Sep 6, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own a MH yet
Exp
15 years under canvas, 13 years in a caravan
Today's question is.
When we get a Autosleeper Symbol (yes we've decided) that's belonged to someone who has looked after it and loved it.
Do we fit a tracker??
I'm guessing that insurance companies will love it, I'm assuming that if it's stolen, we will have a better chance of being reunited with it.

Any advice funsters
Julie and Charles

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
This still baffles me with some of these posts!

When people go its a waste of time having a Tracking system installed and I wouldn't want it back!!

Fine ok its parked at home all stripped out with nothing in it all ready for the winter period park up and somebody breaks into your house and steals your keys and drives it away and now its gone! Fine its insured and in time you will be compensated financially or a replacement vehicle may be supplied over time (hopefully in time for your next holiday you have booked and all excited about!).. that's what we pay insurance for (y)

Now put it another way.. you are now in the South of France on your holiday.. everything for your two week, two month, 2 year break is in your van. not locked in a hotel room but in your van apart from what you are carrying on person.
NOW the van is stolen with your keys as an example and the obvious being you don't even realise it has been taken for some time as you sit in that lovely restaurant for the afternoon using that last bit of Euros you have in your wallet or purse, and on your return don't worry its ok because you wouldn't want it back anyway :rolleyes:.. I bet you would! Your passports, personal items, credit cards, your mobile phone chargers as you just realised your battery is about to go flat and you cant charge your phone to make those important next phones calls, as examples, everything you need has just driven off!

At that point I bet you wish you could make a call and get your van located and returned? I know I would as I'm stood there with my Wife and 2x kids and massive Dog thinking now what the hell do we do!

We all see these horrific posts (luckily not to many) where somebodies motorhome, pride and joy has been taken and they are posting all over social media to try and locate it and everytime the question is asked... Do you have a tracker or alarm system and everytime the answer is no.. I bet in a heart beat they could turn back time and have one installed.

Yes I am involved in this market as most of you know and I have grown up with knowing the importance of security products because we deal with it on a daily basis but in the grand scheme of things looking at the value of these vehicles and personal ties to our motorhomes then surely in general a small outlay on protecting it is a must whether you decide on Tracking, alarms, self monitored systems and so on?

For me it more the concern on the inconvenience factor when faced in such an example as mentioned above.

Just my opinion anyway rant over!! :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
@Julie and Charles
If you do go down the Van Bitz route don't forget to mention you are funsters from the word go. It's worth 10% discount.
We had one fitted ( tracker and non starter) earlier in the year, and yes we got a discount from Comfort of £18.00 so not a great deal but for peace of mind it's worth it to me.
Geoff

UPDATE.
Just had an email from Meta Trac advising subscription about to expire.
Renewed for £55.00 for next twelve months. Take away £18 reduction from Comfort
That's works out at 71 pennies a week.
For that I know it can't be driven away even if they get hold of the keys, it lets me know where the van is exactly, not next door on a semi detached. It's that accurate.
It tells me if the vehicle battery drops below a given value. It gives me a history of where and when.
Not sure how much cigs or drink are these days but probably more than 71p:D2
Geoff

Upvote 0

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
UPDATE.
Just had an email from Meta Trac advising subscription about to expire.
Renewed for £55.00 for next twelve months. Take away £18 reduction from Comfort
That's works out at 71 pennies a week.
For that I know it can't be driven away even if they get hold of the keys, it lets me know where the van is exactly, not next door on a semi detached. It's that accurate.
It tells me if the vehicle battery drops below a given value. It gives me a history of where and when.
Not sure how much cigs or drink are these days but probably more than 71p:D2
Geoff

Has it been a year already since your installation?

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2016
Wokingham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We had Strikeback and MetaTrack fitted by Eddie's team - a damn good tidy job, and now when i winterise and leave it locked at the 'compound' i actually do not worry - strangely am checking battery voltages every few days via the MetaTrack app though!

Upvote 0
Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
For piece of mind fit a cheap, but exceptionally good tracker from Amazon. Easy to hide somewhere in the Motorhome and no issues with power consumption if you have solar or leave the van on EHU.

Simple to set up a movement radius and shock sensor built in.

One phonecall returns SMS with current position link to Google Maps (Smartphone required).

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
For piece of mind fit a cheap, but exceptionally good tracker from Amazon. Easy to hide somewhere in the Motorhome and no issues with power consumption if you have solar or leave the van on EHU.

Simple to set up a movement radius and shock sensor built in.

One phonecall returns SMS with current position link to Google Maps (Smartphone required).

I've been thinking about one of these, have you got a link to one of the Amazon ones, there seems to be a lot on there at variable prices.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back