Trackr - anyone got one? An easy way to track stuff. (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just noticed there's an offer on this which ends today (no I haven't looked on ebay yet!), has anyone got one?

http://techiefans.com/the-easiest-s...0936100e91c8a910f1cbc2ec4d8&sxid=4l64gmyq2728

Link Removed

Track it down. From anywhere
If an item goes missing, TrackR's Crowd GPS network will help you find it. When another user of the TrackR app comes within 100ft range of your lost item, you will receive a GPS update of where your item is.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Found these on ebay, not quite the same but may do the job of finding keys etc ... or dogs:

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Sounds good, but it relies on other users being around. Im also wondering on how it runs on phones, power consumption, data, gps etc.

Does anyone here use one?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
12-18 months

I've watched the video now, clever idea. It does not use the mobile phone network directly, it communicates with any nearby phone running their app, the phone must then communicate with their server.

So The Big Question is what chance is there of one of their apps running on a phone near your tracked item. I make that zero or less.

All the time your phone runs their app it is listening for a tracker signal and feeding data back to them at your expense. Quite interesting personal freedom questions here.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I've watched the video now, clever idea. It does not use the mobile phone network directly, it communicates with any nearby phone running their app, the phone must then communicate with their server.

So The Big Question is what chance is there of one of their apps running on a phone near your tracked item. I make that zero or less.

All the time your phone runs their app it is listening for a tracker signal and feeding data back to them at your expense. Quite interesting personal freedom questions here.
Yes I realise that until/unless there are a lot of people using them the coverage will be miniscule but I was thinking more in terms of finding my wandering dogs, misplaced keys etc.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Yes I realise that until/unless there are a lot of people using them the coverage will be miniscule but I was thinking more in terms of finding my wandering dogs, misplaced keys etc.

100 feet wasn't it. But you still have to run their app.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
There are a few of these types of devices about. I don't believe they would be successful used for something that moves on its own (like a dog :)) because, in the absence of nearby users, the app on your phone simply remembers where you left it. When you get to within a few metres of it your phones Bluetooth will detect it. I bought one of these:

Link Removed

............. but haven't given it a serious trial as yet.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
There are a few of these types of devices about. I don't believe they would be successful used for something that moves on its own (like a dog :)) because, in the absence of nearby users, the app on your phone simply remembers where you left it. When you get to within a few metres of it your phones Bluetooth will detect it. I bought one of these:

Link Removed

............. but haven't given it a serious trial as yet.
Well stop living up to your username and get off your bum and try it properly!:D

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Got one.

Don't expect anything like 100 ft range.

The speaker is very quiet when you try calling it from your phone.

It really is quite limited in all aspects

Andrew

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
ive got a tile on my keys which works both ways to find keys or phone its a life saver for me as im forever loosing one of the other especially in my work van where keys can disapear into a box of fittings whilst im ssearching

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Looks good on paper. With a GiffGaff SIM giving free calls it should be a winner. How do they do it for the money ?
GiffGaff to GiffGaff only.
So unless your phone is dual sim or already on GiffGaff it's far from free.
My tracker is on GiffGaff but my phone is staying on three.
Payg Three texts = 2p (credit, not bundle)
Payg GiffGaff texts = 6p (credit, not bundle)

Last edited:

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Interesting concept WRT insurance, if the insurance company will accept the risk without a tracker fitted the difference in premium vis with/without is negligible in respect to the cost of the tracker.

Frankly if it's been pinched, I don't want it back.

Edit, ok feeling a bit liverish as car and MH insurance and services due.will no doubt have to shop around for the best deal as loyalty is penalised.

Cheers

Last edited:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
When we have lost our keys, we always know the gps location, somewhere in the house!!
I did buy one of the sort with a beeper attached to the keys and a little tracker handset but the grandsons love making them very and so the battery is always dead!

JT1

Free Member
Jan 29, 2017
England
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
2 weeks!
Interesting concept WRT insurance, if the insurance company will accept the risk without a tracker fitted the difference in premium vis with/without is negligible in respect to the cost of the tracker.

Frankly if it's been pinched, I don't want it back.

Edit, ok feeling a bit liverish as car and MH insurance and services due.will no doubt have to shop around for the best deal as loyalty is penalised.

Cheers

New here - only had a MH for a week so be kind with me!
Insured with Staveley Head. The difference in premium cost between having a tracker fitted and not, was £44. They don't accept SIM trackers so weren't keen on my TK103A (£26.75), however I am, especially when it's fitted with a £5 giffgaff SIM.
Couldn't agree more about loyalty being punished - can't remember the last time I renewed with the same insurance company. (y)

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Actually going to renew the car insurance with the RAC again this year, (could be 4th year in a row) they are within a £10 of the lowest quote on meerkat and expect to get that taken off.

Having said that every other insurance MH, scooter, building and contents etc, always have to find a new company to obtain the new business discounts. Just don't understand why they don't recognise the cost of customer churn or is it a case of ripping off those who don't shop around.

WRT post about traker cost vis insurance discount. When research originally, the tracker required came out at somewhere between £500-800 plus subscription fee all to save £40-£50 a year.

Don't consider its worth it as you'll never recover the cost of the tracker before the age of the MH makes it unnecessary from an insured value point of view.

I guess it does however depend on the value of the MH and or your view on risk/want a stolen item back.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Actually going to renew the car insurance with the RAC again this year, (could be 4th year in a row) they are within a £10 of the lowest quote on meerkat and expect to get that taken off.
Meerkat aren't the cheapest site for comparing quotes, the best way is to use a few and then see if the one you want to get your insurance from has some cashback/discount offers via Quidco etc ... I found that Saga kept coming up as the cheapest with various sites, with Confused.com being the cheapest. I then went into Quidco but they only gave £2.30 cashback for Confused.com but £27.50 cashback for Saga and although the Quidco to Saga quote price was £1 more, the extra cashback means I'll get £26.50 back!

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Know what you mean and have done that previously including the non comparison site companies.

However one thing I can't understand is why different companies appear to have particular socioeconomic preferences (word of the week).

When we ran 2 cars insured separately for myself and Spouse we could never get comparable quotes from the same companies. By that if her insurance company quoted me it was generally expensive and vice versa

Ah well how much fun would it be if we're all the same:smiley:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Yes got one of those, not impressed tbh, range not that good and battery died within 3-4 months:unsure: maybe mines a diff one but can't recommend I'm afraid :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back