Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Hitched up a trailer and all lights worked except the brake lights... I had a look and noticed the wiring to the 7 pin plug was damaged... Replaced damaged cable but still the brake lights don't work... I have seen that the trailer wiring comes from quite far forward... But seems in good condition. Any suggestions?
It's an 09 ducato maxi

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
as the van is can bus type wiring, the two options are dedicated wiring kit for the vehicle or bypass relay. you need to find out which you have fitted to work out how to fix it

how did the wiring get damaged? if the signal wire shorted to earth, then you may have a bigger issue. assuming the wiring is now correct, either the relay is damaged or the body control module has protected the circuit by disabling it

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hitched up a trailer and all lights worked except the brake lights... I had a look and noticed the wiring to the 7 pin plug was damaged... Replaced damaged cable but still the brake lights don't work... I have seen that the trailer wiring comes from quite far forward... But seems in good condition. Any suggestions?
It's an 09 ducato maxi

Which brake lights - van or trailer?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
sdc77

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Trailer brake lights only.. Everything else works fine on both van and trailer.
The wiring was damaged right before in entered the old 7 pin plug.... Outer sheath worn.. Rubbing against bumper bar

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Trailer brake lights only.. Everything else works fine on both van and trailer.
The wiring was damaged right before in entered the old 7 pin plug.... Outer sheath worn.. Rubbing against bumper bar

In that case check using a spare flasher bulb that you can get it to light at the van socket (ignition on & brake pedal pressed). If you can then go to where the trailer wire connects at the rear of the trailer & test there.

Alternatively you could first check that the earth connection at the trailer lights hasn't failed. Switch the van lights on with one flasher going as well. Check that the flasher doesn't dramatically affect the trailer tail lights & that it flashes at full brightness. Then apply the brakes & note any dramatic change in tail lights or flasher. If anything illogical happens to the trailer lights check the earth connection to them (white wire).

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
after repairing the wiring, if the brake light feed still wont power up, you could try resetting the bcm by disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes. if its a bypass relay blown though by shorting an output, it will need to be replaced

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back