Towing a Smart car with A frame (1 Viewer)

5er

Sep 25, 2015
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel rv
Exp
Since 2003
Hi all,
Been a member of this group for a while but this is my first post.
We'll be soon taking delivery of our new to us 2017 Concorde motorhome with which we intend to flat tow a Smart for2, not sure which year yet but it will be a latest version designated 453.
My preferred choice is the automatic version and I know a lot of members might say you can't flat tow an automatic, or just put it on a trailer.
However, I've attached a technical bulletin from Mercedes Benz Smart car America that states you can and the procedure you need to carry out to avoid any issues.
I would like to hear from any members out there who have experience good or bad who might have flat towed a Smart 453 automatic.
TIA.

Jan 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade and our experience may be just misfortune or error. We had a 453. Got A Frame fitted, including required battery isolator. Followed those instructions to the letter. First time towing, arrived at destination with oil gushing from the gearbox on the 453.
To cut a long story short, we got the car recovered under warranty by Smart (Mercedes). Next day they inform us it needs a replacement gearbox and not covered under warranty due to flat towing. We spent months battling Mercedes and the Insurance Ombudsman, using this instruction document as evidence. They consistently hid behind the contradictory towing instructions in the standard 453 manual. Eventually, we reluctantly cut our substantial losses On the basis the cost of taking legal action without any guarantee of success was ,ore than we were prepared to risk.
Our advice, get Smart (Mercedes) to confirm in writing it can be flat towed. At least you’ll have some chance of things do go wrong.

Upvote 0
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
There used to be a warning in Smart instruction books.advising not to flat tow.
My friend has a fleet of recovery vehicles and they aren't allowed to use aframes or flat tow Smarts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

philmc79

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 4, 2018
East Manchester
Funster No
MH
LP Coach Built
Exp
since 2 weeks ago
Throw this one in the ring, i have a Smart EQ for4 FULL electric and no one can tell me if i can tow it with an A frame even Merc can tell me.

Upvote 0

Gaza1515

Free Member
Feb 23, 2020
Accrington
Funster No
MH
Geist 710
Exp
Since 2015
Hi all,
Been a member of this group for a while but this is my first post.
We'll be soon taking delivery of our new to us 2017 Concorde motorhome with which we intend to flat tow a Smart for2, not sure which year yet but it will be a latest version designated 453.
My preferred choice is the automatic version and I know a lot of members might say you can't flat tow an automatic, or just put it on a trailer.
However, I've attached a technical bulletin from Mercedes Benz Smart car America that states you can and the procedure you need to carry out to avoid any issues.
I would like to hear from any members out there who have experience good or bad who might have flat towed a Smart 453 automatic.
TIA.
Hi all,
I don't get it.
Why have a moho, and drag a car around?
Why not drag a caravan around instead?

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Hi all,
I don't get it.
Access to places or parking unsuitable for a m/h.
Not all of us want to cycle or use public transport.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi all,
I don't get it.
Because when travelling in Europe a caravan is not practical stopping on aires etc so for me motorhome and bikes over there and motorhome and toad in U.K.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
So why not drag a caravan?
There are lots of threads about this subject stating all sorts of reasons for towing a car and all very valid reasons no one is the same and we all have our reasons or not?
it’s down to personal choice😊🤔

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back