Towing a car (1 Viewer)

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Any one towed a runaround on an "A" frame recently, through Spain. The reason that I ask is that I have read somewhere that Spain is cracking down on this practice.

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
There are numerous reported incidents of Spanish police fining A-framers and making them unhitch and drive on in convoy, although this generally sparks a very tedious debate about whether A frames are legal or not, so be warned:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have kept my Brian James trailer specifically for use in Europe and am having our Smart Car fitted with a Towtal A Frame next month for use in the UK. We have the trailer and selling it for a bargain price to someone when I paid the brand new price for it seems rather senseless, so will keep it for forays abroad- it seems to specifically affect Spain, although someone also recently reported problems at the Mont Blanc tunnel with an A Frame and had to unhitch the car. A nuisance, but only a real issue if you don't have 2 drivers available, but there are stories on other forums of unpredictable and unpleasant encounters with the Spanish police - many of whom don't speak English and all of whom carry guns, so entering into a heated argument with them about the legality of A frames is likely to be unwise :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Judging from the parking issues at Santander, motorhomes are genrally probably not very welcome in Spain. We'll avoid the country, lots of other places to visit!!!

Laurie

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
We'll avoid the country
Hiya
Given that our trip to Morocco next week sets off from there
Can you suggest a route To Spain Avoiding Spain:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gonewiththewind

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Thanks for the response, problem is, Im a single traveler and Spain was the main country for winter warmth. unless someone comes up with their own experiences, then it looks like a trailer, just means more to maintain.:ROFLMAO:

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Hi,

I was advised recently that the French Authorities are now taking a leaf out of the Spanjsh Authorities book, ie Stoping, applying a €45 fine and insisting you continue in convoy.

He said he knew four motorhomers who had fallen foul of this revenue raising ploy!

For what its worth the trailer option is best, or source a lightweight unit, such as a dudlebug, which can be towed on its rear wheels only.

If we did'nt need four seats when in the UK, we would consider one.

Nomadic

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
We towed on an A-frame for six-months at a time round France and Spain for four years up to April 2007 without any incident. We even had the French police 'attend' an incident that we caused at a motorway toll and they carefully inspected what we had to determine whether we were being overcharged but never mentioned the A-frame as such.

Things may have changed. Some of the stories may be just that it would be good if they were posted first-hand as it were. I had heard that vehicles were being stopped coming off the boats in Northern Spain because they weren't correctly marked up.

My policy was along the following lines:- If the rationale is that the car on an A-frame is acting as a trailer and therefore 'legal' then mark it up as a trailer - make sure the lighting works correctly, there are triangles on the back, and for good measure I always put trailer marker boards and a 'Long Vehicle' sign on as well - just like an artic truck's trailer.

If it looks like you know what you're doing there's less likely to be a challenge - well that was the theory anyway.

:Smile:
Keith

Last edited:
P

parker327

Deleted User
a frame info

Hi just returned back from touring europe with an rv and a frame with suzuki vitara on rear traveled through Belguim Holland Germany Austria Italy France we had no issues with any police the German police looked at the system and liked the concept in France my son broke down he also had a car on the back on a a frame again the police only helped us perhaps has in all walks of live you get people who take there job to serious only to prove a point.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Slightly off the main thread but those of you who actually tow on an "A" frame can you tell me who you insure with and does it specifically mention the fact that the car has been modified and is towed as a trailer,

Thanks

Braunston

lookback

Free Member
Nov 30, 2007
Mareham le fen, Lincs
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
5 years
I towed my car on an A frame through France to Spain (La Manga) last December and back again in February of this year. No problems whatsoever from the police.

Insurance wise Comfort Insurance will insure your motorhome and the car being towed on the A frame. NFU will also insure your car fully comprehensive when it is being towed on and off the A frame.

As a matter of interest who, on Motorhome Fun, has been stopped whilst on the Continent for towing on an A Frame and subsequently fined and told to unhitch.

Ian

landyacht

Free Member
Apr 8, 2008
Funster No
A Frame

Hi
I am in Southern Spain at present have a Ford KA on an A frame

last time was 2 years ago have had no problems

Landyacht

landyacht

Free Member
Apr 8, 2008
Funster No
'A' Frame

Hi again

Keith makes a good point I have towing board in the cab and triangles plus an tow board on the rear of the car you do get a lot of cars slow down as they overtake to wonder how the hell it works including the Guardia drive in a professional manner and keep your speed down

Landyacht

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi we have just had a month in France with a car on an A frame and the only people that took any notice of it were the German motorhomers :ROFLMAO:They loved it and could not stop taking photos::bigsmile: We insure our van with Saga and when we wanted to insure the car as a towed we were with the Post Office and they would not cover it, so we had a word with Saga and they not only covered it but discounted it because we cancelled a policy early with another company to go with them.:ROFLMAO: Bob.:thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I towed my car on an A frame through France to Spain (La Manga) last December and back again in February of this year. No problems whatsoever from the police.

Insurance wise Comfort Insurance will insure your motorhome and the car being towed on the A frame. NFU will also insure your car fully comprehensive when it is being towed on and off the A frame.

As a matter of interest who, on Motorhome Fun, has been stopped whilst on the Continent for towing on an A Frame and subsequently fined and told to unhitch.

Ian

Hi Ian
That is an excellent question. It will be interesting to hear the replies.

Jim :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back