Tracking Devices (1 Viewer)

Sep 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
Has anyone had a tracking device fitted to their motorhome? Are they worth it?
Only come into use after you vehicle has been stolen, but do insurance companies value them and do you feel reassured once fitted?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Some insurers INSIST on one while others offer a discount if fitted.
Whatever saves them paying out is good for them.
Not all trackers are insurance approved and the cheap ones won't get any response from the police unless you notify them where it is so they can investigate

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Never had ours pinched, fingers crossed. We got a phone call from the tracking co to remind us we hadn't renewed, we were abroad at the time. been notified when we forgot to let them now we were crossing the channel. Favourite though will always be the cold caller, when the numbr was randomly dialled, I chatted for quite a while then asked if they knew they were calling Spain. Did make quite a difference to insurance, first motorhome and brand new. It is peace of mind, pain when it tells John I have moved the van though, I don't have a central locking key and often enter via habitation door.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I have had a PHANTOM tracker fitted
The App on my phone can;-
See where it is
Alert me when moved ( when having a repair for instance šŸ˜€)
Tell me what the cab battery voltage is

I get 15% off insurance as it is not a mandatory req

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have a Rewire 104 pro tracker which is constantly live and linked to app and messages any movement. It comes with a hardwire kit but I just re charge it every couple of months.
Cost Ā£89.99 and annual subscription Ā£17.50.

PS if hardwired fuel pump can be switched off remotely from app.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I have a tracker which stops the van getting nicked in the first place, itā€™s a Meta trak non starter from eddievanbitz, wonderful piece of kitšŸ‘šŸ‘
It sure beats waiting for the call from the tracker people telling you exactly where your vans getting trashed!!šŸ‘šŸ‘
The non starter also tells you where the van is, the starter battery voltage, hell it even tells you how good (or bad) youā€™re driving, but the beauty is, YOU are in control, you have the power to disable the engine via the app on your smartphone.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
I have had a PHANTOM tracker fitted
The App on my phone can;-
See where it is
Alert me when moved ( when having a repair for instance šŸ˜€)
Tell me what the cab battery voltage is

I get 15% off insurance as it is not a mandatory req
Same as me. It also shows engine battery voltage which as mine is in storage is not always pleasant viewing.

Feb 11, 2017
HALSTEAD ESSEX
Funster No
MH
ih VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2001
We have OTT alarm and tracker fitted , on the odd occasion that I have mistakenly set the alarm of the phone rings with in seconds and Carl's friendly voice asking if we are in the motorhome, they came to us and fitted it all

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Me too. Outsmart alarm and tracker fitted, so I can always track the vehicle from the app, enable, or disable the alarm, and also activate the engine immobiliser.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We have 2 trackers on our van.
I fitted a Rewire Security 303 and an AT50 asset tracker. Our insurers were happy to accept these and give us a 10% discount on our premium.
The asset tracker is set to sent it's position once every 3 hours and remains dormant not sending or receiving in between so it can not be found with a device that sniffs out tracking devices that a thief may use.

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
We have had a Startrack Trident fitted to our current van for the past 4 years and have had the same fitted to our new one which is sitting in the dealers compound waiting to be picked up! Insisted on by insurance due to value of van (CAMC insurance). We like it, works with mobile app, can see where it is, monitor vehicle battery, look at journeys etc. Like ability to track it when itā€™s in for service etc! found the company really helpful to deal with. New one has cost Ā£399 for tracker plus subscription fees.
We also have an alarm fitted.
Bill

BlackIce

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2020
York
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV40
Exp
We have the Phantom Sentinel tracker fitted, we mainly chose it as it is integrated with the Phantom alarm we already had and got a Ā£100 discount as it is an upgrade. It has been very reliable and the app is very good as you can lock and unlock the van with your phone and you check battery condition, location and mileage. We got a lifetime tracking package which is worth it if you are sure you are keeping for a long time.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I wonder what would happen, in the event of a theft claim, it was found the tracker wasn't operative would the insurers reduce or reject the claim in the way they would if you couldn't produce all the keys?

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
I wonder what would happen, in the event of a theft claim, it was found the tracker wasn't operative would the insurers reduce or reject the claim in the way they would if you couldn't produce all the keys?
I'm thinking that you would still be covered for 3rd party claims, but that's it.

