towing

sean n maggie

Free Member
MH
autotrail
Exp
Well finally took MH plus toad on trailer to be weighed today,,,,,gtw 4620 on MH plate,,, MH plus trailer plus toad all loaded 4700.........:( looks like trailer going and A frame coming..........Been to Armitages today and they showed us an official letter showing no changes in October 2014 regarding A frames........

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
That seems low for a train weight our Kontiki was 3500kg and the train weight was 5500kg.
Our last motorhome was 3800kg and could tow 1700kg.

The panel van we have now is:
3500kg
5500kg
1750kg front axle
1900kg rear axle
Are you sure you are reading the right plate, if your motorhome is conversion on a ALCO chassi you need the builders plate so make sure you are looking at that plate.
(y) Bob.

OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
MH
autotrail
Exp
That seems low for a train weight our Kontiki was 3500kg and the train weight was 5500kg.
Our last motorhome was 3800kg and could tow 1700kg.

The panel van we have now is:
3500kg
5500kg
1750kg front axle
1900kg rear axle
Are you sure you are reading the right plate, if your motorhome is conversion on a ALCO chassi you need the builders plate so make sure you are looking at that plate.
(y) Bob.

Attachments

OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
MH
autotrail
Exp
thanks everyone,,,,A frame being fitted to toad next wednesday,,,and trailer on the market.....i should be well under GTW then,,,,,:(

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Blimey that's not good, before you go any further down the a frame route, look into it because I think they go by the plate on the car and not what the car would weigh on a weigh bridge. o_O Bob.

peter marshall

Free Member
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Well finally took MH plus toad on trailer to be weighed today,,,,,gtw 4620 on MH plate,,, MH plus trailer plus toad all loaded 4700.........:( looks like trailer going and A frame coming..........Been to Armitages today and they showed us an official letter showing no changes in October 2014 regarding A frames........

Just a point if you ae going abroardie Spain and others A frames will sometimes get pulled over and find. Pete :(

Ps what does it say on the plate under the bonnet ? that weight seems very low.

vwalan

Funster
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
doesnt matter what it says under the bonnet . the m,home constructors have possible lowered the train weight because of chassis changes . but their plate is the important one . at the moment .

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Hi, you should be OK then, we had a new Smart on a Smart trailer the plate was 1300kg, so I'm thinking the car was about 900kg.
Is it electronic braking I have lost track on the new laws, but seems thats the way to go.:D

A few years ago we had an a frame, and one day the cable jammed causing the brakes to bind, the only reason I stopped was noticing I had lost a wheel trim on the car, It had boiled the fluid and the brakes were nearly on fire.(n)

And then there was this; http://motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/smart-car-catches-fire.34983/

But hundreds of people use a frames and never a problem, don't take me as negative we loved ours but being in Spain over winter, it was no good for us, just pointing it out. (y) Bob.

Larrynwin

Funster
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2004
We always stop about ten minutes after setting off with a frame/toad to check all ok including wheels for heat.

OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
MH
autotrail
Exp
manual says not to tow for more than 50km but is this just a general wording in the manual or is it for safety reasons ?...does anyone know ?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
MH
A Class Le Voyageur
Exp
since 2008
manual says not to tow for more than 50km but is this just a general wording in the manual or is it for safety reasons ?...does anyone know ?
That might be due to the strength of the rear chassis extensions???

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
MH
Low profile Majestic.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
To be quite honest, if I read that I would look for some thing else..:(

I do the same as Larry, stop after a few miles and check... and have done over 200 miles with out checking or any problems...(y)

The electronic braking is the only safe sure way... just my unbiased opinion.. :)

"Sorry"... I thought it was the "A" frame manual that said no more than 50 kilometers..

OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
MH
autotrail
Exp
To be quite honest, if I read that I would look for some thing else..:(

I do the same as Larry, stop after a few miles and check... and have done over 200 miles with out checking or any problems...(y)

The electronic braking is the only safe sure way... just my unbiased opinion.. :)
is this what you have old-mo ? or what you think is safest ?

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
MH
Low profile Majestic.
Exp
is this what you have old-mo ? or what you think is safest ?
I have the Tow-bar-2-tow car set up.. It was recomended by a few on the RVOC site, and I have done approx 3,000 miles and it is a fantastic system.

It`s been behind a Yank Tank and the one we have now... Even Toyota were impressed when we had the car`s first service a couple of months ago..

Only problem is.... they are not cheap... :(

P.S.. This is their website = http://www.tow-bars2tow-cars.co.uk/about_us.php

OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
MH
autotrail
Exp
I have the Tow-bar-2-tow car set up.. It was recomended by a few on the RVOC site, and I have done approx 3,000 miles and it is a fantastic system.

It`s been behind a Yank Tank and the one we have now... Even Toyota were impressed when we had the car`s first service a couple of months ago..

Only problem is.... they are not cheap... :(

P.S.. This is their website = http://www.tow-bars2tow-cars.co.uk/about_us.php
just looked at them,,,,they sound and look great,,,

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
MH
Low profile Majestic.
Exp
Not sure of the exact price, as we bought the Toyota from them all ready rigged up..

But as most know...Me being a bit thick... I can even hook up without any problems in under a minute... So can the wife... :D

There is even a button on the computer by the brake pedal that you press and it test`s every thing... and a bonus you only use the M.Home batteries for lights and indicators... thus no chance of flattening the car battery..(y)

SMC Motorhomes Newark
RoadPro
Johns Cross
Safeguard Motorhome Insurance
Rhino Installs
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Free Club Stickers
Dave Newell Leisure Vehicle Services