Towing or tugging? (1 Viewer)

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
AHH We live down by the M5 in Somerset---it`s the same every year ,3 lanes bloked heading south in the mornings--blocked north in afternoons, it must be a sat morning holiday let swap over time in Cornwall ect. :Eeek:
We tend to drive to the local motorway overpass , see which way is blocked and head off the other way with C C C book and gps at the ready:thumb:
When they are all comming our way in the summer we will be heading up north out of the way ---------Phew:thumb:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I'm not trying to be a smarta*s here, or start a row, I'm genuinely interested to know the answer to a question that's puzzling me.

On the way down to the southwest at the weekend we saw a lot of m/hs towing cars around the size of Fiestas, Corsas and so on.

My question is, what's the difference between using a biggish m/h to tow a car, and using a car to tow a biggish caravan? What's the thinking behind a decision one way or the other?

I guess what I'm puzzled by is, if the m/h is too big to use as everyday travel once esconced on a site, therefore necessitating a towed car, why not just pull a caravan with a car and save on an engine?

Name a caravan that looks good............they all look like breadbins on wheels...I feel sorry for those people that have bought the latest so called designs with black front panels......YUK...boy are they going to date quickly.

..But the main reason to tow a car on an A frame is to annoy all the people on the forum who get their knickers in a twist explaining how illegal it is :roflmto:.

Anyway its a fine example to the poor people of how the rich can afford to squander their money. Gives the great unwashed something to aspire to.

Lifes too short to be practical.....I'll get my coat.

barry:Smile:

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Don't tow a car but tow a trailer with the bike in. You can't tow a caravan and a bike unless you get a van and look like Itinerants. The motorhome is quick to set up and then we can indulge our hobby by riding the bike to explore the area. Plus the bike is much easier to park in congested or small places.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Name a caravan that looks good............they all look like breadbins on wheels...

barry:Smile:

Airstream ?

pots and kettles come to mind barry .. :winky:

Mr Whippy vans on holiday.. or are they motorhomes ? :roflmto:

ice-cream-460_779485c.jpg

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
You dont look very hard then Bob
Link Removed

although his claim isnt quite right in some respects because i have seen a Bailey with a small slide in the bedroom area although it was a one off and commissioned by its owner

Here's another idea a caravan masquerading as a RV.

Good idea we thought??

Broken Link Removed

Might get one later when we decide to stay in one place longer, wont have to start the engine then once a month but have all the comforts of a RV.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
caravans are rv,s .all recreational vehicles. rv is only a tag used by americans .
but a caravan cant be a motor home . unless its attached to a vehicle as in an artic or 5er.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
but a caravan cant be a motor home . unless its attached to a vehicle as in an artic or 5er.

how does that work Alan ? ... surely a 5er or artic box is a caravan.. just with a different hitch ?

but anyway.. it's all bollox..... whether tugged, or chugged, just boxes on wheels.. tin tents, ice cream vans.. call 'em whatever, what does it matter.. if it works for you.. it works for me :thumb:::bigsmile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
glad you asked. seems some are doing away with the release handle then as its all fixed together its a bit like a bendy bus. also they can be semi trailers because of the loading issue on the pin.
must say i havent ever been told to leave an aire.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
my reasons for having a smart on an A-frame is i have more choice.
if i was to get a caravan i would need something like a landrover to tow it as it would be a big caravan.
i use the smart as a daily runaround costs me £30 per year on tax does around 45/50 mpg
a landrover as a daily runaround would cost a whole lot more to run.
as the motorhome is over 3.5 ton road tax is £165 per year so combined tax is less than most cars. and my insurance combined is less than £900 per year.

therefore in my circumstances its cheaper to tow a car and if i dont want to i dont have to unlike with a caravan where i would have to tow everytime i went away.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
my reasons for having a smart on an A-frame is i have more choice.
if i was to get a caravan i would need something like a landrover to tow it as it would be a big caravan.
i use the smart as a daily runaround costs me £30 per year on tax does around 45/50 mpg
a landrover as a daily runaround would cost a whole lot more to run.
as the motorhome is over 3.5 ton road tax is £165 per year so combined tax is less than most cars. and my insurance combined is less than £900 per year.

therefore in my circumstances its cheaper to tow a car and if i dont want to i dont have to unlike with a caravan where i would have to tow everytime i went away.

Totally understand ..

same reason we had the RV with a toad.. we lived in it full time.. I did consider a big twin wheeled caravan and transit van .. but thought too much like a gypsy and would cause issues getting onto sites..

the only other real option was a 5er ..but decided against that as I didn't want a giant dually wheeled yank pick up truck as a runaround ..

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
so using a mini artic like mine makes more sense. one tax one insurance. unit the size of a big car living area the size of a caravan /motor home . yet only 10mtr in length .carries seven people sleeps six . i knew i was doing it right. hee hee
i forgot no mot. hee hee

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back