Towing On An 'A' Frame In The Irish Republic (1 Viewer)

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
Does anyone know what the law is about towing a car on an A Frame in the Irish Republic ? We have been told by people that we should be fine, but that's a bit vague for us. I would hate to arrive, get pulled over, and have to abandon the car in the middle of nowhere - not to mention the chance of getting a ticket.

We don't tow a car as yet, but we are thinking about it so we can get to places where the 'van might struggle a bit, and whether or not we can tow on an A Frame in Ireland would be the clincher.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We towed with a frame in the ROI a couple of years ago with no problem but whether it's legal, illegal or just ignored I don't know.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Judging by what was perfectly acceptable when we were rallying there you will have no problem at all.
I wouldn’t hesitate to do it except the extra ferry cost does possibly make hiring a car for a couple of days a cheaper option

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Spanda

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
Looks like it is two yesses then so far. And thanks for the replies Derbyshire Wanderer and Larrynwin. It's appreciated

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
We toad in the ROI 2 years ago. Absolutely no problems whatsoever.
We found Ireland is not 'motorhome friendly'. So you need your car to visit small villages and towns. By the way Galway is fantastic but I would not go near the centre in a motorhome.

OP
OP
Spanda

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
Thanks for that Donnkim. Looks like we will be giving it a go. We were in Ireland with the motorhome earlier this year and it was the difficulty of getting into the small towns and villages, and parking when you could get in them, that persuaded us that a small car on an A Frame might be a good idea for next year's jaunt.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back