Traders who rip you off of shipping (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I was just about to place an order with someone from this forum for a couple of reflective boards

Well priced and available..

Except when I went to check out and found they wanted to charge £6.70 for them ( weight under a kilo, almost all carriers charge £2.70 for the job inc vat )

I am afraid I will never ever be buying anything from them.. No matter if they are the only place to get what I want or not..

Really boils my wee this sort of behaviour..
Either sell stuff for motorhomes or sell over priced postage.. Your choice Mr dealer.. You have lost a lot more than the sale of a couple of cheapo boards today

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Sorry, and please don't take my comments as being demeaning or critical, but I don't understand.

You said the dealer had good prices for the boards, so a saving made there.

You suggest the carriage price was given online, so MAYBE this is a software issue not being intelligent enough to put 2 + 2 together. Possibly?

Is this dealer worth a quick call to clarify? I imagine if they're 'reputable, and on MHF, then they'll be decent about it and resolve your concerns.

Surely, for £4, it's not worth deciding not to deal with them ever again. You could go elsewhere and have hassles way in excess of £4.

Like I said, I'm not demeaning your point of view or your actions. I'm simply trying to establish if your grievance is really, truthfully, worth the opportunity cost of going elsewhere.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I run a mail order company. I know the costs....
One of the reasons I started my company was simply the fact I was sick and tired of being treated as an idiot by firms doing the same trick

If a company is so pee poor it has to make money by over charging on postage then it is not a company I will deal with

1) Why should I telephone a company at my cost ?

2) The postage charges were not made known until check out

3) The postage rate states weight of items shipping rate ( a joke )

4) With the inflated shipping costs the price is NOT good. Quite obviously they price the goods cheap and grab back the money by postal charges. Once their postal charges were added the items work out dearer than I can get at a local shop, eBay, or any of the shows we attend
The company proly takes the attitude that people will just say 'oh well' and carry on to place the order.. Not me......

It is a matter of principle.. And my local shop will gain from this particular traders underhanded practice

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I don't see a problem unless they are trying to hide the postage costs, it's the total cost that counts, i.e. price inc. P&P.
It's just the same as car & motorhome dealers who inflate the window price to offer a bigger part ex, it's how much to change vehicle that matters.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The cost WAS hidden until the last minute...

So you go through all the rigmarole of filling in details etc etc only to find the inflated price AFTERWARDS

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If it's the trader I'm thinking of, the cost of shipping is in the Shipping and Returns page.

Delivery Costs

All delivery costs are dependent upon the total weight of the items you order and where they are to be delivered, all postage items will be charged between £1.35 and £5.95.
Heavier items and multiple orders will leave via our courier service. A charge of £6.95 is applied for these items which is capped.

I also checked Post Office rate for your parcel.

A medium parcel under 1kg with proof of delivery is £6.75 .. http://www.postoffice.co.uk/price-finder

Selling on ebay I'm all too aware of postal charges and they have gone through the roof recently.. In my experience there is no such thing as 'free' delivery .. the seller offering this has usually added it to the cost of the item.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
The cost WAS hidden until the last minute...

So you go through all the rigmarole of filling in details etc etc only to find the inflated price AFTERWARDS

I agree that can be annoying. If it's a website I've not used before I usually look for a shipping rates header. Perhaps you could suggest it to them?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If that company uses Royal Mail ( now voted the WORST mail order delivery company in the UK contrary to their claims ! ) I would be amazed..
If I, as a tiny company, get rates of well under £3.00 for under a kilo, then you can bet your sweet bippy they do too

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Same as booking tickets online for gigs (she made me go to see Peter Andre):cry:

Find the seats then bank card charge then booking fee:Angry:---why can`t they put it all on the price to start with:Angry:

I also bought a car back a while from a dealer 5k on the screen 4,000 if bought on line with no p/x-- until they filled in the paper work , no MOT , a admin charge 100 , valet charge .
Told them where to stick it:thumb:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
At least with royal mail you get the priviledge of going to the sorting office for a half hour queue or more :ROFLMAO:

Jim et Lou

Free Member
Oct 12, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I am new to this
I shipped a parcel to Northumberland, the weight I overestimated at 20kg. it cost me £7.76 and that was collected from my home and delivered to the person (a Funster) the next day. so we know that we are being ripped off on postage costs. I feel the same way as Jaws and if I find I am being ripped off I do not and will not deal with that company again, even if it means cutting my nose off to spite my face. Its a matter of Principles :thumb:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
I shipped a parcel to Northumberland, the weight I overestimated at 20kg. it cost me £7.76 and that was collected from my home and delivered to the person (a Funster) the next day. so we know that we are being ripped off on postage costs. I feel the same way as Jaws and if I find I am being ripped off I do not and will not deal with that company again, even if it means cutting my nose off to spite my face. Its a matter of Principles :thumb:

I really don't get this, what's the problem?
OK, I sell an item on fleabay for £5 + £5 P&P, total £10.
Or, I sell an item on fleabay for £10 with "free" P&P, still £10.
The buyer pays the same either way, the difference is I make more by selling it at £5.
So which is better, more money for me or more for fleabay?
When buying, all that matters to me is total cost, simples.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I shipped a parcel to Northumberland, the weight I overestimated at 20kg. it cost me £7.76 and that was collected from my home and delivered to the person (a Funster) the next day................:

that is very cheap..

