Nobby Clarke

Free Member
Jun 10, 2013
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Does anyone have experience of towing a mini on a trailer behind their MH? My engine is the 2.3 l, 150bhp Fiat and the mini weighs 1260kg. My mini cannot be towed on an a-frame as it has a viscous differential.
Any comments gratefully received.
Thanks
Paul

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
ive towed lots of minis on trailers both road and race spec usually behind 2 litre transits fully loaded without any problems you need to check your maximum train weight which is on the plate attached to your vehicle somewhere

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I`m surprised you have not had an answer yet..

Plenty of Hymer owners in the club...

I should imagine a Mini on a single wheeled trailer would tow very nicely.... if... you are within your weight limits... for the vehicle and your driving license...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
N

Nobby Clarke

Free Member
Jun 10, 2013
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Thanks for the replies, I think I will rent a trailer and give it a go. Whilst I'm within the towing limits I'm cautious regarding the ability to tow the weight effectively.
Regards
Paul

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
It won't be fast, but will do the job. Average trailer weighs around a ton, so 2.3 ton would be the effective tow weight on the back.

You can reduce the strain on the engine, by keeping momentum going. To do this look ahead, crawl towards junctions and in traffic to prevent yourself having to stop. Weight is greater when moving from a standstill.

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
just a bit heavy on that one for a modern trailer. Most two ton gross ones weigh around 500 kgs these days. trouble is here tho, the modern mini is a family saloon, and weighs nearly twice as much as the little cars usually towed behind motorhomes. A single axle one would be a bit of a hard thing to load and tow carrying a car of 1.25tons.

http://www.brianjames.co.uk/pdf/BJT_UK_2012A_MaxPrintreadyVer4_1.pdf

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I tow a TA BJ Amax trailer with a Kangoo Estate on it which weighs 1280kg, a mini would be too heavy for a single axle trailer

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back