TOYOTA 'Toads'....The Yaris will not follow !? (1 Viewer)

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
26 yrs CVing + 14< MH' ing
Just changing from a SMART Toad to the YARIS...
Its the 1.4.D Auto /Man Gearbox and a PUSH buton starter Keyless entry system.

Now I know this type of gearbox is ok [ IN 'n' POSITION] but on the trial run the FRONT wheels were NOT turning as we went R & L...[some noise also]

Apparently is does have a steering lock which is 'disengaged' when the ignition is on.....
THIS IS NOT IDEAL...

Also we know that the AYGO & IQ are made to TOW without problems.

I know that there will be some answers/advice out there in MHF land...I have asked a couple of the Dealers BUT their silence speaks volumes & NO return tele calls .:Sad:

Any help would be super...

WHY change???? Retirement present [ a PUP Terrier / Rescue] Needs to be in the back of the vehicle....

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have a Peugeot 107 5 door manual which is the same chassis / engine combination as the Toyota Aygo. Its a very good toad with room for 4 and shopping or two and a dog :thumb: I do not believe the auto version is towable as toad

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
The auto 107/Aygo/C1 is towable - we have one.

Rog

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

welsh winger

Free Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sunny Swansea
Funster No
MH
swift lifestyle
Exp
4 years
Have to ask, which smart do you have, our dog 8 year old cross staffi jumps in to the back of our 4 2 and is quite happy.

Attachments

• clean1 (1) (600 x 450).jpg
    clean1 (1) (600 x 450).jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 22

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

Now I know this type of gearbox is ok [ IN 'n' POSITION] but on the trial run the FRONT wheels were NOT turning as we went R & L...[some noise also]

Apparently is does have a steering lock which is 'disengaged' when the ignition is on.....
THIS IS NOT IDEAL...

Also we know that the AYGO & IQ are made to TOW without problems.

I know that there will be some answers/advice out there in MHF land...I have asked a couple of the Dealers BUT their silence speaks volumes & NO return tele calls .:Sad:

Any help would be super...

WHY change???? Retirement present [ a PUP Terrier / Rescue] Needs to be in the back of the vehicle....
This ex[lains why yer wheels wont turn then:Doh:
Easy option is get auto sparks to supply a feed to the auto lock when key is in accsesory position rather than ignition on position:thumb:
I say feed, it may be earth triggered, your sparky will sort that out

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The auto 107/Aygo/C1 is towable - we have one.

Rog

Our 107 handbook says that it should not be towed , not clear whether it refers to the manual, auto or both. We have not had any problems with ours.

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
Our 107 handbook says that it should not be towed , not clear whether it refers to the manual, auto or both. We have not had any problems with ours.

Interesting. I never actually checked - I simply went on the advice of Towbars2Towcars.

What I do know is that these cars, if auto, use a tiptronic type box. It's actually a manual car with a clever little monkey hidden in the electronics that changes the gears for us.

I think Toyota may say it's safe to tow (and the car is basically a Toyota with a 107 badge).

Anyway, we've towed ours for several hundred miles without problem. We're towing it to some skiing late December.

Rog

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Easy option is get auto sparks to supply a feed to the auto lock when key is in accsesory position rather than ignition on position:thumb:

If I read correctly he will have to fit an ignition switch first

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Interesting. I never actually checked - I simply went on the advice of Towbars2Towcars.

What I do know is that these cars, if auto, use a tiptronic type box. It's actually a manual car with a clever little monkey hidden in the electronics that changes the gears for us.

I think Toyota may say it's safe to tow (and the car is basically a Toyota with a 107 badge).

Anyway, we've towed ours for several hundred miles without problem. We're towing it to some skiing late December.

Rog

Hi I didn't notice what the handbook said until after I had the A frame fitted. I assumed that as car a tow and others produced an a frame that it was ok.
As with you have had no problems

Larry

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If I read correctly he will have to fit an ignition switch first
Its called a key card Jim:thumb:
and im sure there will be provision to rig up a 12vposs or earth switched supply to disable the electric steering lock:thumb:
If not then he can't tow it, seemples:Doh:

carpyone

Free Member
Mar 28, 2008
Needingworth, Cambs
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Hi,

I tow a Toyota Yaris 1.0l but it is manual. I also have had Towbars2towcars fit my a-frame and tow bar. When making a sharp right or left turn it is possible to see in the m/h's wing mirrors that the front wheels of the toad turn in the appropriate direction, this avoids the otherwise inevitable front tyre scrubbing off.

OP
OP
D

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
changing from SMARTY..

Have to ask, which smart do you have, our dog 8 year old cross staffi jumps in to the back of our 4 2 and is quite happy.

Good point...plenty of room in the Boot area BUT ours is taken up with a 3 Wheel Mobillity Buggy + Batteries...........Otherwise we would never think of changing.:roflmto:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Just checked with the recovery manual, and a Yaris Auto cannot be flat towed, but a manual can.

OP
OP
D

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
...naughty 'TOAD'.......the Final word !!?

::bigsmile: Thanks for all the input Funsters......

Problem solved. Yes its quite happy being towed now.

Checked with a couple of Auto electricians + Handbook AGAIN.

Its all to do with this fancy START button keyless ignition system....on my AUTO yaris..
[All singing & dancing version '56 plate]

SO you have finished with the car and press the Start button..= Engine stop + all systems OFF. Leave the vehicle and walk away.

Thats the trigger...The door opening/shutting and so the steering lock will now be ON.

WITH A FRAME ON AND BEHIND THE M/H......GEAR IN 'N' + HANDBRAKE OFF.

LEAVE THE CAR then PRESS THE START/STOP BUTTON.....an ORANGE light in the button WILL APPEAR............[ This is the ACC' position]
[**DO NOT USE REMOTE to LOCK THE CAR....[if you wish to lock the vehicle then take out the hidden key from the remote & manually lock it. **]

THIS APPARENTLY INHIBITS THE 'Steering lock' system......AS THE " meercats" say
SeeeMPLE....

I hope this HELPS somebody out there with an AUTO/ stop/start button:Smile::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back