Traders who rip you off of shipping (1 Viewer)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I am very happy with the couriers I use, excellent service and invariably next day, as to Hermes and the like, paying for collections, no way with something like 150 orders going out on a Monday...............

Also bear in mind they have to be able to take a wide variety of items from a 3.5 metre awning, a 100 qt. coolbox, large tent down to a end cap..............

Peter

Must say...I cant complain. My item was £40 cheaper than anywhere else plus I then received the funster discount and FREE postage. At the end of the day all items are different prices and your eyes are your merchant wherever you shop.

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009
I was just about to place an order with someone from this forum [HI]for a couple of reflective boards[/HI]

Well priced and available..

Except when I went to check out and found they wanted to charge £6.70 for them ( weight under a kilo, [HI]almost all carriers charge £2.70 for the job inc vat[/HI] )

I am afraid I will never ever be buying anything from them.. No matter if they are the only place to get what I want or not..

Really boils my wee this sort of behaviour..
Either sell stuff for motorhomes or sell over priced postage.. Your choice Mr dealer.. You have lost a lot more than the sale of a couple of cheapo boards today
I just did a quick test on buying a couple of these boards
as you say from the supplier you tried and a few others.

JC = £56.00 for the boards £6.95 for postage.
Leisureoutlet = £60.89 for the boards, £5.95 for postage
FleaBay = £65.98 for the boards, £4.99 for postage
World of Camping = £65.98, £4.99 for postage.
Amazon (JC) =£60.00 for the boards, £4.95 for UK delivery

the list goes on, noone has advertised postage for £2.70 that I have seen.

From my quick online research it makes me wonder what all the fuss is about.
A rather strong claim that the postage was overpriced, you have to take the wrapping and time someone takes to prepare your package into acount.
Tut Tut on you. Mr!!

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
postage is simple but you can put what price you want for packing time, material etc
your not wrong there techno, i just paid 6.99 postage and HANDLING charge for a gas pipe fitting from i well known supplier. I hope they pay the packer well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
With all due respect you have NO idea what parts I was interested in.. and certainly NOTHING of the sort of value you talk about.

The value of the goods in question was £6.00 each

This afternoon rather than order two ( thereby entering the multi order scenario ) I tried just one. Postage was still £6.70

And I remind you MR that I actually run a mail order company too.. If time and packaging costs a company more than 83p as an average then once again there are obvious in house issues which should be looked at rather than be covered by customers

Might I suggest MR. that you read the whole thread rather than comment after reading a few posts

I only ship maybe 20 or 30 packages a day Eddie so I am not exactly the biggest mail order company in the world.. yet my postal rates ( clearly marked on every item I sell ) start at a pound !!

Sooooo
Buy something for a bargain £6.00 only to find out JUST as you are checking out the total cost is actually more than double ( £12.70 )

I never intended or wanted to even mention JC.. I am unsure how many times I have to repeat the same thing before it sinks in.

The thread was started because excess postage is the bain of MANY peoples lives and it pee's me off big time.

It was ScotJimLand who dropped a major hint as to who I might be talking about and then Peter himself stepped in and made it known it was JC
Demonstrating how clever one is is not always the cleverest thing to do on a forum

I have no issue with J C and have purchased an awful lot of stuff from the company over the past 8 years but always at shows.

My experience of on line shopping with the company was not great to say the least and came as a very nasty shock when compared to the service offered in person

AND AGAIN I REPEAT... I DID NOT MENTION ANY NAMES OR INFERRED OR INDICATED ANY COMPANY

Given there are people jumping on this thread who either cannot or will not read all the posts I shall not reply further.

There is little point repeating my self especially when most of the defending replies have absolutely NOTHING to do with the original OP..

I could direct that last comment at specific people but that would not be legit within the honourable realms of Fun

Let it go people.. There is sod all to be gained by furthering the debate

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I don't usually buy from eBay sellers who are ripping me off for postage, regardless of the item's starting price. I know what the Royal Mail rates are from my own selling activities, so if someone puts P&P down as £9.99 when I know I could send it for £2.80 I won't bid.

I accept that big items stored in quantity take time to process and package, but if I'm selling an item that fits into a small box and only needs a sticker putting on it I won't charge for 'handling'.

