Towing with an A frame - Who does this? (1 Viewer)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I've towed cars on an A-frame for the past 9 years but do wonder about the merit. I'm now thinking it'd be better (certainly cheaper) to simply hire a car on the occasions that I need one.
Yes, go for 180bhp if you can, even if you don't tow.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
One down side I can see is a frame and trailer are similar price. If you're a bit skint you could sell trailer and still keep the car , where as an a frame goes with the car unless you strip all the stuff off of the car.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
There will always be the odd one as its a system that is unlikely to be policed, don't even know if there are any rules that apply .

I'm pretty sure there are rules that say caravans are not permitted on aires.

Honfleur is normally policed pretty well so I'm surprised they got away with it.

It was August and the places was packed as well so it's not like they didn't bother because it was quiet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks for the input from everyone on here - this was a far more civil thread than I thought it would be :)

I've read everything and done a little more research, and think we will end up with an A-frame, but I won't list all the reasons why here (unless asked for).

I've checked the GTW on the van we are looking at (Pilote P740GJ on 4.4T) and that's all fine at 6500kg. Not 100% sure which car we will end up towing - probably a VW UP @950kg ish or similar.

A-frame wise, I'm leaning towards one from Link Removed where an electronic power braking system is permanently installed in the tow car. Any comments on this a-frame?

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
Glad that you have checked the GTW but don't forget that this will be comprised of the plated maximum weight of both motorhome and TOAD. If you fancy an electronic system I would highly recommend unibrake.co.uk

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Cannot speak for that A-frame but remember that the cars you attach will all need to be converted, which adds up if you change them regularly.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I will be towing a car to the Birmingham NEC show in October behind my camper as we are there for ten days and it allows us to get out and about.

Personally? I think that it is ignored by plod due to ignorance rather than being "legal" How could it possibly be legal?

As for the argument that it turns into a trailer when a "A" frame is fitted? Well park your little car that has apparently legally changed into a trailer with the "A" frame on the public highway, with no MOT or any insurance or the correct road fund licence being paid!

"But Officer! you must be able to see, that that, uninsured, untaxed, un MOT'd Fiat Panda is a trailer!"LOL

Last edited:
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
probably a VW UP
I have been towing an UP for a year now and it behaves very well, better than the Smart that preceded it. I also find it a nice car to drive.

I considered an electronic braking system but prefer the simplicity of an overrun device, it brakes as hard as is needed, no more and no less. The reversing requirements are perhaps more certain on the electronic systems.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Better to avoid reversing, and avoid a jack-knife. The front wheels can resist the turning moment if not perfectly in line, enough to twist the frame (another £500 or so to replace).

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Oh, and don't forget to tell your insurance company. The A frame modifications to the car and the tow bar on the motorhome are both treated as modifications. No charge, just noted on the schedules in my experience.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
I've seen folk towing a car behind a motorhome, and I have to admit I'm completely baffled as to why they do this..

Why not just get a nice comfortable car and tow a caravan?
When purchasing new motorhome in 2002 we also bought a new Nissan micra to either A frame or trailer. After 7 years we had don't neither as we managed without so sold Micra.
Roll on to May/June this year and a lovely forum member advertised Hyundai Amica with electronic braked A frame at an excellent price so we purchased.
After having spent 6 weeks away with toad it has changed our lives, been to more out of the way campsites and small villages. Being 145 between us makes life much easier.
Just hope I pass exercise ECG in 3-4 weeks as 70 next week. Oh I will not say who is oldest, as I might not make 70.

Oh and I had caravans for 10 years but would never go back to towing one again,and my butler says he will not tow it either.

I can also leave toad at home and still have some where to eat and sleep.
After 700 miles towing the only way I new toad was there was by looking in rear camera and no difference in fuel economy.

Last edited:
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
It's not legal. It's just not specifically illegal.

Two completely different things under UK law.
I guess it is all just opinion unless it has been tested in the Courts. Even the DfT advice contains the words "we believe". However, I am happy to go along with their belief that the A frame and car are a trailer whilst attached to a towing vehicle, until some greater authority says otherwise.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
until some greater authority says otherwise.

There's no interest outside our little minority activity. Most non-motorhoming people probably don't know or care what an A frame is.

That won't change unless something goes horribly wrong and fatal accidents directly attributable to the use of A frames start to happen.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Given the dubious legality in the UK and the fact that towing abroad is a definate "No No" unless your prepared to argue, on a regular basis and pay multiple fines, a trailer must be the best option now?

Not car specific, which is better in my opinion. I bought in 2007 a little 4x4 Terios it is a five door car with air con.

I would probably have changed it by now, but for the fact that it has the A Frame fitted and it seems a waste of time and money given what we have works. Had I bought a small light weight trailer I'm sure we would have by now.

Add to this, you can reverse a trailer with no issues, and I don't mean a few feet in a straight line which is the most you can hope to safely do with a car on an A Frame, there is no modification to the car, so no insurance issues, and you can also use the trailer for other tasks when not towing it with a car on.

