Towbar Plastic finish damaged (1 Viewer)

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

The white plastic finish to my towbar frame has started to peel where it has been damaged and some light rust is appearing behind it, is there any repair that can be carried out to the covering or can the covering be removed and re-coated,

any suggestions on the best way to repair it would be welcome

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I had this happen on an old Bessacarr we owned. I ended up stripping all the plastic off and Black Hamerited it. I don't know how long it lasted as I was doing it up to sell it. It looked OK though.

OP
OP
B

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Jim

Thanks for the suggestion I may well follow your route,

Do you know what that type of plastic finish is or what its called ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Hi,

The white plastic finish to my towbar frame has started to peel where it has been damaged and some light rust is appearing behind it, is there any repair that can be carried out to the covering or can the covering be removed and re-coated,

any suggestions on the best way to repair it would be welcome
By far the best solution to prevent any further rusting is removing the plastic altogether as basically thats a rust trap. Any fracture or crack in the coating will let damp seep in.

Once removed give the frame a good wire brushing, or if you want it done quickly without any effort and the price is right, get it sandblasted. Once clear of any flaky rust give the frame a few coats of Zinc 182. You can buy this in aerosol or brush on from any decent auto supplies. If using brush on, allow plenty of drying time and flat off between coats with very fine wet 'n dry paper.

Finally coat with either a coach enamel paint (there is a specific type suited for chassis frames but just can't think of the brand name), or smooth hammerite.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
More than likely it has been powder coated, this can be stripped and re done (google powder coating)

It will have to be removed and taken to a suitable company, it is not as cheap as paint but not extortionate either, better to strip and then repaint with white Hammerite smooth to keep original looks:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back