Tracker required (1 Viewer)

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
i have contacted Safeguard to change our insurance. They tell me that I cannot bring the new MH out of the dealers without it having a Tracker already fitted. It already has a Cat 1 alarm, but I need a Cat 5 tracker.
I have been reading posts about trackers and there is mention of needing to always carry a 'pebble' when away from the vehicle and to keep it separate from the keys. Having no idea what I am talking about re. Trackers, can anyone enlighten me as to how that are operated, and also any suggestions of which one to buy. Wherever I buy from it will have to be fitted at Bawtry.
Thanks

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It might be worth ringing round for a new insurance policy that doesn't need a tracker as the cost to have one fitted and run each year will cost a lot more than cancelling your existing policy and going elsewhere.

That is unless you particularly WANT a Tracker ... personally I wouldn't.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Eddie at Vanbitz would probably be the best guy to talk to (y)

ps: don't forget to ask for your membership discount at time of booking

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Insured van with Comfort. They were happy that I had booked at Vanbitz to have alarm and tracker fitted, so could collect van from dealer

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
As above, I also use Comfort and they give 30 days to sort out the security, which I also used to visit Vanbitz.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Regarding the types out there. I have one as I wanted one. Other then it's instalment I do not have any separate device needing to be carried on your person. I understand that Vanbitz have such a set up in relation to something they install but not sure if it's part of a tracker

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Regarding the types out there. I have one as I wanted one. Other then it's instalment I do not have any separate device needing to be carried on your person. I understand that Vanbitz have such a set up in relation to something they install but not sure if it's part of a tracker
They fitted me a Meta Trak 'none start' system, which has its own tracking facility.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
It depends on the value of your motorhome, probably not the cheapest option but we are with Global Telemetrics and Smart track, they always know where the MH is, if the pebble isn't in it they phone my mobile, our work number or our home.
They know exactly where our MH is and they know where the pebble is too.
I have a password to confirm it is us moving in the MH and not anyone else.
If MH moves away from the pebble it causes the alert.
Install and register fees and then annual monitoring service fee different cost options.
I once lost the pebble, they confirmed it was still in the MH, I once lost the husband and the MH, they told me where he was parked!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I once lost the pebble, they confirmed it was still in the MH, I once lost the husband and the MH, they told me where he was parked!
Now THAT is something worth considering ... finding where you've parked the ruddy thing! :D2

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We had to have the cat 5 tracker fitted it also has the pebble safeguard wanted or told us it had to be fitted by the dealer .
We said no and went to Vanbitz to have it fitted safeguard still covered us but we had no theft cover for 10 days untill tracker was fitted .

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Eddie at Vanbitz would probably be the best guy to talk to (y)

ps: don't forget to ask for your membership discount at time of booking

We've got a Cat 6 Trackstar on ours as the insurers insisted when we bought it. No "pebble" needed.

Don't know if they would still insist but I've just renewed it for another three years anyway.

They fitted me a Meta Trak 'none start' system, which has its own tracking facility.

Not Thatcham approved though so won't satisfy an insurance company who are asking for Cat 5 or 6.

We've got the previous incarnation of Non Starter as well.

Sheriff

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 3, 2010
Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 yrs
We had our Carthago tracker Cat 5 fitted with Premium Motorhomes who are at nr Bawltry

John

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We had our Carthago tracker Cat 5 fitted with Premium Motorhomes who are at nr Bawltry

John
Thanks, that's where our MH is. I will ring them tomorrow and see what options they have. I am surprised that they did not offer it as a dealer fit extra as they are already fitting the alarm.
Safeguard told me that it depends on the value as to whether they allow 14 days for fitting.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
When sorting our insurance for the new van last month. AIB wanted tracking that comes with the van activated. I spoke with Vanbitz and wanted the full alarm growler and meta track rather than paying someone else to track and inform me long after the van was down the road. But this was not approved by the insurance I was told. I insisted this was far better than what they wanted why would I spend so much otherwise. I gave them the installation date a week after collection. They then agreed Eddies alarm is better :) worth pressing them rather than just accepting what they say(y)

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
WE are insured with Comfort - didn't insist on a Tracker at all

But we fitted a Rewire DB1 with ignition isolation

But that isn't an approved tracker so doesn't give discount although it has been noted we have one

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
NFU don't insist on a Tracker .. Small item to them when you consider the cost of a new combine. When you consider how much a Tracker costs over the years with their yearly subscription it made sense to pay a bit extra on the insurance and not have to bother with one.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I realise the insurers are protecting their own interests by insisting on trackers BUT it's unlikely they will ever need to settle a total loss theft claim (not saying it won't happen, but much less likely) so you are paying for theft insurance you possibly never will make a claim on.