Jul 22, 2013
Altrincham
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718xlb
Exp
I was a newbie
I have an intermittent tracker fitted that only sends a signal once a day at a specific time or when the supplier sends it a request, hopefully, if it was nicked, the thieves, when they scan the van for a tracker signal, it will not show unless they are scanning at the exact time it is sending a location to me. That said, i hope i never have to rely on it!

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I have an intermittent tracker fitted that only sends a signal once a day at a specific time or when the supplier sends it a request, hopefully, if it was nicked, the thieves, when they scan the van for a tracker signal, it will not show unless they are scanning at the exact time it is sending a location to me. That said, i hope i never have to rely on it!
Only once a day gives the thieves time to be across the Channel and half way down France, which is why I have mine set for every 3 hours.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Me too. Outsmart alarm and tracker fitted, so I can always track the vehicle from the app, enable, or disable the alarm, and also activate the engine immobiliser.
Not getting one of these, does that mean John could activate the immobiliser if I decided to go off on a jolly while he was playing golf?

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Not getting one of these, does that mean John could activate the immobiliser if I decided to go off on a jolly while he was playing golf?
Possibly, but if it was a Vanbitz alarm/non starter they provide you with an ā€œoverrideā€ key, so you could still possibly use it whilst he was away golfing, just make sure you have got it!šŸ˜šŸ˜‰šŸ˜‰

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
A Thatcham S5 category tracker is the only type of security device recognised by most insurance companies. I get an insurance discount because I have one. If the insurance world thinks this type of security device is worth a discount but not other devices it suggests they are worthwhile.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Has anyone had a tracking device fitted to their motorhome? Are they worth it?
Only come into use after you vehicle has been stolen, but do insurance companies value them and do you feel reassured once fitted?
You will find on here some say they are not worth it some say they are. If you get one make sure itā€™s a ā€˜managedā€™ service not just a DIY one.

Tracker is just one company
Vodaphone is another

There are others have search see what different companies offer and make your choice

itā€™s just one of different layers of security you need to consider

OP
OP
Davecrawf
Sep 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
A Thatcham S5 category tracker is the only type of security device recognised by most insurance companies. I get an insurance discount because I have one. If the insurance world thinks this type of security device is worth a discount but not other devices it suggests they are worthwhile.
That makes a lot of sense.
Thanks

OP
OP
Davecrawf
Sep 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
You will find on here some say they are not worth it some say they are. If you get one make sure itā€™s a ā€˜managedā€™ service not just a DIY one.

Tracker is just one company
Vodaphone is another

There are others have search see what different companies offer and make your choice

itā€™s just one of different layers of security you need to consider
Great advice.
Thanks

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I have a tracker which stops the van getting nicked in the first place, itā€™s a Meta trak non starter from eddievanbitz, wonderful piece of kitšŸ‘šŸ‘
It sure beats waiting for the call from the tracker people telling you exactly where your vans getting trashed!!šŸ‘šŸ‘
The non starter also tells you where the van is, the starter battery voltage, hell it even tells you how good (or bad) youā€™re driving, but the beauty is, YOU are in control, you have the power to disable the engine via the app on your smartphone.
Itinerants connect a winch, cut the h/brake cable, shear the steering lock and away !!
I suppose a wheel lock helps, but battery angle grinders negate that as well.
But we just keep minimising the risk..
Mitch.
PS. I know ,,,, Iā€™m a miserably B/ steward.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Itinerants connect a winch, cut the h/brake cable, shear the steering lock and away !!
I suppose a wheel lock helps, but battery angle grinders negate that as well.
But we just keep minimising the risk..
Mitch.
PS. I know ,,,, Iā€™m a miserably B/ steward.
Not me!! I have to shunt mine to get it out and thatā€™s AFTER Iā€™ve asked the neighbours to move their cars and one of oursšŸ˜‰šŸ‘šŸ‘

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
if they didn't ask how many keys you had when you insured it then the second word would be off. Anyway How many would they like? I'd just get more cut? I had 4 sets of keys for the last van . 2 for this but it only came with one key.
& how would they know if a standalone tracker wasn't working? Yes it has to be set every time you leave the vehicle if they require one but not if it isn't.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I found that my tracker was not operational after calling Sargent to ask them to check my unit as my annual fee was due and it was still under warranty ,itā€™s a good job I did.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
& how would they know if a standalone tracker wasn't working?
As far as I know the insurance companies will only accept what they call an ā€œapproved trackerā€, which means S5. S5 trackers have to be monitored so they would be able to find out if it was working properly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back