Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am a Newbie to motorhomes but have caravaned for years
Forgive me if this has been discussed before but I cannot find an appropriate section to post in.
Used to tow a caravan , now got a large motorhome and am toying with the idea of trailering a car behind it, despite in the past swearing I would never do it.
New VW UP coming in two weeks and as we may want to tow it to France would like to hear from others who have gone down this route. A trailer would make most sense as I believe A frames are not allowed on the continonk.
The UP is quite lightweight so would probably go for a custom made trailer.
Any comments welcome re pitfalls ,experience etc. Would be probably interested in an appropriate newish trailer if anyone has one not being used.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
biggest issues are the relevant weights. train weight, back axle and trailer plated weight and vans maximum laden weight. really should be simple, but its not:thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have this Brian James Micro Max for sale , I used it for my Peugeot 107.
Complete with locking hitch, tie down strops and built in ramps , little use £999

PS new cost around £1600

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Hi
We were in the same position as you.. We had a new skoda citigo... Got a wee trailer for it... Tie down straps etc...
All worked fine.. No probs.. But we have decided to sell the trailer and get an A Frame for the following reasons.

Storage space for the trailer.....
Time spent strapping car down was a bit of a pain.

The A Frame will be very quick to connect on and off... And... Reversing aside.. Easy to tow. Ignoring Spain we don't expect too many problems abroad..

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
If a framing a VW UP! , Seat mii , or a Skoda Citigo Bear in mind it's gross weight is 1290kg plus the weight of the A frame.

So if you have a train weight that allows less than 1300kg ( not uncommon especially on larger motorhomes )

You can't tow it.

incidentally 99% of smart car trailers are plated around 1300kg.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
From personal experience with trailers and toads, anything you put on the back of a motorhome severely restricts where you can park and pitch up. It also makes it difficult to turn around when (not if) you take a wrong turning.

On some sites, pitches are too small to accommodate a trailer + car + motorhome and on some aires there just isn't enough space..

In many villages and towns, parking is almost impossible.. even in car parks.

A Toad is certainly a lot easier to hitch/unhitch than a trailer.. but you have the additional issue of legality abroad.. and risk being fined and made to drive the car.. not an issue if you can afford the fine and your partner drives.

If you are happy to accept these restrictions and difficulties, go ahead, but it's little different from towing a caravan.. which you are familiar with.. but you lose all the benefits of being 'solo,' which is at the end of the day, is that not the main reason for buying a motorhome ?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Trailing a car on a motorhome whether on an a frame or trailer is just another choice depending on your plans.
When we travel and use sites in the UK we generally take the car either on a frame or trailer. Sites over here normally have decent size pitches so a trailer can be accommodated . We have the comfort of the space and facilities of our motorhome plus the ability to tour.

We have covered many miles throughout England Scotland Wales and Ireland all with the car on the back , perfect :thumb:

When we travel the continent , bikes on the back and take advantage of the Aires which you cannot normally with a caravan.

Towing a caravan can be a risky business , not many days pass in the summer months without hearing on traffic news of an overturned caravan.
Setting up on site always seems a long laboured affair and economy with many of the vehicles used to tow today's larger caravans is arguably no better than a motorhome.
Towing a car behind a motorhome seems back to front but for us and many others it works safely

Last edited:
OP
OP
barrywi

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots of useful food for thought there thanks. It looks like I am going to have to have a "re assess" of the plus and minus points. By the way the choice of the UP as a day to day car was not based on it being small enough to tow ,we are retired and have another large car for long trips plus the motorhome. Maybe I should tow the motorhome behind the Jaguar??
Seriously its a bit like the Magic Roundabout, start at one junction and end up where you started!!
My wife did say, "why dont we buy a caravan again!" .....Help!

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Towing

Why haven't you considered a "Smart Car" particularly as you have a larger Car for normal usage?

I think you would get a Suprise as to the versatility if you tried one,we have a MHD,Auto and tow it with a Brian James smart max with movers that takes the hassle out of hitching/turning around if your stuck,though I never have had to.

We have just completed a 2000m tour coming back to the UK no problem.

Incidentally when sat in a Smart it doesn't feel small and the boot space it amazing,we can get 2 full size golf bags and 2 electric Trollies plus battery's shoes etc etc all in the boot.

Something to consider.

OP
OP
barrywi

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Car comes in a week so no chance to change to a Smart. As the car will be multi purpose and not just for towing we wanted 4 doors and space for the dog in the boot( but not when towing) the Smart was just too small. Looked at the Toyota iQ as well but the UP suited us best and has just come first in the JD power satisfaction survey in What Car so am happy with the choice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back