Trade plates query re insurance (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
AClass
Exp
4 years
we are due to collect our new motorhome from the dealer any day now. My other half says he can drive it home on trade plates - he’s not registering it until March. When I raise the question of insurance he says he’s not sure. Does anyone know?

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
He can only do so if he is employee of the holder of the trade plate , otherwise the employee can drive the vehicle to your house for purposes of delivery
There are a lot of restrictions on use of trade plates
Penalties
There is a maximum fine of £5,000 and a possible
prison term not exceeding two years for:

making a false or misleading declaration or providing
false or misleading evidence in an application

fraudulently altering or using trade plates, or

fraudulently lending them or allowing them to be
used by another person.
There is a maximum fine of £1,000 or five times the
rate of duty chargeable in respect of the vehicle or
vehicles, whichever is the greater, for:

using a trade licence for a purpose not permitted by
the regulations.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The person who owns trade plates will be insured via trade plate/ business ins ....You would need to ask if the owner of said plates has any driver cover or as in lots of cases employees cover.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
E
Feb 19, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
AClass
Exp
4 years
Are you (John Cross Mororhomes) saying that insurance is a separate issue to trade plates, 2 completely different things?

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
I sold a van last year when it was sorned. The dealer buying it gave me his trade plates to allow me to drive the van there for the exchange with the newer van.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
To get a trade plate you will need to supply to the DVLA copies of:

You’ll also need to provide one of the following if you’re renewing your licence or applying for your first one:

• your Companies House registration number
  • a copy of a public liability insurance certificate in your name
  • a copy of a motor trade insurance certificate in your name
https://www.gov.uk/trade-licence-plates

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Sounds like a risky way of doing it from what has been said above. Can you insure an unregistered vehicle against loss for when you get it home?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I understand there are restrictions to when and where you stop ie you can’t go shopping using them.
That’s what my mate said that uses them.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I sold a van last year when it was sorned. The dealer buying it gave me his trade plates to allow me to drive the van there for the exchange with the newer van.
I did the same a few years back but the dealer had to send his driver to use the plates. Just as well it was all in order because it was picked up by a npr camera and I got a DVLA notice about using a sorned vehicle. A quick phone call got it sorted because on closer examination the picture showed that trade plates were being used.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Trade insurance also will only cover the trade value less the excess of a particular vehicle unless a specific value is agreed with the insurance provider on an individual vehicle. As has been stated Trade plates and insurance are separate items. This is also worth noting when your camper is in the hands of a dealer or service agent.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
we are due to collect our new motorhome from the dealer any day now. My other half says he can drive it home on trade plates - he’s not registering it until March. When I raise the question of insurance he says he’s not sure. Does anyone know?
If the dealer is letting you use the trade plates you need to ask him if his doing so means you are on HIS insurance or whether you need to get your own, however if you are covered on his insurance obviously it could be at a lower value than you would ideally like and once the plates are returned you wouldn't have any insurance at all.

You'd still need to get it insured for being kept at home - even if it isn't registered it can be done I believe using the VIN number but insurance companies usually have a maximum time stipulation on this so waiting until March may not be a wise move as it could end up not being insured at all and that could be an expensive mistake if something happens to it.

John65

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2000
As far as I am aware the only safe way is get the dealer to deliver it. If your husband doesn't work for the dealer he shouldn't be using the plates unless a member of staff is with him.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Im afraid
To get a trade plate you will need to supply to the DVLA copies of:

You’ll also need to provide one of the following if you’re renewing your licence or applying for your first one:

• your Companies House registration number
  • a copy of a public liability insurance certificate in your name
  • a copy of a motor trade insurance certificate in your name
https://www.gov.uk/trade-licence-plates
Im afraid you are mistaken
You missed the word "Either" so in theory a new applicant can get plates with just public liability cover showing motor vehicle use
Ive had plates 25 years and have never had to supply any documents on renewal, my plates are recorded on my trade insurance as if they were a vehicle
and are subject to all the standard trade policy use, contrary to popular belief they cant be used for example to drive a vehicle with no MOT
or an un road worthy vehicle, they are nothing more than a universal Tax Disc and hold no more powers than that
And the police have a little poem they like to use "Red and White " STOP ON SIGHT, Red and white being the trade plate colours for those that did not know,
and have a very very very high stop success rate for misuse.
You would be very unwise to borrow and use any ones set of plates, it will almost certainly be used to refuse any payout from either partys insurance in the event of a collision regardless of who's fault it was, Im sure the new proud owner would drive like an Angel but re member he's sharing the roads with 1000s of idiots
Geo

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I
And the police have a little poem they like to use "Red and White " STOP ON SIGHT, Red and white being the trade plate colours for those that did not know,

Geo
I think that saying originated from the time in the 60s and 70s when you could get 2 different trade plates. One red lettering on white background and one white lettering on a red background. Not sure what the difference was but my mate who was in the used car business used to say the police motto was "Red on white, stop on site, White on red go ahead".

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I think that saying originated from the time in the 60s and 70s when you could get 2 different trade plates. One red lettering on white background and one white lettering on a red background. Not sure what the difference was but my mate who was in the used car business used to say the police motto was "Red on white, stop on site, White on red go ahead".
thats correct , but there are no "General" white on red trade plates in existence any more . The "restricted use" red on white are all there are now .

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Im afraid

Im afraid you are mistaken
You missed the word "Either" so in theory a new applicant can get plates with just public liability cover showing motor vehicle use
Ive had plates 25 years and have never had to supply any documents on renewal, my plates are recorded on my trade insurance as if they were a vehicle
and are subject to all the standard trade policy use, contrary to popular belief they cant be used for example to drive a vehicle with no MOT
or an un road worthy vehicle, they are nothing more than a universal Tax Disc and hold no more powers than that
You would be very unwise to borrow and use any ones set of plates, it will almost certainly be used to refuse any payout from either partys insurance in the event of a collision regardless of who's fault it was, Im sure the new proud owner would drive like an Angel but re member he's sharing the roads with 1000s of idiots
Geo

Just a cut and paste from the .gov site @Geo - it does say "ONE" of the following.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Do they allow you to drive those super cars? McLaren, Ferrari etc??

Yes they do, but it would only be legal as long as your Motor Trade Insurance provider is happy to give such cover and you were legitimately using the Ferrari in connection with your business - not to go to the motor factors to buy a tin of paint or some wet n dry.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Close to where I live, a 'dealer' drives home his car daily on trade plate, the same car... Is this in breach?

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
Close to where I live, a 'dealer' drives home his car daily on trade plate, the same car... Is this in breach?

Yes it is insured on his traders policy it just covers road tax he cannot nip to the shops or pub he cannot park on the public highway.
l am insured to drive any car unmodified super cars ect, if modified I have to inform the insurance company.
:party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Yes it is insured on his traders policy it just covers road tax he cannot nip to the shops or pub he cannot park on the public highway.
l am insured to drive any car unmodified super cars ect, if modified I have to inform the insurance company.
:party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2:

He parks on the public highway and uses the same car daily..He even parks on double yellow lines with impunity..

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
This thread prompted me to check my sons' plates. I sent cheque 5/12/17 to renew from 1/1/18.
Very serious to use if invalid, chq not cashed and no acknowledgment of payment. Rang DVLA, told lady the situation, oh yes sir, we have backlog so you can continue to use until 31st Jan, are you sure I asked? You are 1 month behind! yes you can use but if not heard by 31st contact again.
Now if Police check will they be told plate's are valid or expired ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back