Towing (1 Viewer)

philduncan

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Funster No
Hello,

we are fairly new to this having bought a 2000 Swift Kontiki at the beginning of 2009. We did a trip from Aberdeen to Normandy and survived that ok and have done several shorter trips around Scotland.

Having decided that we like this game we took the large step of upgrading to Swift Kontiki 679 Tag Axle. We are now interested in towing a SMART car and would like any advise on this, it is not the intention to use a trailer but an A frame.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated,

thanks
Phil

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi phil and welcome.....

i beleive there are differing transmisions on the smarts and there is a sequence to be able to tow.

others, who tow a smart car, will be more helpful but i think it needs ignition on and possibly the engine running before selecting neutral otherwise the selector shows neutral but it is, in fact, still in gear.
once nuetral is definately selected, ignition off and steering unlocked.

as i said others will be along soon to help.

Last edited:

potjoe

Free Member
Aug 27, 2007
Telford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
two year
"A Frame

Hi ,we tow Smart 07 reg fortwo with a Auto-Trail Tagg No problems all we do is to drive car upto back of m-home and fit the "A" frame and move car by Hand put onto tow ball that way YOU no it is in Nuetral and that is it ,there is NO steering lock on smart cars i think upto 07/08 IE old model.Can not say for the 1000cc model other than to say I THINK they are ok on "A" frame hope that helps.

Happy new year to all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Phil, I know some have had trouble towing Smarts in gear and blowing the gear box.:cry: And we decided on a trailer, I know with ours you cant get the key out of the ignition unless its in Neutral or Reverse that's a new one. But I think with the older ones that may not be the same, but I don't know, they don't have a steering lock, when you take the key out it locks the gear stick.:Smile: We had an A Frame on our last car and loved it. ::bigsmile: But could not risk it with a new car, just in case..................Jane would Kill Me .:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

Oh and I should have said:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Welcome to Motorhome Fun.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back