Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You leave a key in the ignition on the first click to release the steering lock for towing. With a inertia system you use a bungee cord from the brake pedal to the seat, to return the brake pedal if it sticks on !! I always thought this a bit of a Heath Robinson set up so the next toad I bought had an electric system fitted

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
there are not any issues with the ignition key, I just make sure its not in gear by stopping short, selecting N, turn the engine off remove the key. test by rolling the car up to the tow hitch it should roll freely. once onto the tow bar I have a quick check round close doors & windows then lock the car on the key.

As for the steering it has nothing to do with the A Frame it relies upon the steering geometry to return to centre (Castor and KPI). another way to think about it if you had your car on a flat surface and you placed steering lock on it say 30 degrees then pushed the car it would attempt to straighten the steering, the rate of change would be proportional to the forward speed.

OP
OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
there are not any issues with the ignition key, I just make sure its not in gear by stopping short, selecting N, turn the engine off remove the key. test by rolling the car up to the tow hitch it should roll freely. once onto the tow bar I have a quick check round close doors & windows then lock the car on the key.

As for the steering it has nothing to do with the A Frame it relies upon the steering geometry to return to centre (Castor and KPI). another way to think about it if you had your car on a flat surface and you placed steering lock on it say 30 degrees then pushed the car it would attempt to straighten the steering, the rate of change would be proportional to the forward speed.
thanks for that,,,,,double checked today been to another smart dealer and they say YES it can be towed so long as in (N) .....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The Smart will have a problem if for any reason it is in gear. Ours must have been some years back, as we set off down the road and got up to speed there was an almighty thump and most of the gearbox was dumped on the road. An expensive repair. Since then we have had toads with a straightforward manual gearbox.

OP
OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
The Smart will have a problem if for any reason it is in gear. Ours must have been some years back, as we set off down the road and got up to speed there was an almighty thump and most of the gearbox was dumped on the road. An expensive repair. Since then we have had toads with a straightforward manual gearbox.
cant have one with manual as only got a right leg....thats why bought smart with trip tonic gear box,,,fingers crossed as cant cross my legs too, that all will be ok ......:(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back