TOYO H09's Now "Observe" Switching From Michelin Agilis Alpin (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
As you may know from many of my numerous tyre posts and replies, I have always fitted Winter Tyres to all of our Motorhomes and vans.

The last 3 Motorhomes, including the current one, have had Michelin Agilis Winter Tyres, as do my Sprinters. However, the prices of Michelin have rocketed (Paid £50 for my Motorhome ones and £90 for my last Sprinter set).

They have been an exceptional tyre, the ones on the RWD MB Sprinters have done over 40,000 miles. Whilst still legal and passed the MOT, I am getting them changed more on age.

So, I did look at https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/mazzini/snowleopardvan/235-65-16-119-r--snowleopardvan?id=6924590215078 These are Chinese Tyres. You cannot find them on ASDA website direct, you have to google search for them to come up.

But I have recommended Toyo H09's Many times on this and other forums. These are no longer manufactured. So after a long search I have found some Toyo "Observe", They were in plentiful supply in 235/65/16C 115/113 or 121/119 LI Until December. Though rare as hens teeth at the moment.

I will get them fitted and update the forum with a review.

Interestingly, the new "Observe" from TOYO seem like a copy of the Michelin Agilis Alpin. The Good thing, "Made in Japan"

Tyres were £78 each, Delivered Inc VAT. This compares well to tyreleader and oponeo who were charging £90 per tyre in December. Pnues online could not ship due to Brexit but were £101 each anyway.

I will get them fitted locally. Usually get charge £7.50 per tyre, mates rates. But £15-£20 a tyre is the norm.

Photos show new Toyo Observe,
v Micehlin Alpin and the old HO9's
B31535C6-F357-4A89-B867-CC9333EDBAB8.jpeg
C5D681D6-5A5E-483F-9DD4-3E46CE1CB256.jpeg
3855A82F-9FF0-4C57-BCA6-2A408D57153F.jpeg
E31ED769-9BE5-4AE7-965F-17266E6589E4.jpeg
9ADE3E78-D13F-45BB-B6FD-52C8D3D584E2.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I think Lenny HB has fitted the Toyo's recently and seems well impressed.(y)

Another one to consider based on a recent review recommendation, and it truly is an all weather/all terrain tyre is The BF Goodrich all terrain KO2, normally fitted to 4.4's but seem to be OK for Fiat FWD.
I have just watched a guy returning from Portugal, through Spain, up into France in snow covered roads, praising them to the hilt.
He shows film footage of his return to the UK last week along snow drifted main roads, and he wasn't hanging about, last week if you remember was bad for snow in Spain, especially round Madrid region.

He has taken his Burstner coach built MH to some lovely wild spots along many flat, but well off main road loose surfaces that I wouldn't have without the fear of getting stuck.

You would have thought the DB levels would be much higher than a "normal" van tyre but apparently he has found no discernible difference at all speeds in road noise despite the more rugged tyre pattern, and the reviews reflect the same & that they are hard wearing.
He is also very impressed with the more secure steering feedback, of his new tyres on all roads at all speeds.
Other reviews I have read also report good longevity & reliability.
However.
Its always great when you have someone else doing the tyre test and reporting back, before you take the plunge, I will be watching this guy in the future to see how he fairs in the coming months as he does quite high mileages being a full timer.
It will be a couple of years at least before I need to change tyres, maybe much longer judging by this years achieved mileage.
LES

Last edited:
OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I think Lenny HB has fitted the Toyo's recently and seems well impressed.(y)

Another one to consider based on a recent review recommendation, and it truly is an all weather/all terrain tyre is The BF Goodrich all terrain KO2, normally fitted to 4.4's but seem to be OK for Fiat FWD.
I have just watched a guy returning from Portugal, through Spain, up into France in snow covered roads, praising them to the hilt.
He shows film footage of his return to the UK last week along snow drifted main roads, and he wasn't hanging about, last week if you remember was bad for snow in Spain, especially round Madrid region.

He has taken his Burstner coach built MH to some lovely wild spots along many flat, but well off main road loose surfaces that I wouldn't have without the fear of getting stuck.

You would have thought the DB levels would be much higher than a "normal" van tyre but apparently he has found no discernible difference at all speeds in road noise despite the more rugged tyre pattern, and the reviews reflect the same & that they are hard wearing.
He is also very impressed with the more secure steering feedback, of his new tyres on all roads at all speeds.
Other reviews I have read also report good longevity & reliability.
However.
Its always great when you have someone else doing the tyre test and reporting back, before you take the plunge, I will be watching this guy in the future to see how he fairs in the coming months as he does quite high mileages being a full timer.
It will be a couple of years at least before I need to change tyres, maybe much longer judging by this years achieved mileage.
LES

Thanks Les,

Great post.

The only problem I see with the BF Goodrich all terrain is that they are not "C" rated 8 or 10 ply commercial tyres, from what I know. They may well have the correct LI, but should be C rated for commercial vehicles or Motorhomes.

The other thing is. A/T Tyres are good in Snow and mud. But dont compare with Winter tyres for Ice.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Thanks Les,

Great post.

