styleruk

Free Member
Dec 17, 2016
brentwood, uk
Funster No
MH
Rapiddo A class
Exp
Hi, I have a Rapido 896M that can easily tow a Smart car. My problem (or oportunity to excel), is to find a way of towing my Smart ED (Electric Drive).
Smart fortwo ED is a rear wheel electric drive car that I suppose is treated like an automatic. That is, it has P,N,D,R as a normal auto has.
I would assume that I could not tow it with an A frame (so let's see who don't read this far and suggest an a frame like they do) :)

I guess my only option is to lift it off the ground and therefore have a trailer that can do this.
https://www.tapatalk.com/topic/9083...126785-and-this-is-how-you-tow-a-smart-451-ed
This is the kind of thing I'm thinking, though I can't seem to find anything like this yet.

I wondered if there was a lower trailer that you easily fit your car onto and jack up...not sure of that.

Any help is appreciated...cheers.

Localdave

Free Member
Dec 6, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
Compass Suntor 400RL
Exp
Since 2016
What a bout a A frame Sorry could not resist...... I hope you find the answer I am sure some funster knows what is best for you good luck.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I think you're correct about not being able to tow one. All the all-electric vehicles I've studied (as an interested engineer) have the motor(s) directly coupled to the drive wheels with no possibility of mechanical disengagement so at the very least the motors would be subjected to continual wear. It is, however, just possible that that may not be an issue so the manufacturers advice on breakdown recovery would offer a clue.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Im struggling with your need for a "lower trailer"that will lift it of the ground?
There is such a trailer that lowers and lifts and does away with ramps, but are you talking a cantilever effect like a simlar motorbike trailer, that lies flat on the ground, the the hitch is pulled down lifting the bike??The pic shows very little but ive seen nothing like it over here
any why wont the ED version drive up a standard smart car trailer either tilt (No Ramps) or with standard ramps.
Why the "Lift" bit???

OP
OP
styleruk

styleruk

Free Member
Dec 17, 2016
brentwood, uk
Funster No
MH
Rapiddo A class
Exp
Im struggling with your need for a "lower trailer"that will lift it of the ground?
There is such a trailer that lowers and lifts and does away with ramps, but are you talking a cantilever effect like a simlar motorbike trailer, that lies flat on the ground, the the hitch is pulled down lifting the bike??The pic shows very little but ive seen nothing like it over here
any why wont the ED version drive up a standard smart car trailer either tilt (No Ramps) or with standard ramps.
Why the "Lift" bit???
The smart trailers I've seen seen so high and heavy, just researching what else is available before I decide. I have a motorbike triller that I've towed my big BMW behind and it was a pain getting it so high up.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
My Smart Brian James is 11" ground to load platform.
UK does a variety of tilting trailers, the only UK lowering one seems to have disapeared from the interweb.
I do know it never really caught on though.
You could get a custom made, ££££ is king here though.
Maybe other Folk on here know the name of the UK lowering trailer that was

It seems Germany and the US have it sorted

HERE
HERE
HERE

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
When I trailered my Smart car some years ago I used a Brian James trailer specifically designed for the car and had no problems whatever in driving it on and off.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
When I trailered my Smart car some years ago I used a Brian James trailer specifically designed for the car and had no problems whatever in driving it on and off.
Yup no probs with mine either BUT Mr Stylers got style:xThumb: Hope he's got plenty dosh too:xrofl::xrofl:

OP
OP
styleruk

styleruk

Free Member
Dec 17, 2016
brentwood, uk
Funster No
MH
Rapiddo A class
Exp
Yup no probs with mine either BUT Mr Stylers got style:xThumb: Hope he's got plenty dosh too:xrofl::xrofl:
Not too many £££'s but I'm a design engineer. When I see a solution, I feel it could be done better. I understand why these things are not available, why spend £2000 on a trailer when £800 will do the job. Sometimes you have to pay for a solution that makes life easier, most of the time, I don't find a solution and have to design and make it myself (which I have done with many things). But then, most people don't use CAD, own a lathe, mill and welder!
I'd sooner want an alumiium trailer that keeps the weight down and low. I'm currently on a site and there's two MHs with smarts. One has a trailer that lifts it high up in the air, the other has a purpose built A frame. The A frame seems the best idea and also they are pulling an auto. So I guess I need to contact smart to find out if my ED can be towed first before I go any further. I belong to a fantastic forum that deals with smart cars, I'll ask the question there next.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Ive no idea at all if the leccy ones can be A framed as the motors maybe in fixed drive ? Maybe not
The term Auto is a loose description, as a lot of Autos these days are simply solenoid controlled manual boxes
as a general rule of thump if you can select a neutral, release hand brake and push the car without much effort it can be towed
BUT each owner should satisfy themselves as to the suitability of their particular make and model.
A few have even managed to bugger up the odd smart car that has been proved time and time again ok to tow but in the wrong hands with limited knowledge who knows
Good luck with your trailer venture
self lowering axles it seems are made in the uk HERE
Geo

OP
OP
styleruk

styleruk

Free Member
Dec 17, 2016
brentwood, uk
Funster No
MH
Rapiddo A class
Exp
Ive no idea at all if the leccy ones can be A framed as the motors maybe in fixed drive ? Maybe not
The term Auto is a loose description, as a lot of Autos these days are simply solenoid controlled manual boxes
as a general rule of thump if you can select a neutral, release hand brake and push the car without much effort it can be towed
BUT each owner should satisfy themselves as to the suitability of their particular make and model.
A few have even managed to bugger up the odd smart car that has been proved time and time again ok to tow but in the wrong hands with limited knowledge who knows
Good luck with your trailer venture
self lowering axles it seems are made in the uk HERE
Geo
A most excelent link, thank you. I have enquired.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back