Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Hello,
We have a Autocruise Starspirit 2009 and would like to fit a towbar for a motorbike trailer. Autocruise/swift confirm that I can fit a towbar but that the max weightis 85 kgs. This won't go anywhere near what I need, even though I'm only thinking of towing a 125cc bike weighting about 125kgs.
Have I got the wrong end of the stick? Surely I should be able to tow a small trailer .. I am looking at the arbitrage model which has minimal length as the bike is stowed across ways.
Thanks for any guidance.
All the best
Sciac2001.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yep. you got the wrong end.

the 85kg will be the 'tongue' weight.....the maximum downforce on the towbar.

check your vin plate for the train weight....GCVW....deduct the vans gross weight (second highest weight) from the train weight (highest weight) which will give your maximum trailer weight

Last edited:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Are you sure that is not the maximum NOSE weight? Would be very surprised if any manufacturer set such a low limit for a trailer weight.

Steve

You beat me to it Pappajohn!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
I would think they are saying that is the maximum nose weight you can safely load onto the tow ball.

Your plate will give your total train weight, deduct the gross weight from it, and you have the maximum towable weight, provided it does not exceed the trailer gross weight.

Hope this helps,:thumb:

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Try Armitage trailers at ferrybridge. They do a motorbike bracket that fits to a towbar. I had mine fitted by watling engineers at St. Albans. Both have web sites.
Cheers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back