Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
Hi
We have a cat 1 alarm but was wondering about fitting a tracker too. What do people think of trackers and which one would you recommend? TIA

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Get one! ASAP!
Within 2 months of me buying my van I had Vanbitz put one of their Growlers and Non Start jobbies on it. Along with a tracker!
Total peace of mind. I can see where it is 24 hours a day. Instant email AND text if I accidentally trigger the alarm. Perfect.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'd use a tracker but strongly object to an annual charge. I could happily set a geo-fence on my phone and monitor the van's location but insurance companies insist on the charged version.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
I'd use a tracker but strongly object to an annual charge. I could happily set a geo-fence on my phone and monitor the van's location but insurance companies insist on the charged version.

Would you strongly object to someone nicking your van? I know I would. It's a small price to pay to know your vans whereabouts I think. The one Vanbitz fits is free for 3 years after fitment if I'm remembering correctly? And then it's a small annual fee after that. Again, if I'm right £50? Less than a pound a week.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Ive had a cat 5 tracker fitted. Paid one off fee so no more charges and can be moved free to another vehicle once in the first year. App on phone to see where it is and worldwide 24 hour tracking.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Ive had a cat 5 tracker fitted. Paid one off fee so no more charges and can be moved free to another vehicle once in the first year. App on phone to see where it is and worldwide 24 hour tracking.
Do you have any more info please?

OP
OP
Fermenter

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks to everyone that replied. I too would be interested in the cat 5 tracker please.

Arrius

Free Member
Jun 29, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
Yes, the best way to protect any vehicle is a GPS tracking device. Not only you will be able to recover it once it is stolen, you can place geofence zones as someone said and there are many more tools you can use such as movement sensor, shock sensor, and immobiliser to protect your motorhome.

Every vehicle I have, I installed a tracker immediately. You never know when you will be targeted and caravans are targeted quite often, especially when they are empty and rather easy to break in.

Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
So glad i have a tracker, this week my mh was stolen off the drive, whilst we were asleep, the tracker saved the van , i woke up at 0600 reported it stolen to tracker and the police located the van at 0745. Our van is now back on our drive & secure, next step is an alarm system with vanbitz. With insurnace loss,ncd, excess, loss of time, hassle, loosing bbqs, chairs etc the costs soon mount up, So i would definitely recomend trackers for the relatively small cost

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have a Cat1 alarm to keep the insurance company happy and a cheapie ebay tracker to keep me happy. £20/30 to buy plus £5 per month for a GiffGaff sim card. Tells me when the motorhome moves and plots it on Google Maps, I can get a position anytime by phoning it. Doubtless it lacks some of the sophistication of Cat? monitoring and does not help with insurance but it gives me peace of mind.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I have fitted one of these to our motorhome and each of our cars.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GPS-303-...481095&hash=item1cb9304888:g:ZT4AAOSwfshbEDte

They come with a one years access to the tracking app and you can either pay yearly or as we did which is after the one years we paid £60 for lifetime access.

I moved it from our previous motorhome to the present one and our insurance company was happy to accept this tracker for our insurance.

The one thing I like about this type of tracker is that I can access the app and setting and the information it hold any time I want.

With the one fitted to Yvette's car I can see her progress on here way home from work so I can make sure her dinner is on the table wait when she walks through the door. (y)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Don't need a tracker for mine.
No-one in their right mind would steal it.
If they did, I certainly wouldn't want it back.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Get one! ASAP!
Within 2 months of me buying my van I had Vanbitz put one of their Growlers and Non Start jobbies on it. Along with a tracker!
Total peace of mind. I can see where it is 24 hours a day. Instant email AND text if I accidentally trigger the alarm. Perfect.
Me too, great service, great product!!(y)

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
Rimor Sailer 645 2.7 TC fixed rear bed on Mercedes chassis and engine.
Just looked at the Tracker website and need to go on a jargon course before I can understand what they are talking about. They offer several types and levels of tracker and talk about something called 'geofence'. Is that something to keep Mr Trump out? Which tracker should I get for my August 2002 Rimor Sailer?

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
Spoke with Tracker. A couple of their products look suitable but they want £449 for a 3- year subscription, on top of buying the unit so nearly £700 initial outlay. Will check out VanBitz.

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
Hm....I looked on the VanBitz website and theirs costs £999 and annual subscription. I'll need to get the motorhome home and have a think because it is already fitted with an immobilizer and alarms both internal and external you can isolate ( e.g external only, when asleep inside etc).

