W18BLA

Funster
Oct 24, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam
Exp
Hope someone can help me on this, i am quite up on most things but i need a simple answer on this one if anyone can give a simple answer.

Looking at having a towbar fitted and convert the Fiat Panda to tow what is the law on A-Frame can i or can't i.... If there is any major no no's i will leave it, We will only use it in the UK not going to tow abroad in the near future,

With a cost of £1350 all in i don't want to jump into a hole.

I dont want a caravan before anyone pops that answer in had one for 10years and MH is far better.

So some nice simple answers please..

Craig

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
If you have the storage, go for a trailer...

That way you are covered home and abroad.. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Get a decent braked A frame, not one of thoses tin boxed sectioned ones!

I use a Renault Modus as a toad to collect vans that I have bought that have a tow bar, saves double journeys.

Peter

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
80% will tell you you can, 20% will tell you you cant. 20 % will be unsure 20% will quote the law.
Craig there is stacks and stacks of arguments right accross every motorhome forum on the net all with different opinions.

all I will say is this, I tow mine, I have never been stopped although I was once but only to be told there was a problem with my indicators.

If you want to be holier than thou as far as the law is concerned then get a trailer, if you want to be a rebel like the rest of us, then get an aframe.

Incidently I tow my Panda 100bhp and it tows like a dream, adds a new dimension to motorhoming, it just adds an option.

Don't know where your having it done but towtal done mine and it wasn't the cost of yours.:thumb:

OP
OP
W18BLA

W18BLA

Funster
Oct 24, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam
Exp
Ok so it is fine in the UK and no law change coming etc..

The company i was looking at are these - http://www.towtal.co.uk/

Bare in mind i have no towbar on Motorhome so cost is with towbar.

£499 for motorhome
£849 for car and Aframe bits

Craig

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Query how the braking mechanism works, mine is a mechanical link to the brake pedal which does not seem to be on theirs although I have heard of some electrical method being availlable.

Peter

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi, I have a Fiat Panda on an A frame. We have towed it for about 2000 miles this year with no problems. Chris Cox fitted our A frame for about half the cost you are looking at. Chris is based near to you and will collect and deliver your car.
The law on towing A Frames is possibly being looked at in 2014, again I believe this is to do with the braking system. There are endless threads about this on this site. Have been trying to upload some photo's but failed! our car is an 08 1.2 Dynamic:thumb:

nb, just looked at previous posts Total fitted my towbar to a swift escape for £465 last November.Aframe £599

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
towing

Hi,Wibbla take look at car a tow website they will tell all you need to know :thumb:Ive had my toad fitted with their kit and can recommend it ::bigsmile:
Mike

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Craig do your want to be a rebel like the rest of them, :winky: I had an A Frame for 18 months and yes it was good, folds up and put it in the boot. :thumb: I did have the brake cable jam On cooked the brakes and boiled the fluid but only did it once and it never caught fire. :whatthe: Towed in the UK and France no problem. :thumb:

Had a trailer for since November 09, no wear on the car, we have a Smart you can park back on the trailer when its not attached to the van if the pitch is a bit tight, you can reverse it and it legal where ever you go, we go to Spain for 3 months so a bit different for us.:Smile:
But to be honest I prefer the trailer it follows the van and does not cut corners like the toad did, and if you have room at home to store it thats what I would do. :roflmto: Its Insured with my van through Saga and cost £19 a year where ever it is, here or in Europe.:thumb:

I had a Car a Tow braked A Frame. :Smile: Bob.

walter senior

Free Member
Jan 7, 2011
forgue aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
a clas iveco 29ft
Exp
towing

Hi,Wibbla take look at car a tow website they will tell all you need to know :thumb:Ive had my toad fitted with their kit and can recommend it ::bigsmile:
Mike
:thumb::thumb:Hi. WIBBLA. i have used 3 diferant cars behindmy 30ft motorhome a saxo. a vauxhall astra. and a suzuki jimny. and i have never had a problem. just make sure it is connected to your motorhome correctly their is a right way and a rong way i would say go for it. Walter.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Craig
I don't know which way you will go on the trailer v a frame ?, but I have a Brian James trailer for sale the deck measures 98 in by 65 in if that fits a panda I dont know, i will be putting it on E Bay shortly at a £1,000 buy it now price if it's of any interest to let me know. Pete :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back