The only problem I see with the BF Goodrich all terrain is that they are not "C" rated 8 or 10 ply commercial tyres, from what I know. They may well have the correct LI, but should be C rated for commercial vehicles or Motorhomes.

The other thing is. A/T Tyres are good in Snow and mud. But dont compare with Winter tyres for Ice.
I am not sure which tyre if any would be better on ice, I think I would like yourself park up and not take a chance.
However have a look at this prolific vloggers review on The BF Goodrich AT tyres, he has assured us that he has matched up the load ratings required, but he is running at 3850KG's.
I know he had to get home from Portugal to the UK FAST to beat the additional paperwork deadline, but I wouldn't have fancied the run he did in such a limited time.
Check out from 8 minutes into this video.
Cheers
LES

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Someone may shoot me down for saying this as it may be bulsh@t but since Michelin stopped making tyres in this country, their performance appear to have got worse, with poorer grip and less miles, is it me ? I used Michelin’s across 7 motors until 4 yeears ago when I-replaced them on a Nissan Pathfinder for BFG AT which were far better on the road and off road they got me across mud and snow no problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I reckon I need to change my tyres this year so had a look about, I found Toyo NanoEnergy at a good price compared to other suppliers. Has anyone tried them ?

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
If any of you are eligible for a Costco card they regularly have tyre offers on Michelin & Bridgestone

I bought 2 Michelin pilot sport 3 tyres 195-50-15 for £55 each fully fitted and balanced a few weeks back

Mytyres were £66 each plus fitting

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I reckon I need to change my tyres this year so had a look about, I found Toyo NanoEnergy at a good price compared to other suppliers. Has anyone tried them ?
Great tyre used by all the BMW race drivers had them on my private BMW good int wet great for cornering at speed good stopping and quite.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Had the tread start to lift off on a 3 year old pair of Bridgestones on daughter’s mini. They were 3 peaks with the snowflake bought for their wet weather performance!

On the Peterborough Fun site today my Michelin shod tag did not get stuck but mate with Continentals did. Nuff said!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
An Update on the Toyo V Michelin

The Toyo seem to be wearing faster than the Michelin, they came new with less tread depth than the Michelin from new too.

They don't grip as well in the Wet as the Michelin.

I will update when we get ice/snow
Different to my experance, tread depth was the same as the Michelin campers 10mm. Grip far superior in the wet and on gravel.
Wear rate is much higher on the front but lower on the rear being a winter tyre I expected higher ware rates.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I am finding my agilis cross climates are really grippy and a comfortable ride, I have had the cross climates on my cars for last eight years without any failures and always delivered on grip and ride😊

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Yes I fitted two Nanoenergy but only done about 50 miles so far so can't really give a review. But so far feel good and no problems to report. They seem to give a similar ride to Observe.
They replaced Observe as I couldn't get any of those in November, plus I was a little disappointed with the Observe on the front axle, I only got 15k miles from them. The rears still have 6.5 - 7mm of tread.
I appreciate it's not recommended to have winters on the back and all season on the front but I figure on a motorhome it's not going to matter hopefully, ie no enthusistic cornering likely etc

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Just completed 900 miles after having Toyo Observes fitted on the front axle. Definitely quieter than the Michelin Agilis that they replaced.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Different to my experance, tread depth was the same as the Michelin campers 10mm. Grip far superior in the wet and on gravel.
Wear rate is much higher on the front but lower on the rear being a winter tyre I expected higher ware rates.
What Michelin tyres did you have fitted previously Lenny ?

I have run three motorhomes and two vans on Michelin Alpin Winter tyres.

These Toyo started off with less tread depth .

The Toyo cost 1/2 what the Michelins were at the time. But I did get a bargain with my last set of motorhome Michelin Alpins at £50 each .

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Yes I fitted two Nanoenergy but only done about 50 miles so far so can't really give a review. But so far feel good and no problems to report. They seem to give a similar ride to Observe.
They replaced Observe as I couldn't get any of those in November, plus I was a little disappointed with the Observe on the front axle, I only got 15k miles from them. The rears still have 6.5 - 7mm of tread.
I appreciate it's not recommended to have winters on the back and all season on the front but I figure on a motorhome it's not going to matter hopefully, ie no enthusistic cornering likely etc
I ended up fitting Nexen Roadian CT8’s, have since sold the van that I fitted them to but was very happy with them. I now have Nankang AW8’s on my Carthago since uprating the payload, have done around 3000 miles with them and very happy with the handling and ride. The AW8’s as the name suggests are all weather tyres but have the 3 snowflakes symbol on them, have used them in 30 plus in Spain.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
What Michelin tyres did you have fitted previously Lenny ?

I have run three motorhomes and two vans on Michelin Alpin Winter tyres.

These Toyo started off with less tread depth .

The Toyo cost 1/2 what the Michelins were at the time. But I did get a bargain with my last set of motorhome Michelin Alpins at £50 each .
I found the Agilis Alpins quite scary approaching 60mph, with my current Nankang’s I’m doing that plus and don’t have the same issues.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back