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hm....I looked on the VanBitz website and theirs costs £999 and annual subscription. I'll need to get the motorhome home and have a think because it is already fitted with an immobilizer and alarms both internal and external you can isolate ( e.g external only, when asleep inside etc).
Hi Err We don't have anything at £999 with an annual subscription lol

Our insurance approved tracking systems start at £199 installed for the Trackstar system, the largest selling stolen vehicle location system on the market with well over 500,000 vehicles currently on track

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
Good point. When I was reading your PDF document on my mobile I couldn't find my specs. Will call them. Hopefully I won't have gone deaf by then.. ..

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
So glad i have a tracker, this week my mh was stolen off the drive, whilst we were asleep, the tracker saved the van , i woke up at 0600 reported it stolen to tracker and the police located the van at 0745. Our van is now back on our drive & secure, next step is an alarm system with vanbitz. With insurnace loss,ncd, excess, loss of time, hassle, loosing bbqs, chairs etc the costs soon mount up, So i would definitely recomend trackers for the relatively small cost
Old thread I know, but it’s insurance time and I’ve just had an argument with comfort insurance as they wouldn’t recognise the non starter as a tracker and I KNOW Vanbitz doesn’t sell them as insurance approved as such, but just reading this post and it got me thinking that if I had a nice tracker with a call centre behind it I would get a nice discount, then in the event I go to bed at 10.00pm and my Moho gets nicked at 10.10pm and I wake up at 09.10 and ring the centre telling them my van was nicked (11 hours have gone by) and they do their stuff and get it back with whatever damage has been done in 11 hours, all’s good then, BUT my Non starter wouldn’t have let the scumbags get it off the drive and there is zero discount for that?? Is it me? Is there a reason for that??

Ps discount or not, I’d rather have the non starter and stop em taking it in the first place!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Old thread I know, but it’s insurance time and I’ve just had an argument with comfort insurance as they wouldn’t recognise the non starter as a tracker and I KNOW Vanbitz doesn’t sell them as insurance approved as such, but just reading this post and it got me thinking that if I had a nice tracker with a call centre behind it I would get a nice discount, then in the event I go to bed at 10.00pm and my Moho gets nicked at 10.10pm and I wake up at 09.10 and ring the centre telling them my van was nicked (11 hours have gone by) and they do their stuff and get it back with whatever damage has been done in 11 hours, all’s good then, BUT my Non starter wouldn’t have let the scumbags get it off the drive and there is zero discount for that?? Is it me? Is there a reason for that??

Ps discount or not, I’d rather have the non starter and stop em taking it in the first place!!
Ill tell you what's even more annoying....
You pay the insurers to cover you against theft then they insist you have fitted, at your expense, a device which almost guarantees it will be recovered if it is stolen so they don't have to pay out on the risk you paid them to cover.
If they recover 10 and lose 1 they're quids in at their customers expense.

Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
Without my tracker i would not have recovered my mh within the hour after i reported it stolen, i have since had a growler & ns fitted so it does not disappear again. I have since heard that if it was not recovered the insurance wont pay out for a year to give them a chance to find it. At the end of the day we are in a world where things get stolen by scumbags, who take advantage of other people’s belongings so having been through a theft I think security is very important. Even considering of fitting dead locks as well.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have since heard that if it was not recovered the insurance wont pay out for a year to give them a chance to find it.
Then you are with the wrong insurers.
A few weeks would be acceptable.
If they later recover it in a reasonable condition it goes to auction to recoop some money.

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
my Non starter wouldn’t have let the scumbags get it off the drive and there is zero discount for that??

It's an interesting point, but a non-starter device wouldn't stop me (Jonny Thief) from either towing your Motorhome away or simply lifting it with a hiab on to a flatbed :unsure:♂️

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
It's an interesting point, but a non-starter device wouldn't stop me (Jonny Thief) from either towing your Motorhome away or simply lifting it with a hiab on to a flatbed :unsure:♂️
True but I’m pretty sure my neighbours would do something if a big flatbed with a hijab pulled up on street (as it would block the street!!)and it has to be shunted to and fro to get it out, can’t just drive it out!!!
If they want my elddis that bad they can sit and wait till the nearest junction and jack it off me, no tracker in the world would stop that!! And yes I can track them with the non starter, and I can shut the thing down as soon as they stop (which you can’t do with a normal tracker).
I hear what you’re saying but I’m happy with my tracker decision(y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I can shut the thing down as soon as they stop (which you can’t do with a normal tracker).
Oh yes you can........ One text message and whichever circuit you chose at installation is disabled.... Fuel pump, starter motor etc.
£30 on ebay.

IMG_20190516_37795.jpg

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I've bought and fitted 3 of these...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/292400215553

£13 to buy plus a one off fee of £10 for the O2 credit that will last years. Very accurate even when fitted right inside the van. You download an app that uses Google maps. You text it the position update frequency, got mine on every 5 minutes
I made timers so they shut down 20 minutes after the ignition goes off to save power and credit. The last position stays on the map.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back