Trackstar tracking system warning (1 Viewer)

Nov 19, 2018
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
8 years
Just found out my Trackstar tracking system does not work, needed updating but they didn't tell me. It has not worked since I bought it. It shows my location as Marquis where I bought the motorhome.

Trackstar want me to pay for a new one !!!!!!!!

They had told me to leave the engine running for 20 minutes while they update it. Then said they couldn't because it is obsolete. I paid for a three year contract, one and a half years ago but I have to buy a new unit.

As a lawyer of 50 years guess what I will do.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I do a call once a year to check operation.
I have lifetime contract from purchase for a fixed fee at the time.
Last year I called, they said all working fine but I needed to be put through to another department. Who, told me that although it was an old system and may stop working and offered a discounted price for an upgrade.
Politely told them to "go away" I was fine thank you.
They also said no one expects to have a lifetime contract for more than a few years....
I told them other than a failure of the device I expected monitoring for the full time I am in possession of the vehicle.
Have not phoned in this year as yet.

Feb 3, 2020
hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Hit the road in 2014
how would you stand with your insurance company if it is stolen and the tracker company is not monitoring. I would check with them to ensure they are still monitoring.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Just found out my Trackstar tracking system does not work, needed updating but they didn't tell me. It has not worked since I bought it. It shows my location as Marquis where I bought the motorhome.

Trackstar want me to pay for a new one !!!!!!!!

They had told me to leave the engine running for 20 minutes while they update it. Then said they couldn't because it is obsolete. I paid for a three year contract, one and a half years ago but I have to buy a new unit.

As a lawyer of 50 years guess what I will do.
Ask for 50pc off your new one???

Cheers James

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Ah, the old 'lifetime' con...

Lots of software apps have 'lifetime' subscription options. And then they just re-package it under a new name with some mild upgrades every couple of years to make you pay again.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I had the same problem with Scorpion tracker last year. It stopped working and Scorpion themselves were useless. They only wanted to sell a complete new system.......

......so that was what I did. With Vanbitz where at least you get customer service..... as well as... Bovril!!! (cue jasper Carrot). I was presented with the old system which took about 5 minutes to remove

OP
OP
Mr Richard Leathem
Nov 19, 2018
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
8 years
They have agreed to install a new one and restart the contract. Thanks for all your comments. I have also had Vanbitz install their own system which allows me to track it myself and notifies me. I also have Vanbitz alarm so 3 way protection. Only set it off three times so far!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have had the same Trackstar unit in my motorhome since 2015 and it still works. Yours may need software updates, but they should be able to do that remotely.

Are you using their App? If so the original app no longer works and you need to download the new one from Play Store or App Store. I think they now only allow tracking access through the app, rather then using the website.

I must say that I found their "help" staff utterly hopeless with regards to changing from the old app to the new one and cutting off the web access. It seemed to me that I knew more about their new app than they did. Not helped by their communications via message, as you would get a different person each time and they would not or could not read the previous parts of the message chain so I was continuously having to re-explain the problem and why they needed to look back to see the information they were asking me for, which I had previously provided.

What really annoys me is that their system will not allow you to check where the motorhome is now. All they show is where and when it last stopped.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Interested in the app peterc10 my tracker is the trackstar fitted by vanbitz in 2012 and is still working ( or at least was a few weeks ago).
Do you know if the new app link to the older trackers.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Interested in the app peterc10 my tracker is the trackstar fitted by vanbitz in 2012 and is still working ( or at least was a few weeks ago).
Do you know if the new app link to the older trackers.
Don't know. The Android version is called My Trackstar in the Play Store, probably the same name in iOS if you use Apple. Suggest you download and see if it will work.

How do you know where it is if you are not using an App?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Don't know. The Android version is called My Trackstar in the Play Store, probably the same name in iOS if you use Apple. Suggest you download and see if it will work.

How do you know where it is if you are not using an App?
Thanks I will give it a go.

I phone in to the tracking centre and ask them to tell me where it is... They allow that twice a year.

Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
We have a Vodafone system and I think the one fitted may have been sitting around a while as the box it came out of looked a bit tatty but the chap who fitted the alarm came to house to do it so all OK. Worked fine for a while until when returning from France went to set the Ferry setting and it would not connect, it still thought we were in Montalivet. So called Vodafone who arranged for engineer to come out about a week later to fix it. Said it likely needed a software update and had got half way thru and failed so fitted a new unit and all OK ever since.

I inadvertently test it 3 or 4 times a year by driving off A. Without the Dongle or B. Not turning said Dongle on. ::bigsmile:

Also have alerts set for geo fencing to enter or leave as well as being able to locate the van via the web or the App,, the App is great when out as you can locate then use the app to navigate back to the exact spot

OP
OP
Mr Richard Leathem
Nov 19, 2018
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
8 years
Since Trackstar fitted a new tracker ( to replace the one they said was obsolete after only a year and wanted me to buy a new one) , my motorhome is parked outside my house. The (current version) app shows the location but 10 days ago! No update. At least this is better than the old one which showed the last location as Marquis from months ago.
Fortunately, I paid for a Vanbitz tracker I monitor myself and this works all the time.
I was told by an engineer that Trackstar offered lifetime support to some and has several computer systems so it needs more income. If true, this explains why they may tell you your tracker is obsolete and try to sell you a new one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back