has them in house as well and although universally loathed, they are a little pragmatic and you can discuss with them. Keeps down the people who think the rules don't apply to them, surprisingly a lot of them thinking it is OK to go to the nail bar and leave the car parked on double yellows outside, blocking the road for delivery lorries

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Kings Lynn is not exactly dying but high rents and rates are forcing independents out leaving the usual collection of charity and cheapy shops and mobile phone outlets. Add in mid to expensive parking, even after 7pm, plus busy wardens and no wonder folk are shopping out of town, at least all except tattoo covered pie eating, coke swilling layabouts, and that's just the English. o_O

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Think he'll get away with this? :rolleyes:

Tank.jpg

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
I live and work in Sandwich which is a medieval town with narrow streets, therefore lots of parking restrictions. We constantly see cars parked on double yellows etc. while driver "just nips" somewhere and it can cause chaos, especially for delivery trucks. Below is one example of parking near our office, we wondered if they thought they were ok as they were so far from the yellow line :rofl:

Attachments

• 20121221_103201.jpg
    20121221_103201.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 57

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I live and work in Sandwich which is a medieval town with narrow streets, therefore lots of parking restrictions. We constantly see cars parked on double yellows etc. while driver "just nips" somewhere and it can cause chaos, especially for delivery trucks. Below is one example of parking near our office, we wondered if they thought they were ok as they were so far from the yellow line :rofl:
OMG!!! Thats pure selfishness, nothing more, nothing less. Remove it, crush it, then a lesson to everyone :)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

Unbelievable!!! Probably someone's A frame car that became detached......... ;)

OP
OP
OllieUK

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009
My experience is:
The cost to park your vehicle is 20p for 10 minutes there after its 10p a minute so if you just want to 'Pop' into the shop, post office, school, pub, bank, police station, thats very little to pay, of course in reality 10 minutes is NOT long enough so its going to cost you a few pence more. I would say that 20p is good value though if you are just going to stop for a short period of less than10 minutes.
Usually find that the town centre is regularly patrolled by wardens, but side streets can cause congestion with cars parked on the kerb over double yellows, or near traffic lights. and its usually the same culprits, daily abusing this.
Regular double parking can be seen daily on the Harbour Parade at Ramsgate, A blind eye seems to be in action in this area as this practice has been going on for a few years outside the bars and resteraunts. I used to regularly see the local bobby on his bike in this area, never seen a ticket issued though.
How about people who park on the corner. ever tried to pull out onto a main street and a truck, car, van, is parked at the corner making it very dangerous to pull out safely? isn't there a law that says there should be a specific distance to park before the corner? Talking about corners, next time your out look out for Bus Stops situated on a corner, just before a zebra crossing, or on a dangerous part of the road. Are buses exempt from road traffic laws?
All things considered, I agree that a Traffic Warden is a thankless job, but without them selfish road users would soon bring chaos to town centres and cities.
And can someone please explain the term POP ( POPPING) to me in terms of time taken, (someone who just pops to the shop could be causing a traffic jam for 30 minutes or more and all you get in response when they return to their vehicle is a load of abuse or a 2 finger jesture. )
Book Em Danno!!!

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
OMG!!! Thats pure selfishness, nothing more, nothing less. Remove it, crush it, then a lesson to everyone :)
Looks more like incompetence & a total lack of awareness to me. If that's how they stop, I wouldn't want to be around when they start driving again. Probably safer where it is!

It would probably take quite a long time to explain to them what the problem was.:(

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Traffic Wardens have an awful job. The ones in Edinburgh have a bad reputation but are under pressure from all sides - their employers have an even worse reputation. It's not a job I would like to do.

However they are human and deserve respect and politeness for doing the job they do. There are "jobsworths" in all walks of life but a smile and a "G'day" can lighten even the hardest of hearts. I've found most to be pleasant and helpful but there is always an exception of course.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
When Scarborough was a police state all traffic/parking enforcement was by police employed traffic wardens....the yellow hat-band variety.....four of them including one on a moped in recent years.

Then the police handed over the job to local council and there are dozens of them.......mostly east europeans with limited english so begging and pleading your case is all but impossible.

