Towing with an A frame - Who does this? (1 Viewer)

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Think I will be going for an A frame to tow in UK - although I'll carry on with research before a final decision (don't need this until next year).

Thanks to all for your help - it's been remarkable civil :)

Now, I'm thinking of adding a wood burning stove to the back of the van This will be used in transit as well, but won't be left unattended, as the Missus will be in the back whilst travelling.

She will be on a side facing seat, so no need for a seat belt making it an easy job to stoke the fire.

Thoughts :) :) :)
This should be ok as long as you don't use petrol to start the fire. (Diesel is probably ok). I'm curious though, is this going to be used for space heating or hot water too. If water, maybe you could add a brass bed head and footboard following the Steptoe design.

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
Oh no! I have only just found this thread. I will just have to start at the beginning and binge.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Oh no! I have only just found this thread. I will just have to start at the beginning and binge.
... what on the 'thread postings' or popcorn???? :LOL:

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
We tow a VW up on a smart tow A frame. 150 bhp Hymer B544. We have watched people struggling with trailers and for us it looks too much like hard work. The A frame is efficient, light, easy to connect and tow and gives us choices without too many compromises. Although with electric bikes we now do not seem to need the car that much. We tow in the UK and Europe EXCEPT SPAIN. An email note back from the Spanish Authorities maybe helpful:
Consulado General de España
Tel: +44 20 7589 8989 | Fax: +44 20 7581 7888
Email: cog.londres@maec.es
Consulado General de España | Spanish Consulate General
20 Draycott Place, London SW3 2RZ

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Martínez Estevez, Ricardo
Enviado el: jueves, 03 de octubre de 2013 10:49
Para: . Con. Londres
Asunto: RE: Towing a car

Towing a car behind a motor home using an A-frame is illegal in Spain and you will be fined for using one. For further information please visit the Dirección General de Trafico http://www.dgt.es/.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Don't think I've mentioned this before, but about a week ago we were travelling behind a French MH with a small car on an a-frame (can't remember what it was now!) and it weren't half moving around from side to side as they drove along, I assume this was due to the front wheels of the car hitting potholes etc and turning/snaking a bit ... didn't make for easy watching!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I assume this was due to the front wheels of the car hitting potholes etc and turning/snaking a bit
I have known this to happen to a Smart for Two on an a frame. Usually started by a pot hole or mini roundabout hump but only at slow speed and when pulling away on a turn. Can be cured by damping the steering wheel.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I have a Smart For2 on an A frame and it is under constant surveillance from my rear view camera. I have not yet experienced any snaking or even a wobble. However, mine is the Cabrio ( as @Minxy Girl knows!) so has the wider tyres front and back which has a tendancy to dampen the steering. As my Moho has 2 different wheel tracks front and back, and the toad also has 2 different wheel tracks, it can be a bit concerning when there are motorway ruts, but nothing to worry about so far

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Morning All,

I'm after some advice please about toad-mobiles.

We've never really considered towing a car during our 12-months of MoHo ownership but during our recent visit(s) to Scotland we realised that our large white Tupperware box did not fit well down a number of roads.

I met a fellow motorhomer the other week who had lost the use of his entire right arm and yet he could throw his Citroen on and off the A-frame with incredible ease. This got me thinking.

My wife has the new Open Edition Mini Cabriolet @ circa 1300kg in weight but like every Mini these days it's no longer mini in size.

Having no toad experience at all (I have lots of general towing experience though), we've sort of discounted the use of the Mini as a toad-mobile, however; we're now thinking of purchasing a new 71BHP Smart Car (the cheapest one) to stick on the back.

Do any you of guys have any thoughts on

1. Using the mini as a toad.
2. Buying a new Smart.
3. Buying an older-style Smart (any reliability issues).
4. Any drawbacks of the new Smart on a A-Frame.

EDIT: The big question - Our van is registered at 3,650Kg and on the weighbridge the other day our rear axle came in at 1,900kg (max permissible is 2,000kg). Am I stuffed with only having a small allowance remaining in terms of tow bar (35-40kg) and whatever the extra downward force of the a-frame produces.

Apologies for the long post.

Regards to all,

Andrew

Last edited:
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I did have some snaking problems when I towed my Smart on an A frame though many don't. I think it may depend on model, I had a 2010 diesel but found a cure by damping the steering wheel. No problems at all with the VW up I now tow. As for rear axle weight you could possibly move a couple of heavy items from the rear of your moho to the car, provided you are not exceeding the train weight of the towing vehicle. Not all a frames weigh the same, my first one was hernia inducing at 20+kg, my new one is only 13kg and it makes a big difference.

You will see a whole range of views on legality earlier in this thread and you will need to make your own mind up on this. No one seems to get into trouble in the UK.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Our van is registered at 3,650Kg and on the weighbridge the other day our rear axle came in at 1,900kg (max permissible is 2,000kg). Am I stuffed with only having a small allowance remaining in terms of tow bar (35-40kg) and whatever the extra downward force of the a-frame produces.

Basically yes.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
There should be negligible downward force in the towbar from an A frame. Just about half the weight of the frame itself.

It's still a weight. Coupled with the weight of the tow bar he doesn't have yet plus any variation to what's he's carrying in the garage he would be far too close for comfort.

Nobody should be advised to run their axles right at the limit.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
That's all very useful stuff - thanks guys.

Our 1,900kg rear axle weight included the garage items plus full water @ 135kg/litres. We can run quite happily with only 50-litres in the tank (tank behind rear axle) so in theory I could bring at least another 85-100kg to bear.

If I have circa 200kg to play with (Nick - I note your point regarding axle weights) then what would be my weight considerations:

1. 35kg minimum for tow bar.
2. 13-20kg for A-frame.

...........are there any other weights to consider or any other weights that would affect my rear axle (or should I just add half the weight of the A-frame again).

Thanks All,

Andrew

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Don't think I've mentioned this before, but about a week ago we were travelling behind a French MH with a small car on an a-frame (can't remember what it was now!) and it weren't half moving around from side to side as they drove along, I assume this was due to the front wheels of the car hitting potholes etc and turning/snaking a bit ... didn't make for easy watching!
& you can tow at up to 130km/hr in France as well.Frighteningª!

That's all very useful stuff - thanks guys.

Our 1,900kg rear axle weight included the garage items plus full water @ 135kg/litres. We can run quite happily with only 50-litres in the tank (tank behind rear axle) so in theory I could bring at least another 85-100kg to bear.

If I have circa 200kg to play with (Nick - I note your point regarding axle weights) then what would be my weight considerations:

1. 35kg minimum for tow bar.
2. 13-20kg for A-frame.

...........are there any other weights to consider or any other weights that would affect my rear axle (or should I just add half the weight of the A-frame again).

Thanks All,

Andrew
The A frame weight doesn't count as part of towing vehicle weight but would only put an additional download weight on to the rear axle

Glassman

Free Member
Sep 30, 2018
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
Some experience
What is “Aires”

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
An aire is a parking place for motorhomes in France, there are thousands of them, some in town/villages, some in the country, some free some not. Germany have the same but they are called Stellplatz, in Italy Sosta's, Spain and Portugal also.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
& you can tow at up to 130km/hr in France as well.Frighteningª!

The A frame weight doesn't count as part of towing vehicle weight but would only put an additional download weight on to the rear axle
The download on the tow ball from an A frame is tiny. It would be about half the weight of the A frame itself. No load imposed from the car as all of the car weight is taken by the car wheels

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back