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Given the dubious legality in the UK and the fact that towing abroad is a definate "No No" unless your prepared to argue, on a regular basis and pay multiple fines, a trailer must be the best option now?

Not car specific, which is better in my opinion. I bought in 2007 a little 4x4 Terios it is a five door car with air con.

I would probably have changed it by now, but for the fact that it has the A Frame fitted and it seems a waste of time and money given what we have works. Had I bought a small light weight trailer I'm sure we would have by now.

Add to this, you can reverse a trailer with no issues, and I don't mean a few feet in a straight line which is the most you can hope to safely do with a car on an A Frame, there is no modification to the car, so no insurance issues, and you can also use the trailer for other tasks when not towing it with a car on.

Morning Eddie. I have thought about the trailer option, it's what to do with the trailer when not in use that concerns me.

We'll be full-timing (in UK). Towing a small car on an A-frame I'll just have a car beside my van when onsite. If this isn't possible I can park the car in the sites car park.

But with a trailer?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Morning Eddie. I have thought about the trailer option, it's what to do with the trailer when not in use that concerns me.

We'll be full-timing (in UK). Towing a small car on an A-frame I'll just have a car beside my van when onsite. If this isn't possible I can park the car in the sites car park.

But with a trailer?
I would have a small car, with a tow bar. That way when I get on to a site, if the site owners want the trailer in a car park it's a simple issue of hooking the trailer up to the car and putting the trailer out of the way.

Mind you, I saw a trailer the other day with a Smart car on it, the guy turned up, drove the Smart off, pulled a couple of levers which lowered the trailer right down and he then slid the trailer pretty much under his camper. That was impressive.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
IMG_2196.JPG
IMG_2196.JPG

Car-a-Tow compared with TAF Chesterfield

Oops not sure why same image has appeared twice. Operator error I think.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I had yet another go past me on the M40 this morning around 70+mph.
Frightening.
What fascinates me , as an Engineer, is how people can even consider that modifying the front cross member, in contravention of the CoC, then dragging it along with the wheels free hopefully to follow whilst going forwards, & being scrubbed & battered when trying to reverse, can be considered safe ?
& then think nothing of selling on what has basically been banger raced ?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
With the last motorhome I had a few years back it came with a Renault clio and a braked a frame, I thought it was a good idea till I tried touring Yorkshire in it, got stuck a few times and had to unhitch, couldn't reverse it if took a wrong turn which happens, and I found some of the small villages I used the car to visit I could have got there with the motorhome had I not been towing the car so it wasn't much benefit.

Sold the car and a frame after that one holiday.

With the new van I plan to have a scooter in the garage as I'll be full timing for a while, but as it's inside the motorhome I don't have to worry about it.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
The future Mrs Tigger won't ride anything with two wheels. I have thought of a road and am keen.. however.. I think I would rather have a trailer for it. This is purely because I intend to take some long distance trips in the next couple of years and I don't fancy trying to keep track of the mileage on the running gear of something that spends more time being dragged than being driven. (Unless someone tells me the miles clock up on the road when it is being towed) and I like the idea of a covered trailer so I can

A. Fit solar to the roof of the trailer not the MH
B. Store other stuff in it as well as the car

Otherwise I have no issues with well maintained toads.

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I've been giving more thought to an A-frame or trailer.

I think I'd go trailer route, apart from not being able to uncouple it and the Missus drive if we get to narrower roads.

As an example, when we do go full-time, we will still spend a lot of time here in Cornwall. There's a lot of roads where being able to reverse quickly is really a necessity. I think even a trailer will impede this?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have a small trailer for our Smart car. We rarely go anywhere without it. I haven't had a problem with it either on a campsite or anywhere else. If a pitch is particularly 'tight' I'm happy to park the car on the trailer when it's not in use. I chose a trailer rather than an A frame mainly so I could reverse when towing - although it's nice that it is definitely legal wherever I choose to take it.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I've seen folk towing a car behind a motorhome, and I have to admit I'm completely baffled as to why they do this..

Why not just get a nice comfortable car and tow a caravan?

We do it because we don't like/want a caravan because we like to use Aires abroad and caravans are not allowed to!
We full time, when in UK the CL/CS is usually miles from anywhere & we have a dog so a car is very useful.
In Europe we don't take the car, don't need to as mostly the Aires are near to a shop of some sort and we are moving frequently so it's easy to shop!
There is always a reason why people do something that someone doesn't understand!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
What works for one person won't always work for another... circumstances lifestyle and experience will always factor in.
Its one of those things where you try it and if it works for you great if not try something else. I've had small campers, cars and caravans, small motorhomes, big motorhomes and I've went from big to small to bigger back to smaller etc depending on circumstances at that time, I thought the toad idea was good till I tried it and it wasn't for me but I don't think it's the same as towing a caravan with a car. I think the scooter in the back will work for me this time around but won't know for sure till I've done it and see :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back