LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
My new van has a tracker fitted and my insurance company are insisting that it's activated.

what should I expect to pay and are trackers able to go from one provider to another?

Could actually be cheaper to cancel my insurance and go back to safeguard who don't need the tracker installed or activated.

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
I pay £96 a year and get a phone call if alarm goes off

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
the non-thatcham Vanbitz Non-starter tracker (which is a modified Metatrack Shield?) is £55/pa or £150/3yr subscription from yr2 onwards (yr1 included in cost) i think the monitored thatcham systems are around £100/pa

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
As far as I know, tracker can’t be transferred to another company, I.e a ScorpionTrack would need a ScorpionTrack subscription, and a Cobra would need a Cobra subscription.

Personally unless the saving was well in excess of the roughly £150 to £200 annual subscription I’d not move to an insurer who insists on a tracker - it is just one more policy condition that you will have to comply with (and be able to prove you complied with) which would give potential wriggle room for the insurer in the event of a claim.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I paid a one off subscription to global telemetrics for lifetime cover ...that' as long as I owned the vehicle ..it' been in place 4/5 years now and still going...
Enquiries about changing it over to another vehicle didn't seem to make financial sense.. compared to just starting over again ..
Andy.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Our Phantom tracker is just over £100 for one year £200 for two and £399 for 5 year, 5 years ago we took the 5 year deal on the basis that we would most likely still have the same van, we do(y) so how long this time is the question? 2 years I could see but will we have it another 4 or 5 years, I wouldn't be surprised.

Martin

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I paid a one off subscription to global telemetrics for lifetime cover ...that' as long as I owned the vehicle ..it' been in place 4/5 years now and still going...
Enquiries about changing it over to another vehicle didn't seem to make financial sense.. compared to just starting over again ..
Andy.
I have the same and it was a big sum to start with but gets better the longer you have it. I can track it myself so cannot forget where I parked it in strange places.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
I have the Phantom tracker, took the lifetime deal, when paperwork came thru it stated five years, when I queried this I was told by Phantom that it would be automatically renewed at end of the five year period for as long as I had the van

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
the non-thatcham Vanbitz Non-starter tracker (which is a modified Metatrack Shield?) is £55/pa or £150/3yr subscription from yr2 onwards (yr1 included in cost) i think the monitored thatcham systems are around £100/pa
Is the above tracker recognised for insurance purposes. I have one plus a factory fitted one.With the Metatrak I can monitor my self.
Instead of subscribing for two I could drop the factory fitted one to save me £100.00 per year.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
WE are having a new alarm fitted and there is a built in active tracker (not a call after the event) there is a one year ,three or five year price package we decided to do it annually so we don't forget when it's due at £95 a year which gives us a call centre help system as well as being able to isolate everything (ignition/door locks /electronic keys )

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Is the above tracker recognised for insurance purposes. I have one plus a factory fitted one.With the Metatrak I can monitor my self.
Instead of subscribing for two I could drop the factory fitted one to save me £100.00 per year.
i don't believe so, as i think it needs to be independently monitored or features need to be disabled to comply? @eddievanbitz would be able to confirm.... I don't need to have an insurance approved one so it doesn't matter to me - and i think i am more likely to monitor it properly than a third party monitoring company. for me, the ability to remotely monitor / immobilise the van is the strength of the product

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We paid £395 for lifetime ownership, i.e. the subscription only stops when we sell the van. I best keep this one for more than a few months then:D

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Our Auto Sleeper came with a Hal-Locate tracker fitted. The subscription is £260 for two years or £499 for five years. They use an O2 SIM card and we can’t get a signal at home, although it does trigger the phone call once you move into a signal area. This happens every time I set off from home. This is because the “Disarm” signal isn’t received and for some reason, when it reaches a signal area, the Vehicle Moved” alert is triggered before the Disarm signal!

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Hi I had same issue with my auto sleeper came with a fitted tracker I didn’t want.insurance wanted it activated but I insisted that Eddie Vanbitz tracker was better. They came back and said ok no problem.
AIB insurance (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back