Towbars and trailers (1 Viewer)

Supertrooper

Free Member
Apr 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer B class CL B598CL
Exp
we have recently purchased a Hymer motorhome and are thinking about getting a towbar fitted and buying a trailer to tow a Smart car. Has anyone done this and if so can you offer any advice. Many thanks.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Very very very many have done it Many many many times
Whats your worries?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Hi-smiley.png welcome just a little tip if you haven't checked depending on when
https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I would sit down when you ask how much it is going to cost. The other problem you have is with the trailer where do you store it when you get to a site and what are you going to do if you have to reverse it anywhere. It does happen especially when you meet a Tractor or Skip Lorry on an Exmoor Lane and you have to reverse a couple of hundred yards.

I would also check out your Insurance for the car on a trailer and MH towing a trailer.

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
we have recently purchased a Hymer motorhome and are thinking about getting a towbar fitted and buying a trailer to tow a Smart car. Has anyone done this and if so can you offer any advice. Many thanks.
Just sold the Smarty, and the trailer died in France about 4 years ago..
I do not know what you budget is, but do not buy anything older 2004.. The old 600cc ones had a limited life without all sorts of engine problems

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I would sit down when you ask how much it is going to cost. The other problem you have is with the trailer where do you store it when you get to a site and what are you going to do if you have to reverse it anywhere. It does happen especially when you meet a Tractor or Skip Lorry on an Exmoor Lane and you have to reverse a couple of hundred yards.

I would also check out your Insurance for the car on a trailer and MH towing a trailer.
I've been doing exactly as the OP wants to for the past four years or so. No site has ever had an issue with the trailer and if space was a problem I'd park the car on it (so far I haven't had to do so). Motorhome + trailer = caravan + car on a pitch. On several occasions it hasn't even been necessary to unhitch the trailer. Sites I've used range from CCC, CMC, CS, CL and private. It is easier to reverse the trailer than a caravan behind a car and having to do so on the road is a rare occurrence (other than the need to turn round after missing a junction:)). If you think it'll suit your needs go for it - it works for me with an 8+metre motorhome :D.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
A long time user of trailers, never had an issue on a site, in fact having your lockable man shed on a pitch was always a bonus. And with kids, their bikes, bodyboards, along with countless cases of wine etc that legal extra 1.4 ton of payload was always appreciated

Upvote 0

Korgrocker

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285 - 2018
Exp
Since 2013
I don't know what Hymer use as a chassis but if it is an Al-Ko then I found a tow bar was quite expensive. Much cheaper for my Peugeot chassis with Witter extensions. Check the train weight can accommodate towing the weight of the car and trailer.

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Just watch your weights. What you are suggesting is an increase in weight of c 30 kilos AND the nose weight of the trailer - could be as high as 40 - 60kg. All to come off your rear axle weight and total weight.

That's about 23 wine boxes. The really great news is that you can put 23 boxes into the car and you will be fine :D:D:D

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We’ve been towing with a trailer for years without any problem or storage and reversing it it very easy so take no notice of the doom and gloom merchants like QFour he probably hasn’t even done it.(y)(y)(y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back