Free Member
Apr 17, 2012
bath
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
Hi im hoping to tow my corca behind my motorhome when we go to Tenby in July ,Im looking at getting this
Broken Link Removed
I don't want to spend to much on one as we won't use it very often anyone use one or can give me any info on what they use , I would like to use a towing dolly but understand the are illegal ?
thanks chris::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
that one is only for recovery work . it as no means of working a brake .
very similer to my old one . i have used it for thousands of miles . i did recovery work. still use it but only for recovery . nod nod . wink wink.
driven sensibly they work . but think its not ideal for you.
sliding hitch and a bowden cable could fix it but really dont risk your licence,

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
As you seem to want to tow very occasionally why not look into hiring a car trailer it may work out cheaper in the long run.
Also make sure you have the capacity to tow ie. The GVW and the GTW of your MH.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
its honestly the wrong time to be buying an a frame, as the law is changing in the uk this autumn. what is now legal(ish) on the brakes is definitely not going to be come october.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
most of the aframe set ups now arent legal as a sliding hitch should put the brakes on when you reverse . thats why trailers have auto reverse brakes fitted . the electric operated ones are ok . and some others but a sliding hitch set up if fitted and working properly cant be .

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
its honestly the wrong time to be buying an a frame, as the law is changing in the uk this autumn. what is now legal(ish) on the brakes is definitely not going to be come october.

That sir is a sweeping statement that is not entirely true. Please don't generalise, it may give the wrong impression to the unwary

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
10 years after many years tugging

Thought you would get grandfather rights . Going to be lots of unhappy a frame if not.

Having one fitted tomorrow!

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
its always been very dodgy ground having a cable operated brake, as not all the brakes are working efficiently as designed. when the new rule comes in it will require all brakes to be power actuated, either by air or electric

nope, no grandfather rights as how can you prove when a car was adapted and it has nothing to do with the driving licence of the driver. anyone wanting to tow a car on an a frame will need to have a compliant brake system fitted. the same way it became illegal to use an unbraked frame except for genuine recovery at limited speed. yep, plenty of really peed off a-framers in the near future

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
its always been very dodgy ground having a cable operated brake, as not all the brakes are working efficiently as designed. when the new rule comes in it will require all brakes to be power actuated, either by air or electric

nope, no grandfather rights as how can you prove when a car was adapted and it has nothing to do with the driving licence of the driver. anyone wanting to tow a car on an a frame will need to have a compliant brake system fitted. the same way it became illegal to use an unbraked frame except for genuine recovery at limited speed. yep, plenty of really peed off a-framers in the near future

Thank you for highlighting the difference between the new type and old braking systems....but has there been any mention of retrospective law enforcement? Surely the new legislation will only apply to new manufacture, if not there will be an awful lot of folks out there with illegal trailers!!

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003

Where can one view this new legislation and all the new rules please.

OP
OP
xjrchris

xjrchris

Free Member
Apr 17, 2012
bath
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
Thanks but after all the reply's all I can say is
HELP :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
pmsl ,thanks for all the reply's I think I will by another bike as I understand bike trailers :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
info was from a mate down the pub:winky:

oh forgot to mention he is a DVSA (was VOSA) inspector. will ask him for a link to the new rules that you can all see. this ruling wont affect normal centre axle trailers, only "vehicle derived trailers" and will as it stands be retrospective. so any currently cable operated braking systems will need to be upgraded apparently. was only part of a conversation and i got the impression that there was more to come but he cant really mention it yet.

legislation takes time to write and for a consultation process. i am sure there are people with more knowledge than me on this on the forum. perhaps they would care to comment

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
This is the current DfTdocument on “A”-Frames and Dollies.

Broken Link Removed

it has links to EU directives.... useful for insomniacs...

While the DfT has set out its interpretation of the regulations, it has declared it is unable to give an authoritive interpretation of the law as this is a matter for the courts to decide. As far as the Club is aware, no one has yet been taken court in the UK for towing a car using a braked A-frame.
info on the C&CC site.. Broken Link Removed

For Information only .. I don't do A frame debates.. :roflmto:

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
an existing A frame will still be 'legal' but the over run braking system wont be legal.

You can still use the A frame but will need an electric/electric over hydraulic actuator for the brakes.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have just had fitted a new unbraked a frame and to go with it an RVi Brake 2
www.rvibrake.com , I bought the RVi direct from the manufacturer in Colorado, just 48 hours from order to my door. :thumb:

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
an existing A frame will still be 'legal' but the over run braking system wont be legal.

You can still use the A frame but will need an electric/electric over hydraulic actuator for the brakes.

Are you saying that a retrospective law is to be applied then? if so then the new requirements for all trailers to have fog lights must surely be applied to old trailers.
Sorry I think that should have been reversing lights

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back