Sep 22, 2010
Ripon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi all,

I need some advice please.
I have a 1989 Mercedes 208D with a Elddis Autocirrus coach built body and I also have a 1997 Fiat Cinquecento. Is there any way I can tow the car with the camper using one of these new A frame type method thingies. Otherwise, It will have to be put on a trailer and towed conventionally.

comments welcome

Thanks

Gary

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Gary

no problem.. :thumb:

but don't be tempted by a cheap 'recovery only A frame',or tow dolly , often punted on ebay for a few quid .. they are not legal for anything other than recovery and have a 40mph tow speed limit.

The A frame must be braked irrespective of weight of car. There are several reputable suppliers .. expect to pay £850 - £1000 , including electrics for car .. cheaper if you buy the kit and DIY ..

I had a CarAtow frame on a Fiat Siecento .. excellent bit of kit Link Removed

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
towing

hi there,yep jims absolutely right,towing with a braked a-frame no probs.we tow a panda behind our rv.you dont even know its there so we just leave the reversing camera on to make sure its still following:winky: regards brian jo and josh:thumb: we used tow-tal from stoke great job www.tow-tal.co.uk

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cotswold Lad

Free Member
Jul 29, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Two Years
Hi
I hesitantly sought similar advice when joining MH-Fun in late 2009 and received the same, professional, reassuring feedback from members. As a result we bought an A-Frame and used it in the UK during 2010 - our first year of motor-homing (Smart-for-Two towed by a Swift Bessacarr E769 @ 41 feet in total) and had great fun. I must admit, one experience in a Devon road was enlightening. After checking the timetable for oncoming buses (Kingsbridge to Torcross road, deceptively mapped as an A-Road, instead of the narrow country lane it really is!!!) we neatly avoided a double-decker that would have confronted us, only to be faced with an unplanned convoy of 3 HGVs on a bend!!!
The Smart car and A-frame were off in seconds (you definitely cannot reverse with an A-frame) and the front lorry driver was even good enough to carry the frame for us whilst my wife reversed the Smart and me the MH, and we all parted amicably (my wife decided to stay!!). The secret is to stay cool :Cool: and always research your camp-site's access/departure route using Google Street-View, NEVER relying solely on the 'Oh, that will be no problem' type reassurances of some site owners as they simply want you there and may not be that concerned about how stressful your approach and departure is going to be.
It's far better than a trailer; it goes in a bag (supplied) in the garage; stainless steel construction and was made by a good engineer - Roy at http://www.svsautomotive.co.uk/page5.html
Good luck
David & Annie

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I suggest you fit a jockey wheel to the A frame (from about £10) which then enables the car to be driven short distances without needing to take the A frame off. It also makes hooking up an easy one person job. :Cool:

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
towing

Hi Gary and wecome
Once again you have been given sound advice. I went down the A Frame route, we went with CarATow, we tow a Clio behind a Mercedes Autitrail Scout total length approx 41'
My only additional advise is to check what weight your van can tow and make sure your vehicle fits it.
You can reverse using Caratow but you have to take it very steady but is do-able

regards
The Stig

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Gary
All advice given re-UK, is good advice , its a bit different abroad but this as been covered in previous posts you will have to have a look back in the forums to find what people have put regarding this, I have only towed on the continent so I bought a trailer to be sure I was legal. Pete :thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back