Jun 14, 2009
North East Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Into our 4th year
No not another 'A' frame v trailer question::bigsmile:

I've just bought a Toyota IQ and I'm now looking for a trailer to tow it on. There is a Brian James agent not far from me. Does anyone use or have experience of this combination. If so do you manage to achieve the correct weight on the tow ball? I think it should be around 50Kgs.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Brian James trailers are as good as they come. I used them for years without problem and they tow great.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
the only way to achieve perfect nose weight is to have the trailer wheels moved to compensate for the weight but only applies to single axle trailers.
with twin axle trailers just experiment with a nose weight gauge and then fit chocks so you dont go past the balance point.

incidentally make sure the trailers plated gross weight is less than the train weight of your van minus the max weight of the van otherwise you could run into overweight problems.

for example a trailer with a gross weight of 1500kg on a motorhome with a train weight of 5000kg is ok as long as the motorhomes gross weight is no more than 3500kg.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have a Brian James A MAX

I have a Brian James A MAX trailer is rated for 2,000 kgs ... it has the heavy duty longer ramps and I have to moveable wheel chocks so I can position the car where I want it ... I have mine on the RV.. and carry a Hyundai Matrix on it well loaded inside... pulls like a dream.

I have a 3,000 lbs winch (electric) fitted (Warn) and the heavy duty jockey wheel. the basic model without the extras starts around £1,850.00 the winch and chocks battery box and a few other bits can push them to about £2,750.00 .. But they do what they say on the tin.

If at Peterborough come over and see mine... If Rick is about with his 40' RV he has the bigger brother of the one I have and he has a tipping deck... he also is known to buy and feel trailers.:Blush:

Bob

OP
OP
Findlaters

Findlaters

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
North East Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Into our 4th year
Thanks for all your help. A Brian James trailer it is then. I think I'll probably go for the two wheel version in order to keep the weight down. Bob thanks or the offer but I won't be able to take you up on it as I'll still be stuck on a rig in the middle of the North Sea:Sad:, but hey! the money has to come from somewhere:Smile:

Just one other question, have you had any problem with stone chips damaging the car on the trailer?

Les

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
no damage

Thanks for all your help. A Brian James trailer it is then. I think I'll probably go for the two wheel version in order to keep the weight down. Bob thanks or the offer but I won't be able to take you up on it as I'll still be stuck on a rig in the middle of the North Sea:Sad:, but hey! the money has to come from somewhere:Smile:

Just one other question, have you had any problem with stone chips damaging the car on the trailer?

Les

Hi Les, perhaps you will make one of the shows one day.

No damage to the car.. it is up fairly high and as I balance it for the tow ball on my RV it is a little back... but a lot of American RV's have chip mats or stone guards, which are like a brush hanging down to stop the dirt getting up on the back of the RV or the trailer. Also most RV's have a long overhang after the back wheels.

Also the RV's tow balls can haul a lot more weight and have a high nose weight allowance. Plus I have fitted air suspension to the rear axle. The actual Brian James trailers run fair close to the road, so it is a case of getting the set up right so you do not drag the back end or rub out the jockey wheel. .. have a look at there site.. all the trailers are on there.

Regards

Bob:thumb:

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Dont buy new, ive had two nearly new brian james trailers from ebay i pull a toyota aygo on a two axle no probs, i dont like single axle i find they are not as easy to reverse and if you have a blow out you only have one wheel left but with a twin you have three :thumb:

OP
OP
Findlaters

Findlaters

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
North East Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Into our 4th year
I'm pleased to hear that stone chips aren't much of a problem. I hadn't concidered the effect of a puncture on the trailer, so maybe four wheels is the way to go. Do you still need the same amount of nose weight with a four wheel trailer? I'll keep an eye out on Ebay, thanks:thumb:.

Les

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
When towing a trailer....stone chips can and do happen but no more than driving the car down the Road......Brian james by far the best car trailer and will hold a good resale value.......don't buy new let someone else take the hit......plenty around at six months old........though Ifor wiliams not to be dissmissed and Bendrup in the cheaper but Bendrup won't hold it's money like the other two.

I prefer a twin axle because more stable if load not ballenced right.

Good luck hope this helps

All the best Rick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back