Tracking on rear wheels (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
The van has passed it's MOT as usual with flying colours with the proviso that the front tyres would need to be changed soon. So I am changing them tomorrow. While I was at the tyre centre I asked the mechanic to examine the rear tyres. He was concerned about the tracking on the rear wheels and recommended changing both tyres. One tyre is only a year old and one I think was the spare.
Should I be concerned that the rear wheels could be out of alignment? Should a one year old rear tyre need changing after a year? is it possible that the rear wheels could be out of alignment or is it a clever tyre salesman, and a naive me?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Didn't know there was any tracking on rear wheels?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Foxy1956
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Was it Kwikfit ?
No, a local firm who I would say I trust. We shall have to have look at the wheels tomorrow. I expect I can the wheels alignment checked in Norwich as they can't do motorhomes because of the skirting getting in the way.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
The van has passed it's MOT as usual with flying colours with the proviso that the front tyres would need to be changed soon. So I am changing them tomorrow. While I was at the tyre centre I asked the mechanic to examine the rear tyres. He was concerned about the tracking on the rear wheels and recommended changing both tyres. One tyre is only a year old and one I think was the spare.
Should I be concerned that the rear wheels could be out of alignment? Should a one year old rear tyre need changing after a year? is it possible that the rear wheels could be out of alignment or is it a clever tyre salesman, and a naive me?
Sounds like National tyres ambitious salesman . .they get bonuses on the amount of tyres they fit .

OP
OP
Foxy1956
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Didn't know there was any tracking on rear wheels?
What could cause the rear wheels to be out of alignment? The van has had it's annual service. Mileage is nearly 100.000 miles.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
There's no tracking adjustment on the rear &, assuming leaf springs, little possibility of a bent axle. So all that's left is a displacement of the rear axle fore or aft on one side relative to the other. The easy solution is to have the rear tracking checked (you'll have to insist because you'll be told it isn't necessary). The alternative is to measure the wheelbase on each side axle dead centre to axle dead centre. There'll be a tolerance (probably a few mm) that will be hard to find out but your measurements would be a starting point.

Edit: If you have the front tracking checked optically (the norm these days) any rear misalignment will be found at the same time.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If only for peace of mind I would get it checked,. I guess it is possible the rear axle could be bent after hitting a kerb or pothole. In theory, if the whole axle was out of alignment the front wheels would just turn to compensate. The vehicle would then go down the road like a crab. Not unknown to see this on trucks.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
What could cause the rear wheels to be out of alignment? The van has had it's annual service. Mileage is nearly 100.000 miles.
An extremely hard kerbing is a possibility but still unlikely.

OP
OP
Foxy1956
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
There's no tracking adjustment on the rear &, assuming leaf springs, little possibility of a bent axle. So all that's left is a displacement of the rear axle fore or aft on one side relative to the other. The easy solution is to have the rear tracking checked (you'll have to insist because you'll be told it isn't necessary). The alternative is to measure the wheelbase on each side axle dead centre to axle dead centre. There'll be a tolerance (probably a few mm) that will be hard to find out but your measurements would be a starting point.
I am having two new tyres fitted tomorrow to the front and will wait for their opinion on the rear. Can you recommend a firm who can do the measuring?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If your rear tyres are under inflated the outer edges will wear faster than the centre tread area and scrubbing on corners will be more pronounced as the tyres will 'roll' (deform) more than usual.

OP
OP
Foxy1956
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Any garage or tyre bay with optical/laser tracking equipment can do it. (Most of them today)
£15 to £20 l
If your rear tyres are under inflated the outer edges will wear faster than the centre tread area and scrubbing on corners will be more pronounced as the tyres will 'roll' (deform) more than usual.
I hope with a full service and MOT that the tyre pressures would be checked. I'll check 'em tomorrow.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I hope with a full service and MOT that the tyre pressures would be checked. I'll check 'em tomorrow.
Tyre pressures, like lubing door hinges and locks, should be expected to be done on a full service....but don't bet on it.
When I started I was taught....If it has a moving part, oil it...including greasing exposed cables.
Seems to have fallen by the wayside these days.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The vehicle would then go down the road like a crab. Not unknown to see this on trucks.

I've seen this a few times over the years, follow a car on the straight yet see 4 wheels clearly. Then you notice you can see down one side. Obviously been in a shunt and not fixed properly.

Hell of a shunt for it to happen to a MH.

Last edited:
Reactions: DBK
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Had a couple of Iveco Cargo's at work that had the rear tracking go, the drivers swore blind they hadn't hit a Titan Kerb (they're the big ones you see on the motorway services and in ferryports) but I saw one of them clout a kerb, hard. A little bit of fettling can usually solve the problem.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Mini was wider on the front than the back it always gave the impression it was crabbing. but it wernt, my S was sideways at time's though;)

Last edited:

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
On a van with leaf springs on the rear it is not uncommon for the u-bolts to come loose especially if rear wheel drive this then snaps the spring spigot bolt letting the rear axel move out of line a simple fix once diagnosed.

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
Is there a possibility that the rear wheels had originally been fitted to the front and moved to the rear when part worn, if so maybe the uneven wear took place while fitted to the front axle.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Is there a possibility that the rear wheels had originally been fitted to the front and moved to the rear when part worn, if so maybe the uneven wear took place while fitted to the front axle.
That's what I was wondering too ....

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
easy enough to get this fault when rear air suspension bags have been fitted. i saw one guy using a metal bar on a ratchet as a torque multiplier to release the u bolts. as he pulled the bar round the van was rocking on the jack. so enough force to shift the axle on the leafspring as the bolts came loose.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Mini was wider on the front than the back it always gave the impression it was crabbing. but it wernt, my S was sideways at time's though;)
Front track was only one & a quarter inches wider than the rear.......I've seen em crabing up to 4 inches out.
Usually a badly repaired and aligned rear subframe mounting point.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Front track was only one & a quarter inches wider than the rear.......I've seen em crabing up to 4 inches out.
Usually a badly repaired and aligned rear subframe mounting point.
The Austin 1800's was known as The Landcrab in motorsport circles.

OP
OP
Foxy1956
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
No, we have had the van 8 years.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back