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We would rather not have a tracker and think it is a waste of money. But as soon as I tell them the price we are paying I have had problems finding companies to quote without having one fitted. Safeguard say that if MH stolen or written off in first two years then they will replace with new vehicle. If the MH had been a bit cheaper then we would not have to fit a tracker. Thanks to everyone for their replies.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
When we got out new MH in April, Comfort wanted a Cat 5 tracker as it was over the 100k mark. we opted for the Trackstar by Vanbitz but Comfort would not insure for theft until it was fitted. It is a bit of a pain remembering the "Pebble" as it does not have a keyring hole so cant add it to your keys which is by design as they want them seperate. I tend to leave it in a secure place in the motorhome but far enough away that it triggers it if you move the vehicle without putting the pebble near the dash. As my van is in the dealers being repaired "again" i know this works as they keep calling me to say it has moved everytime they take it in the workshop :) No doubt when they set off at 6am in a few weeks time i will get another call saying it has moved again which i wont be happy with but at least i know it does work. It is blinking expensive though :(

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
i have eddies system fitted ,if i dont remember to disable the gsm ,i get a phone call within seconds telling me that the alarm has been activated , also if i drive it without the pebble i get a call asking me for my password ,it was also usefull when i had the alarm trigger ,it rings me up and i can check where the moho is and if it is moving , i went down to see if i could find out why it triggerd and thats when i spotted some mouse dirt ,so for the next two weeks it was an all out assault on the mice ,turned out there were a familly of them ,20 traps placed and baited got them before they started breeding , eddies system went off a few times that couple of weeks and it was always triggered by mice ,so as i see it ,its paid for itself

celticmini

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
We are also insured with comfort, tracker fitted by dealers a freebee, the annual change is not much. Full cat whatever, the insurance company love it! We activate it and deactivate it ( when I remember) from an app on phone. If I forget, which I do, young lady phones me on my mobile, hands free, and I tell her some security info to prove its me and all ok. It is useful as i can contact it via the app to check it is still in same place but it tells me state of charge of internal battery and vehicle battery, so no more flat battery in winter. It evens phones me when it gets below a certain voltage!
Tome worth money, for convenience and peace of mind!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As said NFU are one of the few companies that will insure any value vehicle without a tracket.

WE are insured with Comfort - didn't insist on a Tracker at all
With comfort, 40k to 75k alarm or tracker required, 75k or over tracker required.

Now THAT is something worth considering ... finding where you've parked the ruddy thing! :D2
Fitted one of the 30 quid jobs just for my own use, in France out on the bikes couldn't remember when the Aire was so phoned the tracker - result texted me back the cordinates - brillant.

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
As said NFU are one of the few companies that will insure any value vehicle without a tracket.

I have spoken to NFU twice this morning. Different person each time, and two of the most pleasant call centre people that I have ever come into contact with. The outcome is that I have insured with NFU. They were only interested in the weight and engine size. They do not do breakdown cover for larger vehicles, but we have ADAC cover.
Thanks for the info, it has saved me a lot of hassle.

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Not sure how I have managed to put my message in with Lenny HB 's quote, but the part about NFU is my bit!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Not sure how I have managed to put my message in with Lenny HB 's quote, but the part about NFU is my bit!!
If you edit the response you can cut and paste your response outside of the quote box.

Jan 17, 2013
Whittington, Oswestry
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Bourton
Exp
Since 2000
This might be a useful link for you;

I am having the Vanbitz Non-Starter MT fitted to my new motorhome along with the Strikeback Alarm as the Caravan and Motorhome Club insurance do not require a tracking device ( have been insured with them for 8 years and they always beat all other quotes).

I believe the Non-Starter MT is based on the Meta Trak Shield.

The Meta Trak VTS system is Thatcham approved and I had a quote of £475 fitted. Not going with that as I want the Tracker linked to the Strikeback alarm - would have been tempted if Vanbitz offered the VTS version.

Importantly for you Meta Trak offer mobile installation and by filling in the enquiry form on their website you will be contacted by those closest to you. You might be able to persuade your dealer to let them fit it at their premises.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Insured van with Comfort. They were happy that I had booked at Vanbitz to have alarm and tracker fitted, so could collect van from dealer
That is not quite what they told me last week. Yes I had 30 days to fit the tracker, but during that time I would not be covered if the van was stolen.

My existing insurer (Safeguard) quoted a silly price at renewal so I shopped around. Comfort were much cheaper but they were not interested in Eddie's Cat 2-1 alarm I have fitted, they wanted a Cat 5 or 6 tracker.

It turned out to be cheaper to use Comfort and fit the tracker and pay the first year sub rather than renew with Safeguard. So now I have 2 trackers. One from Eddie (not cat 5 or 6) and one from Trackstar.

Interestingly Safeguard only ever insisted on the alarm and did ask for a tracker.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back