Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
That's because they were guardia civil and not traffico
Could well have been, I have also been told that a couple of weeks ago the police were at the docks at Santander and were telling people who were coming of the ferry towing cars on a A frame to take them off and drive them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hogan7777

Free Member
Sep 28, 2014
Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 694SL
Exp
Since 1995
No roads are roads if it was traffico then there could be 2 reasons why there weren't stopped
They were on their way to a bar for a tea break and couldn't be arsed
They had already taken their daily quota of fines that day and couldn't be arsed.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Is that because they weren't on the motorway?
No ones telling you you can't do it. You might be lucky, you might not be. A famous Clint Eastward phrase comes to mind.

But consider the implications if you were involved in a really bad smash which involved the police. I suspect your insurance would jump at the opportunity to reject your claim if the police report said your rig was illegal. :)

Hogan7777

Free Member
Sep 28, 2014
Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 694SL
Exp
Since 1995
No ones telling you you can't do it. You might be lucky, you might not be. A famous Clint Eastward phrase comes to mind.

But consider the implications if you were involved in a really bad smash which involved the police. I suspect your insurance would jump at the opportunity to reject your claim if the police report said your rig was illegal. :)
And that would be if you were still insured with them by the time you get out on bail.

Reactions: DBK

Nettie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2014
Brean Somerset
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E769
Exp
Since 2010

That's a good point.. Thank you...

Reactions: DBK

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
We have been stopped in France I produced info supplied by manufacturer and got waved on our merry way. Not so in Germany, fined and made to unhitch and drive to the boarder.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
600 Euro fine here in Spain.They are illegal .end of story, to check road laws in Spain search face book N332 page written by the Spanish Guardia and Traffico
its actually €60 fine discounted to €48 if you pay on the day of which you have no choice but to pay there and then so €48. some trafico will chance their arm and try to use different towing offences to extract a larger amount from you but the official fine is still €48.
another interesting thing is a friend of mine has been stopped 5 times in the last few years and flatly refused to pay any fine and on each occasion after some heated words (he speaks a little spanish)the trafico have given up and left.
maybe they dont want a court case , who knows.
15 or so years ago an english bloke won a case and had his fine refunded for towing on a a-frame and the court decided it WAS a trailer when towed behind his motorhome. surely if you went to court now you could use that case as some sort of evidence? if it was a trailer then then it must still be a trailer now?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
its actually €60 fine discounted to €48 if you pay on the day of which you have no choice but to pay there and then so €48. some trafico will chance their arm and try to use different towing offences to extract a larger amount from you but the official fine is still €48.
another interesting thing is a friend of mine has been stopped 5 times in the last few years and flatly refused to pay any fine and on each occasion after some heated words (he speaks a little spanish)the trafico have given up and left.
15 or so years ago an english bloke won a case and had his fine refunded for towing on a a-frame and the court decided it WAS a trailer when towed behind his motorhome. surely if you went to court now you could use that case as some sort of evidence? if it was a trailer then then it must still be a trailer now?
Or the regulations have changed in the following 15 years?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We towed the smartie down on a trailer last year.. Apart from various disasters we were complimented by a trafico for having the correct board on the trailer as we were over 12 metres long.. ( You have to have a long vehicle sign on the back ).
This happened when we had were dieseling up about half way down..

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Oh dear, how many times must we say......IT IS NOT LEGAL!!!!

You know, must not do it! I can only think that some people that " chance it" have not had any dealings with Spanish Police that are in a bad mood.

And why do people think it is, well ok for them to break the law of the land? I just don't understand the thinking. Spose those same people don't complain when " Johnny Foreigner " breaks the law in the UK.

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
Or the regulations have changed in the following 15 years?
possibly , but if the spanish court said it was a trailer back then it would be quite a good defence now maybe.
i was stopped but they didnt fine me or ask me to disconnect but i dont want the hassle . i dont bother anymore and have my car on a trailer so no issues. a good few people i know still a-frame and a lot have had no problems here in spain but i know the same amount who have been fined also.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
possibly , but if the spanish court said it was a trailer back then it would be quite a good defence now maybe.
Don't think you would have a defence relying on a repealed law but I could be wrong.

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
Oh dear, how many times must we say......IT IS NOT LEGAL!!!!

You know, must not do it! I can only think that some people that " chance it" have not had any dealings with Spanish Police that are in a bad mood.

And why do people think it is, well ok for them to break the law of the land? I just don't understand the thinking. Spose those same people don't complain when " Johnny Foreigner " breaks the law in the UK.
i totally understand what you are saying but it is quite interesting that my friend who has been stopped 5 times so far has never been dragged off to the station or impounded or even fined. after phone calls from the trafico to whoever in the background he has been told to drive on. this could be that they dont want a court case which they possibly could lose as they did 15 or so years ago who knows . another interesting point is that i havent met a french or dutch a -framer yet that has even has been pulled over . trafico seem to like uk plates!

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
On our first visit with our RV towing a car I was stopped and just advised. What really annoys me are those who on hearing that say," Oh, we have been towing in France, Spain for 20 years and NEVER been stopped". :mad:
Oh and in Spain its illegal to tow a vehicle by ANY means, rope, bar, A frame only authorised agencies are allowed

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Last year neighbor one side stopped, fined twice, now leaves car down there. Neighbor opposite not stopped. What's the point of this.. The situation well known.: (

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Bit like dogs must be kept on a lead, most do that, but some know that the rule doesn't apply to them.

A frames not legal, most understand ................

I give up!

Nettie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2014
Brean Somerset
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E769
Exp
Since 2010
I think the best point was made on this thread last night.. If you have an accident the police will be called & your insurance could then be invalid.. We all know how the British insurance companies like to get out of paying.. How much is your Motorhome worth..??

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Something wrong there then as there is NO discount for anyone who isn't a Spanish national or registered resident. Additionally you haven't been able to cash on the spot for some time.The Trafico carry card readers these days .:LOL: & they have every right to include all & every offence committed not like the UK generally does & limit it to most serious.

Also if you want to go to court these days & "challenge" a fine then it is 900€ to start the process off. The bearded one introduced that about the time of the "Ley de Mordaza" ( Basically a citizen gagging law) to prevent people who had been fined for protesting/speaking out/demonstrating, & then appealing the fines.

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
Never had a problem in Germany, But to be sure have fired off an e-mail to Head of German EU delegation asking why drivers are being stopped I wait with baited breath.

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
PS as my name is the same as an ex EU commissioner I might even get an answer!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
i was stopped but they didnt fine me or ask me to disconnect but i dont want the hassle . i dont bother anymore and have my car on a trailer so no issues. a good few people i know still a-frame and a lot have had no problems here in spain but i know the same amount who have been fined also.

They don't have a legal system like ours....while here its based on presedence (past legally judged decisions) Europe is based on Napolionic law. Where A frame use already illegal. It's not even legal here as never been tested in court...if I had a pound for every time I had to explain this I would be rich...

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
All I can say is that anyone who think they are in the right to use an A Frame in Spain continues to do so and accept the consequences if they are stopped. If they aren't stopped think of it as a bonus on your ho!iday!

But no tears if they get you :cry:.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It's amazing how many people think that laws don't apply to them or that they should be able to get away with something whether that's speeding, parking or A-frames.

The law on towing with an A-frame in Spain is absolutely clear. There's no grey area. It's very simple: You are not allowed to do it. It's illegal.

It doesn't matter who you know, who you write to or what your next door neighbours cousin got away with. It's still illegal.

Why do we have to have two threads a week asking if you can do it or if you can get away with such and such a dodge?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back