Towing Lights Problem (1 Viewer)

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Am having problems with my toad lights when hitched to the wagon.
All the light bulbs are working OK on both vehicles individualy including repeaters.
I have dismantled and checked all the cable plugs for contact security and continuity.
When together I am having a problem with the left indicator on the toad, after a short while on the road, it will operate only slowly on the toad and occasionally will not disconnect when the indicator arm returns, it also leaves the audible device buzzing, which I can sometimes overcome by putting the hazards on briefly.
My guess is the relay device/ buzzer any other advice welcome.:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I would look for a short circuit rather than an open one.
Check the connections again and look for a wee stray wire shorting out a couple of pins :Smile:

OP
OP
Sheddy
Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Checked for shorts on the A frame cable, ok.
Dismantled the motorhome supply socket found pottential intermittent short between center black cable and yellow which is the left indicator, also found short between brown and black, disconnected and short was still in supply cable,
Where is the cable connected on the motorhome electrics seems to run to the front of the van?
Cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I am afraid I cannot help much with where the cables will run to.
If it is a modern van it will almost certainly have a can bus system fitted.. If that is the case the trailer loom will go to a control / interface box somewhere.. That allows the trailer lights to work without causing an 'error' to be detected by the van system. That could be placed almost anywhere ..

I found the one on my van underneath the fridge !!

All you can do is follow the cable and try to suss it out..

If this is a recent installation it might well be worth returning to the folk who fitted it and let them sort it out ! :Smile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sorry.. forgot to mention.. That potential intermittent short would be spot on for the fault you have..
If there is a feed between the side light and the indicator light then that would certainly draw a lot more current than the indicator relay would be happy with, hence the speed variation !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back