Royal Mail have recently dropped their 2nd Class 1-2Kg Small Parcel rate from £5.20 to £3.80 to try and compete with all the new kids on the block who've sprung up to challenge them. Worth noting.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I use a Royal Mail business account for 95% of my shipping as they really are the cheapest by far for what I need to send. They hiked their prices at the start of April by enough to make a difference. I have to pass that on to my customers. They are still my best option for bulk.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
clipped..........As to being added on at the end, it's not till the end that the system knows what you want and how much you have spent, making it hard to calculate the P&P until you've finished shopping :Eeek:
Eddie, the system (regardless of which online trader) knows exactly what you want and how much you are spending, as soon as you go to the checkout. That's where the P&P charges should appear, ie, right there and then, without having to go through the palava or rigmarole of registration and the entering of credit/debit card details............only then, to find that the total is either no longer desirable, or outside budget limits.

It's not rocket science. If P&P was like VAT, ie, as a percentage, then we'd all know what the charges would be, as soon as we filled our cart.

Regards,

Jock.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Eddie, the system (regardless of which online trader) knows exactly what you want and how much you are spending, as soon as you go to the checkout. That's where the P&P charges should appear, ie, right there and then, without having to go through the palava or rigmarole of registration and the entering of credit/debit card details............only then, to find that the total is either no longer desirable, or outside budget limits.

[HI]It's not rocket science.[/HI] If P&P was like VAT, ie, as a percentage, then we'd all know what the charges would be, as soon as we filled our cart.

Regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock

I just tested JC site and as soon as you 'add to cart' it asks for your country, post code,

the shipping cost is then calculated and shown before you give any personal details..

Correct... it's not rocket science..:Smile:

Last edited:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
It seems there are always gonna be winners and losers. Swings and roundabouts etc.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Jock

I just tested JC site and as soon as you 'add to cart' it asks for your country, post code,

the shipping cost is then calculated and shown before you give any personal details..

Correct... it's not rocket science..:Smile:
You are right Jim, there is an option to click on "Estimate shipping & tax", however, that is not as prominent as the two bold black options, to click on "Proceed to Checkout", but, it is there nonetheless, even if easilly missed.

Regards,

Jock.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I make sure my postage charge's cover the extra Ebay charge. So it's the customer who pays in the end, but may think they are being ripped off. I don't take the p#ss with the postage charge but if anyone ever questions the charge I will tell them it includes Ebays charge, so they know who is doing the ripping off.

The item cost me £7.99, it sold by auction at the starting price of £10 to buyer in Germany. The £20.00 postage I charged only just covered the cost of postage (£18.50) so by the time paypal took their cut & ebay took theirs I lost.
Would have been happy to break even, didn't realize they now took a cut of the postage cost as well.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I must be a bit thick because I have just been on the JC site and I either have to fill all detail to become a customer or if I wish be a guest but still have to fill all details apart from CC --Even though I did not accept cookies it still remembered me ---Once all the details where filled in it then gave me the P&P ::bigsmile: btw I did not put my real details in :winky:

Now it's got me wondering if I have shopped at JC because I get a email from them every so often --where did they get my email from ? ::bigsmile: Not knocking you Peter:thumb:I think he's one of the good guys :winky:
terry

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Now it's got me wondering if I have shopped at JC because I get a email from them every so often [HI]where did they get my email from[/HI] ? ::bigsmile: Not knocking you Peter:thumb:I think he's one of the good guys :winky:
terry

Hi Terry,

By filling in details and becoming a customer, it remembers your details and saves you filling it in every time, to get a newsletter you must have ticked the box to get them.

Peter

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Terry,

By filling in details and becoming a customer, it remembers your details and saves you filling it in every time, to get a newsletter you must have ticked the box to get them.

Peter
Don't remember doing so Peter --The only time I remember doing a almost deal was when your staff swapped a boiler out that had been filled with diesel and you said I could have it for 50 quid about 8 yrs ago ::bigsmile: I'm Still waiting for it :thumb::Smile:DIESEL IN IT NOW WILL BE WORTH A TENNER SO IT WILL PAY THE POSTAGE :thumb:
terry

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back