Saying that they do a fair job and the town would come to a standstill (as if it doesnt now :mad:) if there were none at all.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Traffic Wardens have an awful job. The ones in Edinburgh have a bad reputation but are under pressure from all sides - their employers have an even worse reputation. It's not a job I would like to do.

However they are human and deserve respect and politeness for doing the job they do. There are "jobsworths" in all walks of life but a smile and a "G'day" can lighten even the hardest of hearts. I've found most to be pleasant and helpful but there is always an exception of course.
Trouble is we've all seen the documentaries about the good old traffic warden. It's all bad news and painted in a bad light. They have a quota to fill and from what I've seen, hardly ever let you off. Suppose it's classed as just doing their job, but I wouldn't want to do it!!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Look you fellas, get one thing straight! It is OK to park on Zebra crossings, on zig zags, Double Yellows, blind bends, just before the crest, narrow streets, busy arterial A roads, IT'S ALLOWED!!!

as long as you have a blue badge, or, a 4x4 (these you can actually park with all doors open) while you fumble with your childs seat belt to remove the brat so he/she can terrorise his/her teachers.

In our Village we have a traffic enforcement officer that is invisable, We have people parking on Bus stops, double yellows , across drives etc etc

Yet!we have Jobs worths that told a neighbour the tree he had planted obstructed the view of people pulling out of our street onto the main road

Until he pointed out, the council had planted the tree, he had just put in a pole to support the tree

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I wish we had a traffic warden round here! The muppets park anywhere they like because they know there isn't any enforcement of parking restrictions. Just this evening while walking home I encountered an estate car parked on double yellow lines, on the footpath to the point of obstructing it, facing oncoming traffic on a blind bend. I have been know to ask "what page is it on"? Always responded to with a blank look at which I continue "what page of the highway code says you can park however the f£$k you like as long as you put your hazard flashers on"? We have no traffic wardens, we have PCSOs or whatever they call them, I asked one once why they ignored the car parked on the footpath on double yellows to which they replied "we have no authority over parking"!

D.

OP
OP
OllieUK

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009
I asked one once why they ignored the car parked on the footpath on double yellows to which they replied "we have no authority over parking"!

D.

Seems ironic that in actual fact they are breaking a law and the police have No authority to do anything about it.
The mind boggles.

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
Kings Lynn is not exactly dying but high rents and rates are forcing independents out leaving the usual collection of charity and cheapy shops and mobile phone outlets. Add in mid to expensive parking, even after 7pm, plus busy wardens and no wonder folk are shopping out of town, at least all except tattoo covered pie eating, coke swilling layabouts, and that's just the English. o_O

Thats why I dont go into lynn. lol

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I have differing views on this based on where I live in Northamptonshire.

In Northampton the "Enforcement Officers" are a nightmare. they patrol pairs, they are actively looking to generate revenue.

I have a t-shirt that pretty much says it all for Northampton
Mens_Blue_Parking_Ticket_Star_Wars_T_Shirt_from_Chunk_hi_res.jpg

In Kettering, nearest to where I live it couldn't be more different. There are only 3 or 4 of these people and you can talk to all of them. If you need to go and get change that's fine. If you are only stopping for 30 seconds that's fine too.

Come and park in Kettering everyone!

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
In our area the council has done away with all parking wardens - don't panic, when I said "done away" I didn't mean anything nasty, should possibly have said made redundant.
In place of the wardens the police have been asked to help out with parking problems and traffic flow, result ? near chaos. Since the demise of the wardens was published in all the local newspapers it has become a free for all, even the zig zags at pedestrian crossings are seen as legit parking :mad:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
You don't need a blue badge, isn't that what hazard warning lights are for,doesn't putting them on get you automatic permission to park like a pillock anywhere?

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Normal parking has been decriminalised. It is no longer a crime however parking that causes an obstruction or on zig zags etc. is still a crime and the police deal with it.

Overstaying meters parking on yellow lines is now under the control of the local authority. It is a civil matter and you get a penalty charge but no points.

The powers of the enforcement officers are contained in the Traffic Regulation Order. If in doubt ask for a copy from the local authority. They have to supply them by law but some local authority employees will try to fog you off. I was told by one they only had one copy and they didn't have provision to copy it. In that case the TRO becomes invalid.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back