Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
August 2017 (ish)

We purchased an A frame (supplied and fitted) from www.towtal.co.uk
Upon fitting, our first impression was that we were not happy that they cut a hole in the body of the front of our VW UP without prior warning. We drove away, feeling a bit miffed, and then noticed that the brakes were hard to press. It had resistance.
We phoned them the next day and were advised that if we didn't like the "feel" of the brakes, we should just detach the cable from the peddle until it was needed for towing!

We used the vehicle as a runaround and towed it once or twice on short journeys. Everything seemed to be fine. We still weren't happy with the braking system and noticed that the cable that protruded from the front of the vehicle was a little stiff. We contacted Towtal again to let them know this and they said it was normal.

Our next trip was our longest trip, to Shell Island. We arrived safely but noticed that the brakes were squeaking once we drove it, but put it down to dust etc and it seemed to wear off.

Our journey home was a different matter. We had hitched up and towed about 4 miles when I felt a slight resistance from the car behind and immediately stopped. Upon checking on the vehicle, I saw flames licking out from both front wheels. I managed to blow one out whilst Lisa was frantically filling a bowl of water (Fire extinguisher is now on board and not left in garage!). By the time the water arrived, I had managed to blow second wheel flames out and threw the water over both wheels for good measure.

Car relayed home and reported to Towtal. They sent an engineer out to look at the car and we were feeling confident that it was just a formality. After some very lengthy conversations with the most arrogant person ever, he advised us that he wanted to tow our car back (with no brakes) on the back of a vauxhall corsa van! and they would inspect our car and repair it with non genuine parts. You can imagine our response!!

Anyway, long story short.....he took the car, they inspected, they admitted fault, they returned the car, our mechanic inspected and replaced the whole brakes and they paid the bill. No compensation, we were supposed to be grateful for them paying the bill.

After the repair, the tow cable was still sticking and we told them that we were not happy to use their product and requested a full refund. We had lost confidence in their system and didn't want a repeat performance of a car catching fire.

They reluctantly gave us a full refund.

Would we recommend them? No, sorry, not based on our personal experience.

(a very shortened account of a horrible experience with Towtal and their staff)

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Watch out for the second installment with another company (we are jinxed!!!)

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I'm sure I've seen those words here before but the flames were bigger.
Not from us Brian ....it only caught fire once and this is first time reviewing ....are you remembering Armataghes of Wakefield setting fire to a csr back in 2007 ish
Terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Our UP! Brakes squeak for the first couple of applications. No A frame kit fitted, it must be normal (y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
...are you remembering Armataghes of Wakefield setting fire to a csr back in 2007 ish
Terry

That might be it. I just remember a badly fitted A-frame burning a car.

No wonder all sensible countries have made A-frames illegal.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
That might be it. I just remember a badly fitted A-frame burning a car.

No wonder all sensible countries have made A-frames illegal.

Nowt wrong with A frames Brian, it's down to the muppets that fit them.....when they work, they're great. Just gotta sift through the crap to get a good one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back