I've priced up shipping sewing machine heads about that weight and the price is prohibitive..

which company please.?

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I really don't get this, what's the problem?
OK, I sell an item on fleabay for £5 + £5 P&P, total £10.
Or, I sell an item on fleabay for £10 with "free" P&P, still £10.
The buyer pays the same either way, the difference is I make more by selling it at £5.
So which is better, more money for me or more for fleabay?
[HI]When buying, all that matters to me is total cost,[/HI] simples.

And that is EXACTLY the point !!!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
some sellers on ebay abuse the postage system to cut down on sellers fees or will only offer a refund less postage if the item is faulty. just a con to rip off both ebay and buyers

companies making a profit from postage are going to have an issue with the tax man when they get inspected. its vat fraud to claim back more than you actually paid on postage and the invoice trail will show they have done so

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
some sellers on ebay abuse the postage system to cut down on sellers fees or will only offer a refund less postage if the item is faulty. just a con to rip off both ebay and buyers

companies making a profit from postage are going to have an issue with the tax man when they get inspected. its vat fraud to claim back more than you actually paid on postage and the invoice trail will show they have done so

Sorry, but I have to disagree.
Ebay actively encourage sellers to offer "free" postage as ebay make more money that way, not because the buyers are any better off, unless they are too thick to work it out.

The P&P charges are POSTAGE & PACKING, not just postage, so include the cost of packing materials & labour for picking, packing, labeling, invoicing etc.

Personally I will buy from the person with seperate P&P charges over one who offers "free" P&P ( so long as the cost to me is the same) because ebay make less money (& the seller more) that way.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Fleabay include the postage in the final value fee now so it doesn't make much difference.

Final value fees
[HI]Your final value fee is 10% of your total transaction cost (including postage)[/HI]

You only pay a final value fee if your item sells.
You'll never pay more than £75 as a final value fee.
If your buyer pays with PayPal, you'll have additional PayPal fees.
Final value fees are different for Motors. There are no final value fees for Property or Classified Ads.

Broken Link Removed

:Doh:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Well I'm with Jaws on this one its one of my pet hates and am forever cancelling purchases because of it.

If they're not being deceitful as some on here are trying to claim then why keep the price hidden until the very end, why not put it on the front page then at least you know the real cost up front.

Why, because they hope that by the time you've gone through the system and added all your details you'll say "oh bugger it" and pay the inflated cost that's why.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Fleabay include the postage in the final value fee now so it doesn't make much difference.

Broken Link Removed

:Doh:

:Eeek: That's a new one, The robbing Barstewards.:Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry:

I shall have to bear that in mind when selling, think there might be a lot more "collect only or arrange own courier" from now on.
No wonder "seek & sell" is growing fast.
Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Calm Down, you're not as young as you were.

Yes I am !! Its only the external mantle that looks decrepit !

I think its the lack of carbohydrates::bigsmile:

Ahhh.. Possibly chocolate withdrawal symptoms ?

Just the Victor Meldrew effect.........

Yessss...... and exactly who do you think they based that program on ? :Eeek: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I am the 'Trader' being refered to in this post, the item is the plastic warning sign which is too large for it to be posted on our bulk Royal Mail post collection so it has to go by courier. We do not go to a Post Office.

They cannot be folded as they will crease and have to be packed carefully to avoid damage.

All my delivery costs are capped to a maximum of £6-95p per order and most are next day courier and the delivery cost is what we pay inc VAT.

Now you know why the charge is made and there is no rip off in any way

Peter

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Then with respect Peter, change your carrier mate. Simple
Or perhaps allow customers to arrange collection by their own carrier

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
I can see both sides of the story, having looked at peters site and the item in question it does clearly state Delivery between £2.95 - £6.95,
however if it was the item i looked at then the postage charged is more than the actual item, which would be a deal killer for me as well, but in all fairness its not right to slag them off for it on here , perhaps a polite pm would have been more appropriate
pete

Millibobs

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sax Alicante area Spain
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2004
Hi guys
Try getting something sent out to Spain. It's a nightmare with postal costs plus most don't seem to trust the Spanish postal service (neither do we) !!!:Angry:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I can see both sides of the story, having looked at peters site and the item in question it does clearly state Delivery between £2.95 - £6.95,
however if it was the item i looked at then the postage charged is more than the actual item, which would be a deal killer for me as well, but in all fairness its not right to slag them off for it on here , perhaps a polite pm would have been more appropriate
pete

I did not name any company at all.
If other people wish to name the company that is their prerogative

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Then with respect Peter, [HI]change your carrier [/HI]mate. Simple
Or perhaps allow customers to arrange collection by their own carrier

Google Hermes Carriers....We use them all the time, you can either take it to a convenient collection point or for an extra £1-50 they will collect !!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back